British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
just.me

1847 Farthing with Roman I

I have found a second example of an 1847 Farthing with the 1 overstruck with an inverted 1, giving the impression of a Roman 1.

Has this variety been documented anywhere?

post-5660-035497200 1336740883_thumb.jpg

I have found a second example of an 1847 Farthing with the 1 overstruck with an inverted 1, giving the impression of a Roman 1.

It looks like there has been a knock on the corner of the 1, which could be giving the impression of an inverted 1. I know the base of the 1 is certainly missing a serif, but I would want a clearer image, and an example without damage to the digit (where it can be confirmed with certainty that the description is true and accurate).

Can you get any clearer images/show me the other example?

It looks like there has been a knock on the corner of the 1, which could be giving the impression of an inverted 1. I know the base of the 1 is certainly missing a serif, but I would want a clearer image, and an example without damage to the digit (where it can be confirmed with certainty that the description is true and accurate).

Can you get any clearer images/show me the other example?

Hi Colin, there is a small knock to the top right. my other example is knock free. I cant get any clearer pics with my phone so I will send you pics when I can get to my computer tomorrow. Will I send them to your email thats on your site?

I sent you a picture of this one a while back along with a few dozen others. You have actually used a few of my pictures on your site.

Have you managed to get a F530 ? you were looking for one of these last time we spoke.

Just.me

I am sure you have everyone looking at their farthings now, to see if they have an example like yours! LOL! I am sorry to say that all of mine are the correct number 1....darn it! <ggggg>

Your interpretation looks correct to me - a recut using an inverted 1. But do bear in mind that recut numerals are very common in that series.

Here is a better/closer picture now I have my microscope.

post-5660-083007800 1336817530_thumb.jpg

there are 1 or 2 undocumented farthings still probably.

i'll have a look for those myself.

974647.jpg

1845 FID. type for example, no documentation of this either

Edited by scott

there are 1 or 2 undocumented farthings still probably.

i'll have a look for those myself.

974647.jpg

1845 FID. type for example, no documentation of this either

That's just a blocked die scott - I'm sure there are several threads on this phenomenon?

I finally found another specimen with no damage, a lot clearer

post-5660-0-87847300-1411818218_thumb.jp

I847 Farthing.JPG

There's a whole load of new posts just uploaded on my phone that are days old...could be my reception?

Anyway, that's got to be a normal inverted 1 over 1, surely?

I847 Farthing.JPG

There's a whole load of new posts just uploaded on my phone that are days old...could be my reception?

Anyway, that's got to be a normal inverted 1 over 1, surely?

Yeah, inverted 1 over 1. (I mentioned that in the op)

Oh, sorry, JM, I just saw the title and leapt! Oooops, I'll get my coat! ;)

Stewie

Stop barging in. :)

:D I'm all over the place at the moment, Peter, hardly know my stern from my bows!

Must try harder! ;)