British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Oli

Guess what I got today!

My glorious Mum today set aside a coin she got in her change. I got home from school and she said she had something for me and she opened her purse and pulled out the 2004 Entente Cordiale £5 piece! I was gobsmacked as I have never ever seen a £5 in my change, let alone in circulation. I'd grade it as uncirculated with only a few bagmarks and inconsequential dints. I'm extremely happy as I think that it's one of the nicest "normal" (ie not Britannia) issues that the Mint has struck for quite a while.

Edit: Before anyone asks, I have realised that there isn't a question mark in the title :rolleyes:

Edited by Emperor Oli

Wow, now that is the first case of a £5 in circulation that I have seen. Someone must have wanted to spend it! Well done Oli, that it definately a 'keeps'! :D

Oli, it's great that your mum is looking out for your collection. Is she very much involved in it? Is that something you can cultivate with her? Has she looked with you at Chris' site?

Wow, that is also the first case i have heard of someone finding a £5 coin in their change. I remember one of my friends showing me a £5 coin that he had once, and he said he was gonna spend it, dont know if he ever did...

Not at all! She asked me how much it might be worth and I said around a fiver and poked around in Spinks to show her some more. Then I told her that there would be a proof variety, piedfort silver, gold etc bywhich time she had switched off!

wow :o , strange...from what shop may i ask?

The good ol' Post Office

Oli, if you want to pique your mum's interest, you might think about staying out of the books and show her the coins. "Isn't this a cool coin?" kind of thing, not long, just a bit, but on a regular basis, two or three times a week. It took my mom over 40 years to catch the bug, and that's because my dad just didn't do enough to share his coins with her. Once I got ahold of his coins and went through them with her, she was hooked. I'm not saying that your mom will get hooked like that, but if her interest is whetted a little, would that be a bad thing?

Good idea! I only showed her the book to show her other recent £5 coins. She likes some of the older stuff I've got, pre-George III - quite an expensive taste!

Oli, what in particular did your mum like? What would be of the same period etc that you don't have? :rolleyes:B)

I've got a lovely George II sixpence that she liked the look of - can't blame her!

What is it about mothers and sixpences? Mine has a thing for them too.

Is it the early milled look she likes? I wouldn't be surprised, I have a real yen for those too. :D If so, then you have a large field to interest her in. What about you and your mother having a collection together? My mom and I have a collection like that. It lives with her (about 1000 miles away) but it's "ours." She is particularly fond of the Anne sixpence and the Geo II she has.

sixpences will always get yer...

Good idea! I only showed her the book to show her other recent £5 coins. She likes some of the older stuff I've got, pre-George III - quite an expensive taste!

Expensive taste oh can i vouch for that! :D

What is it about mothers and sixpences? Mine has a thing for them too.

Is it the early milled look she likes? I wouldn't be surprised, I have a real yen for those too. :D If so, then you have a large field to interest her in. What about you and your mother having a collection together? My mom and I have a collection like that. It lives with her (about 1000 miles away) but it's "ours." She is particularly fond of the Anne sixpence and the Geo II she has.

I love the Early Milled look it caught my attention pretty early on right when i started out... it was a Charles II sixpence of all things that did it. (I promised myself 14 years ago that one day i would get one, and now i have 5 of them!)

There's nothing as nice as a William & Mary in top grade, mind you they look nice in lower grades too. I like George I stuff in lower grades.

George II (Young Head) and Charles II though have to be the nicest.

You remind me that I gave my mother a WmIII 1696y sixpence lately too.... I was especially happy to find the York for her as one of her many-times-great grandfathers was Archbishop of York during Elizabeth I (Edwin Sandys). Then she asked me why Mary wasn't on the coin, and after some discussion I told her I'd keep my eyes open for a Wm&M. But the lack of good offerings here as well as the expense! (has anybody said these cost a lot?) have keep that hole open.

You remind me that I gave my mother a WmIII 1696y sixpence lately too.... I was especially happy to find the York for her as one of her many-times-great grandfathers was Archbishop of York during Elizabeth I (Edwin Sandys). Then she asked me why Mary wasn't on the coin, and after some discussion I told her I'd keep my eyes open for a Wm&M. But the lack of good offerings here as well as the expense! (has anybody said these cost a lot?) have keep that hole open.

Ah Mr Sandys i've come across his name before... i wonder if he was the one that replace Heath as Archbishop of York?

Yes William and Mary ones aren't cheap and they'll put a hole in your money boat, but it's James II that will sink your ship.

Yes, I've looked at the JasII a bit.... I had a JasII 2/6 in my hands for a while but gave it back because the toning was too bright and it was a bit pitted.... but I haven't seen a 6d from him at all.

Yes, I've looked at the JasII a bit.... I had a JasII 2/6 in my hands for a while but gave it back because the toning was too bright and it was a bit pitted.... but I haven't seen a 6d from him at all.

I've got news for you... J2 halfcrowns are common... for every sixpence you see you see about 50 halfcrowns.

If you think J2 sixpences are scarce, then half guineas are seemingly rarer still. I've seen about 5 James II sixpences for sale over the last 2 years. I've only ever seen 1 James II half guinea for sale and i bought that.

I've got news for you... J2 halfcrowns are common... for every sixpence you see you see about 50 halfcrowns.

I'm surprised to hear that, as the prices for the 6d's are much less than the 2/6's.

I'm surprised to hear that, as the prices for the 6d's are much less than the 2/6's.

Aye but you forget supply and demand...

Halfcrowns = below average supply + High demand = high prices

Sixpences = very scarce supply + Very low demand = Lower prices than the rarity would suggest

Most people just want the one as a type example when it comes to sixpences (cos afterall where is the challenge? :D low prices, small coins...) or if they're doing the monarch collection thing they'll naturally go towards acquiring a big coin.

Plus halfcrowns are quite often collected by date.