British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Descartes

Largest coin ever in circulation?

Does anybody know what the world's largest coin ever in circulation was? Somebody told me it was the fifty-CFP Franc at 32.9 mm?

I wonder if there has been anything to rival our fabulous Cartwheel Twopence in weight?

Descartes

china had some larger cash coins

967023.jpg

this is the same size as a cartwheel, but i believe there were bigger

A great idea for the hole so they could be threaded on something.

This is my largest dia coin at 42mm but only the weight of a cartwheel 1d.

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin/911169

My link They must have been in circulation at some point?! :)

One for the cabinet! Actually, better make that two, showing the obverse AND the reverse, as I can't imagine you'd ever see the other side again!

Never considered these to be coins, more a statement of wealth or the equivalent of bullion in a bank vault

I'd go for Swedish plate money

David

Does anybody know what the world's largest coin ever in circulation was? Somebody told me it was the fifty-CFP Franc at 32.9 mm?

I wonder if there has been anything to rival our fabulous Cartwheel Twopence in weight?

Descartes

The pound coins produced at Oxford during the civil war are 120g, twice the weight of a cartwheel twopence and in diameter go up to 52mm.

1644-ox-xx-370-obv.jpg

http://www.petitioncrown.com/CHARLES_I_OXFORD_MINT.html

While it might be nice to have one, it wouldn't be very handy for day to day use!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Descartes

The pound coins produced at Oxford during the civil war are 120g, twice the weight of a cartwheel twopence and in diameter go up to 52mm.

1644-ox-xx-370-obv.jpg

http://www.petitioncrown.com/CHARLES_I_OXFORD_MINT.html

While it might be nice to have one, it wouldn't be very handy for day to day use!

Hi Tom,

Oh my! This is one beautiful and gigantic coin. Extraordinary! :)

Guest Nico

The 1771 copper rouble was the largest coin I think!

35 minutes ago, Guest Nico said:

The 1771 copper rouble was the largest coin I think!

You might be right at 1.02kg, but ugly as hell and with more excess material than you could shake a stick at

Screenshot 2017-01-04 11.35.39.png

On 5/6/2012 at 11:45 AM, davidrj said:

I'd go for Swedish plate money

David

Me too. This is a cartwheel 2d sat on top of a 1743 half daler plate. The 10 daler approached 20kg.

½ daler v 1797 2d.JPG

Edited by mrbadexample

My 2 cents... or something bigger:

Silver: XVII century Segovia 50 reales, 'cincuentín', a bit borderline circulation coin as it was minted only for royal or business gifts.
Over 170g, 77mm diameter. Fabulous workmanship for the time, as all coins from the Segovia mint

spai690.jpg

Gold: 100 reales, 'centén', also early XVII century Segovia mint as well. Similar dimensions as cincuentín, 340g of gold. Biggest and baddest Spanish coin, very few minted
If you want one, stash a couple of millions and wait...

1256076002_850215_0000000000_sumario_nor

But of course, none of these are strictly speaking circulating coins, unlike a cartwheel pence, so I don't think they qualify.

Edited by Leo

11 hours ago, scott said:

I want one of those Roubles :(

As a door stop?

This Ptolemy III octobol is a bit of a lump too. 

Image burgled from here.

Ptolemy III octobol.JPG

On 1/4/2017 at 7:33 PM, mrbadexample said:

Me too. This is a cartwheel 2d sat on top of a 1743 half daler plate. The 10 daler approached 20kg.

So far the heaviest, wouldn't like a pocket full of those though, they must have had to carry them round on horse and cart

This is the 10 daler plate (think this one's in the Stockholm museum). :)

As far as I understand it, these were mostly used as shipping ballast to exchange for goods at the proposed destination (or wherever the copper price was best), although the lower denominations did circulate.

Much of the Swedish plate in the market today (about 3000 pieces) was recovered from the wreck of the Nicobar in 1987.

I don't know where mine came from, but it's almost certainly marine salvage judging by the condition. Still weighs in at 237.5g though. :)

10 daler plate.jpg

Edited by mrbadexample
  • Like 1