British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ski

1887 arabic1 double florin.

Chris briefly mentions in his CCGB book that there are 2 obverse types for arabic 1 1887 double florins and that both are believed equally common.

These would be dies 1b and 2b, the "d" of dei either points to a bead or a space, also the cross on the crown either points to a bead or a space.

i have just 1 coin that is 1b but i have 5 of 2b, does this suggest that 1b may be scarcer?.

also looking at the london cgs site, they quote davies 540a for the 1b coin, which is odd for 2 reasons, 540 is the number for a roman1 coin and also my copy of davies doesnt mention this variety. my book is edition 1 is there a later edition that contains this information?

spink or esc dont mention at all

Chris briefly mentions in his CCGB book that there are 2 obverse types for arabic 1 1887 double florins and that both are believed equally common.

These would be dies 1b and 2b, the "d" of dei either points to a bead or a space, also the cross on the crown either points to a bead or a space.

i have just 1 coin that is 1b but i have 5 of 2b, does this suggest that 1b may be scarcer?.

also looking at the london cgs site, they quote davies 540a for the 1b coin, which is odd for 2 reasons, 540 is the number for a roman1 coin and also my copy of davies doesnt mention this variety. my book is edition 1 is there a later edition that contains this information?

Not unless you believe that when you spin a coin 6 times and it comes down heads 5 times and tails once, that that is in any way remarkable. On the other hand, with a large sample, that would give a more reliable figure.

ive checked the 3 rob has for sale and their all 2b, those on ebay that can be determined from the pics are all 2b.

peckris do you know if davies was only ever one edition?

ive checked the 3 rob has for sale and their all 2b, those on ebay that can be determined from the pics are all 2b.

Yes, Rob has bought the rights and intends to update with a second edition at some point.

okay thanks.

where would the referance davies 540a have come from if its not in an existing referance book, was there published in coin magazines/journals updates by davies which would have been incorporated into a future update?

okay thanks.

where would the referance davies 540a have come from if its not in an existing referance book, was there published in coin magazines/journals updates by davies which would have been incorporated into a future update?

Possibly an article in the BNJ or maybe added by Davies himself as he disposed of his collection via London Coins, much the same way as Michael Gouby adds letters to his own reference numbers when new variants are discovered.

Yes, Rob has bought the rights and intends to update with a second edition at some point.

That's good news. Hopefully, we will get to chance to submit information for potential inclusion about varieties not currently included and also about varieties now confirmed to exist.

I'd say so, all of the 1887 arabics I've owned have been 2+B. As a mule issue between the 1+A and 2+B, the 1+B was probably a short-lived combination.

okay thanks.

Peter continued to study silver coins after his book was published. He has found dozens of varieties, die parings etc. that were not originally in his book. He referenced these with a's and b's, even upto e's for some of the varieties found. Quite a lot of the * unconfirmed coins he had marked have now been confirmed too.

He dispossed of most of his collection a few years back and used the new a's and b's when selling them through London Coins.

The obv2 is a fair bit scarcer than the obv1 for the Arabic 1. Even rarer is the Roman I with obverse 1. I have never seen one but have been reliably told it does exist.

thanks guys for all the info.

The obv2 is a fair bit scarcer than the obv1 for the Arabic 1.

am i reading this right? i would disagree, there are loads of obv2's out there for the arabic1, in fact 2b is the normal die pairing given in davies as 541

Even rarer is the Roman I with obverse 1. I have never seen one but have been reliably told it does exist.

am i reading this right? obverse1 with the roman numeral is the correct die pairing davies 540 gives as dies 1a

all of my roman 1's are obv1 .

Edited by ski

thanks guys for all the info.

The obv2 is a fair bit scarcer than the obv1 for the Arabic 1.

am i reading this right? i would disagree, there are loads of obv2's out there for the arabic1, in fact 2b is the normal die pairing given in davies as 541

Even rarer is the Roman I with obverse 1. I have never seen one but have been reliably told it does exist.

am i reading this right? obverse1 with the roman numeral is the correct die pairing davies 540 gives as dies 1a

all of my roman 1's are obv1 .

Yes your right, I got the obverses mixed up,

Arabic 1 obverse 1 is scarce

Roman I obverse 2 is ex rare (probably only issued as proof)

thats kinda what i was thinking when i opened the thread.

ive just looked at the london coins auction archive and the roman1 proof they sold last year looks like dies 2a.

thanks for all the replies.

ski

thats kinda what i was thinking when i opened the thread.

ive just looked at the london coins auction archive and the roman1 proof they sold last year looks like dies 2a.

thanks for all the replies.

ski

Dear me boys you do get yourselves into a twist, I am sure you only post these 1887 problems just to get all my hard won research out of me.

At my current survey 33.85% are 1/A ( using Davies)

61.54% are 2/B

4.62% are 1/B

There are proof "Roman" 2/A found in the silver only proof sets

There are also "Roman" proofs 1/A not sure whether these were also in the silver proof sets or were in the later production of the 797 main sets

There are also a lot of proof like coins and specimen coins. Regretably there are also several other distinctive die varieties but more of that if I ever get to print.

• Like 1