British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Yet another Northumberland Shilling

How many pictures do you see? Legend tops missing as usual...etc etc etc

It seems to share quite a lot of the same characteristics as the fakes that were discussed last time. With this sort of suspicion associated with them, I would only consider buying one from a top auction house or reputable dealer.

Edited by Nick

Sames dies as the previous fakes. You can just make out the scratches

coming from the mouth.

By the way Paulus how did your Australian 1763 Shilling work out ?

I hope to the good for you

post-6970-046166300 1335766222_thumb.jpg

coming from the mouth.

That's what I thought ....

It was graded as a forgery by CGS and I am awaiting a refund, fingers crossed!

coming from the mouth.

Nick is right here.

These forgeries are fooling experienced dealers.(I would love one for £20 though) :)

I really hope all goes well for you Paulus. The 1763 Shilling is now becoming well

recognised but I worry about what else there is out there, because it will not

just be 1763 Shillings that are faked.There must be other fakes doing the rounds

that have not yet been recogised. One concern is the large number of Gothic Crowns

for sale on Ebay. I've never seen so many, and a lot seem to have a strange polished

appearance but I cannot see anything that stands out as being entirely wrong as yet !

It seems to share quite a lot of the same characteristics as the fakes that were discussed last time. With this sort of suspicion associated with them, I would only consider buying one from a top auction house or reputable dealer.

Or a verifiable provenance which pre-dates the appearance of these copies. There were few copies around prior to 2003 2004ish, and those there were tended to be quite recognisable, and crucially, documented.

I really hope all goes well for you Paulus. The 1763 Shilling is now becoming well

recognised but I worry about what else there is out there, because it will not

just be 1763 Shillings that are faked.There must be other fakes doing the rounds

that have not yet been recogised. One concern is the large number of Gothic Crowns

for sale on Ebay. I've never seen so many, and a lot seem to have a strange polished

appearance but I cannot see anything that stands out as being entirely wrong as yet !

There was one last week on offer from a Chinese seller.....

Or a verifiable provenance which pre-dates the appearance of these copies. There were few copies around prior to 2003 2004ish, and those there were tended to be quite recognisable, and crucially, documented.

You see, provenance CAN actually add a decent premium to a coin! ;-)

coming from the mouth.

At least now you have peace of mind, see how this forum works. And now you have the stisfaction of going back to the seller AND auction house and kicking some arse.....Good result for you and those who actually spotted it. Well done the forum.

If in doubt, it always pays to ask questions first rather than lose later....Well done people.

coming from the mouth.

At least now you have peace of mind, see how this forum works. And now you have the stisfaction of going back to the seller AND auction house and kicking some arse.....Good result for you and those who actually spotted it. Well done the forum.

If in doubt, it always pays to ask questions first rather than lose later....Well done people.

Absolutely, not quite a result yet though and it has gone strangely quiet! I was going to wait until refunded before announcing it ...

Seems more fakes has started to surface:

And a 3rd one - cancelled for some reason: 3

Seems more fakes has started to surface:

And a 3rd one - cancelled for some reason: 3

Boy, that david4027 (No.2) sounds hacked off, wonder how much he was stung for ... at least they are all listed as forgeries/fakes/replicas

Guest goryboy

Mine wasn't listed as a fake, forgery or "replica," mine was billed as authentic and cost me $70. Just arrived today, and it's got those same scratches flowing from the mouth that others have mentioned above, as well as being simply too lightweight, too light-colored, and just too perfect-looking to be an authentic 1763 shilling. I'm Royally Stewed over this, hate to get stung on ebay, and am considering flying to Croatia (where the lying, chiseling, con-artist who sold it lives) and bombing him. Wot say ye?

:angry:

1763 NorthShill__F2.jpg

1763 NorthShill__F3.jpg

1763 NorthShill__R8.jpg

8 minutes ago, Guest goryboy said:

Mine wasn't listed as a fake, forgery or "replica," mine was billed as authentic and cost me $70. Just arrived today, and it's got those same scratches flowing from the mouth that others have mentioned above, as well as being simply too lightweight, too light-colored, and just too perfect-looking to be an authentic 1763 shilling. I'm Royally Stewed over this, hate to get stung on ebay, and am considering flying to Croatia (where the lying, chiseling, con-artist who sold it lives) and bombing him. Wot say ye?

:angry:

Yep, go for it! Although if eBay and paid by Paypal, you may well get refunded if you report it

Low feedback eBayers, which I'm sure he will be, normally have their funds held by PayPal until you leave good feedback or a prescribed number have days have past! So, just open a claim against him through eBay, that should see your money back and you a little bit wiser!

Plus at $70 you should have smelled a rat straightaway.

Broken tops in GEORGIVS as usual, but surely the price should have worried you, yet you still bidded obviously knowing there were fakes of these, so assuming you bidded to win a bargain, sorry, but it's just sheer stupidity on your part. I wouldn't touch any of these and especially so from ebay

• Like 1