British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Generic Lad

Bun head penny album?

Does anyone know if there is a bun head penny album with all the dates/mintmarks listed? I'd prefer something like a Dansco album where you put the coin in and you can see both sides that will preserve the coin rather than a Whitman folder where you can only see one side and the coins get discolored and ruined for long term storage. I can find Australian pennies on the Dansco site which while they should be the same diameter, it wouldn't have the right dates/mintmarks. I don't need anything too very fancy, but I'd like a nice way to keep track of the pennies I have/need in an organized fashion without dealing with cardboard 2x2s or paper envelopes in a way that is safe for long term storage of the coins.

Does anyone know if there is a bun head penny album with all the dates/mintmarks listed? I'd prefer something like a Dansco album where you put the coin in and you can see both sides that will preserve the coin rather than a Whitman folder where you can only see one side and the coins get discolored and ruined for long term storage. I can find Australian pennies on the Dansco site which while they should be the same diameter, it wouldn't have the right dates/mintmarks. I don't need anything too very fancy, but I'd like a nice way to keep track of the pennies I have/need in an organized fashion without dealing with cardboard 2x2s or paper envelopes in a way that is safe for long term storage of the coins.

The trouble with any printed album, is the large number of dies let alone varieties for the penny series, what would go in and what would you leave out. It's a series I know I will never complete even in low grade.

I think Dansco produce blank pages in various sizes, never used them though, and I've no idea whether they are a safe method for long term storage.

I use coin trays, but as you say i can only see one side

If you only want a date run with Heaton mints and a Beaded and Toothed 1860 variant there is a suitable Whitman if you can find it. I have some Whitman Library style folders that are seperate pages with plastic slides to enable removal and viewing of the coins.

I have the Viccy halfpenny one in stock but not the Penny, sorry!

Apart from Laurie Bamford and Freeman who else has got close to completing the Vickie Buns?

When I see washers going for over £20k :o

Edited by Peter

It's Mission Impossible. Define which coins there should be spaces for - every Peck, Freeman, Satin, and Gouby variety? All date spacings? Unbarred H's? Doubled letters in the legend? Missing serifs? Recut letters or numerals? 2's and 3's at varying angles? Every instance of ultra-rare die number even if you couldn't possibly get them?

Define your own complete series, and put them in a blank album using Coindex flips where you can print or write the details on a slip of coloured card that slots into the upper flip. The only bespoke albums are - for example - the Whitman series, but they only contain the major varieties.

It's Mission Impossible. Define which coins there should be spaces for - every Peck, Freeman, Satin, and Gouby variety? All date spacings? Unbarred H's? Doubled letters in the legend? Missing serifs? Recut letters or numerals? 2's and 3's at varying angles? Every instance of ultra-rare die number even if you couldn't possibly get them?

Define your own complete series, and put them in a blank album using Coindex flips where you can print or write the details on a slip of coloured card that slots into the upper flip. The only bespoke albums are - for example - the Whitman series, but they only contain the major varieties.

Or I use Lighthouse trays and Qudrum capsules, but there are similar products from other manufacturers (see the shop on this website). The beauty of these systems is that you can move coins around to only create spaces that you actually hope to fill. Labelling of my coins is ongoing so not all in this photo have labels.

post-5762-096980800 1336386777_thumb.jpg

Generic Lad,

Dansco makes blank albums, and pages, with holes of different mm sizes that can be used for coins of Great Britain. You can also mix and match the coin size openings to match the different coins sizes of pennies, farthings, etc. I have my British coins in Dansco Supreme Albums, and they work out great. I also use clear labels to identify the individual coins. An added advantage to Dansco is...they will imprint the cover with whatever titles you want. It all works out to a nice set of albums.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm really only looking to do a date/mintmark run of circulated coins (and even that will be nearly impossible to complete) and not worry about varieties so much (although I will check mine for any rarities!) as just a date/mintmark run the same way that one might complete a set of Olympic 50p coins or a set of Lincoln wheat cents.

Or I use Lighthouse trays and Qudrum capsules, but there are similar products from other manufacturers (see the shop on this website). The beauty of these systems is that you can move coins around to only create spaces that you actually hope to fill. Labelling of my coins is ongoing so not all in this photo have labels.

My respect for you is growing.

My daughters are learning all the time and have suggested online/offline storage.

get them recorded so when you are dead and gone that rare variety doesn't get sold for peanuts. :)

My respect for you is growing.

My daughters are learning all the time and have suggested online/offline storage.

get them recorded so when you are dead and gone that rare variety doesn't get sold for peanuts. :)

You're very kind. My daughters do occasionally view my penny website so know what I have locked away. I doubt I'll sell them in my lifetime. They can do what they like after that!

We are just custodians :) I have coins handed down through 5 generations.Pity there wasn't more.

My collection is worth a bit...and the girls have been introduced to their tax free status.

After all the inheritance tax paid for the inlaws my mother has developed a gambling and drink problem...sod em :angry:

Edited by Peter

We are just custodians :) I have coins handed down through 5 generations.Pity there wasn't more.

My collection is worth a bit...and the girls have been introduced to their tax free status.

After all the inheritance tax paid for the inlaws my mother has developed a gambling and drink problem...sod em :angry:

Only the sale of gold coins is free from CGT.

Don't tell em.

It is easily done. B)

Don't tell em.

It is easily done. B)

Quite so. Who's going to declare the trickle sales of coins? B)

Don't tell em.

It is easily done. B)

As long as it's within the annual CGT allowance, nobody cares.

Don't tell em.

It is easily done. B)

Even then, the allowance usually applies to individual items or sets. So as long as each individual item sale is below £6k then several sales can be made per year.

This is from the BBC website and talks about stamps, but could equally be about coins:

Question: I am in my 60s now, and have been building my philatelic stamp collection for over 40 years. Whilst I have not kept records of my expenditure over the period, it has sometimes been substantial. I have now commenced selling my collection gradually on eBay and through some UK auction houses. The proceeds average about £1,500 a month, and could continue to do so for quite a number of years. How do I establish if I have any tax liability in this situation? At present I am also in full time employment and pay tax through the PAYE system. Do I have to report my stamp sales on my self-assessment returns?

Answer: Stamps would normally count as assets for CGT purposes and so would be liable to tax on disposal. However, they would rank as "chattels" (tangible moveable property) and would be outside CGT if the proceeds do not exceed £6,000 per item.

What "an item" is might be an issue: HMRC do have some anti-avoidance rules to stop someone breaking up a set and selling in stages to keep under that limit. They say that a collection of stamps is not normally regarded as a set even if all the stamps are from one country or are all about a particular theme such as birds. However, if it contains examples of all the values of a commemorative issue or a definitive issue of one country, these will, themselves, form a set.

There may be a question of HMRC asking whether you are trading by disposing of your collection in stages. That would lead to income tax. You may be able to escape that by showing that it is the only practical way of disposing; that you did not aim to make a profit when you bought, just enjoyment. But the fact that you are selling over an extended period in regular amounts may cause some problems.

Don't tell em.

It is easily done. B)

Even then, the allowance usually applies to individual items or sets. So as long as each individual item sale is below £6k then several sales can be made per year.

This is from the BBC website and talks about stamps, but could equally be about coins:

Question: I am in my 60s now, and have been building my philatelic stamp collection for over 40 years. Whilst I have not kept records of my expenditure over the period, it has sometimes been substantial. I have now commenced selling my collection gradually on eBay and through some UK auction houses. The proceeds average about £1,500 a month, and could continue to do so for quite a number of years. How do I establish if I have any tax liability in this situation? At present I am also in full time employment and pay tax through the PAYE system. Do I have to report my stamp sales on my self-assessment returns?

Answer: Stamps would normally count as assets for CGT purposes and so would be liable to tax on disposal. However, they would rank as "chattels" (tangible moveable property) and would be outside CGT if the proceeds do not exceed £6,000 per item.

What "an item" is might be an issue: HMRC do have some anti-avoidance rules to stop someone breaking up a set and selling in stages to keep under that limit. They say that a collection of stamps is not normally regarded as a set even if all the stamps are from one country or are all about a particular theme such as birds. However, if it contains examples of all the values of a commemorative issue or a definitive issue of one country, these will, themselves, form a set.

There may be a question of HMRC asking whether you are trading by disposing of your collection in stages. That would lead to income tax. You may be able to escape that by showing that it is the only practical way of disposing; that you did not aim to make a profit when you bought, just enjoyment. But the fact that you are selling over an extended period in regular amounts may cause some problems.

Interesting. So for most people CGT won't be an issue (I'd love to have a coin worth > £6k), unless HMRC decides that a collection of Victorian pennies constitutes a set.

Given the huge number of varieities, plus the potential for new varieties to be discovered, I'd say it was pretty much impossible to obtain a generic storage facility which already had every known variety marked on it. You'd surely be best buying a cabinet and defining the limits of your own bun penny collection, much as I have done. With unmarked tray recesses, you can at least alter those definitions over time, if you wish.

I've concentrated on obtaining the well known types in high grade wherever possible.

I agree with those who have said, don't tell 'em. The government have shafted us enough already.

Don't tell em.

It is easily done. B)

Interesting. So for most people CGT won't be an issue (I'd love to have a coin worth > £6k), unless HMRC decides that a collection of Victorian pennies constitutes a set.

This is something I hadn't comsiddered. I was intending to sell my collection in about 8 years time on my retirement, just before fleeing the country. I was hoping for a big auction along the lines of what CC does occassionally. I'd like to think it would be worth in the region of about 100k by then. The last thing I'd won't to do is pay tax on it :angry:

Let me say that the highest earners pay proportionally less tax.

Corporation tax was 21% :P After I paid my wife as a director and drove around the globe a couple of times.

Gary

My idea also.Trouble is though I'm caught in the 67/68 retirement.No one has challenged this. 2 or 3 years of pension of which I have paid many times over going to some geek.

My private pension has not been added to since 2004 but I have bought art,coins,and a few nice bits.My pension is worth less today than it was in 2004.Gordon friggin Brown and his band of tossers.

Gary

My idea also.Trouble is though I'm caught in the 67/68 retirement.No one has challenged this. 2 or 3 years of pension of which I have paid many times over going to some geek.

My private pension has not been added to since 2004 but I have bought art,coins,and a few nice bits.My pension is worth less today than it was in 2004.Gordon friggin Brown and his band of tossers.

I had a nice letter from HMG around Chistmas time telling me I need to work another nine months. Trouble is it's all changing so fast it's not possible to know what will happen in the next 8-10 years.

Corporation tax was 21% :P After I paid my wife as a director and drove around the globe a couple of times.

Proportionally? Some of the buggers pay less, full stop!! The system stinks.

Proportionally? Some of the buggers pay less, full stop!! The system stinks.

I was going to comment but thought better of it :)

Edited by Accumulator

Gary

I had a nice letter from HMG around Chistmas time telling me I need to work another nine months. Trouble is it's all changing so fast it's not possible to know what will happen in the next 8-10 years.

I had a nicer one telling me that the tax rebate I had been paid against my first year losses in 2009 was not due and I owed them a 4 figure sum that was payable immediately,,,,,,,,,,,TOSSERS!

I asked the helpful chap how I could avoid this happening again and he said "the safest thing to do is keep any repayments for a year without spending them, then, if we have made another mistake it's not a problem"

Wife, cash surplus, save.........."aye okay pal" :wacko::rolleyes: