50 Years of RotographicPredecimal.com. British Numismatic Trade Association Member - One of the most popular websites on British coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2014 Standard Guide to Grading British Coins British and Empire Campaign Medals 1793 to 1902British and Irish Campaign Medals 1902 to 2010England's Striking History Roman Base Metal Coins - A Price Guide Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide  Available for Kindle Available as .epub
The Current Rotographic printed book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals.

Photo

Anyone care to explain these?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 azda

azda

David

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Interests:Errrr Coins, Charles I and civil war period coinage (when i can afford it)
    Hopefully some decent Scottish Silver eventually as well

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

KM-MDS194

Posted Image

This isn't just a forum - Purchase British coins, collecting accessories and books on www.predecimal.com

#2 argentumandcoins

argentumandcoins

Not a God, just a man!

• 1,338 posts
  • Interests:Apart from coins; My 3 sons (youngest born new years day 2012), Newcastle United, Durham CCC, Salmon and Trout fishing, shooting, malt whisky, red wine and good cigars. NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER!!!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

A shitty modern silver fantasy "maundy set". You used to see them in droves in the salerooms but they have dried up lately.

#3 azda

azda

David

• 7,152 posts
  • Interests:Errrr Coins, Charles I and civil war period coinage (when i can afford it)
    Hopefully some decent Scottish Silver eventually as well

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

A shitty modern silver fantasy "maundy set". You used to see them in droves in the salerooms but they have dried up lately.

Thought i'd missed something lol......

#4 argentumandcoins

argentumandcoins

Not a God, just a man!

• 1,338 posts
  • Interests:Apart from coins; My 3 sons (youngest born new years day 2012), Newcastle United, Durham CCC, Salmon and Trout fishing, shooting, malt whisky, red wine and good cigars. NOT NECESSARILY IN THAT ORDER!!!

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

Thought i'd missed something lol......

Nope! They used to sell for about £25 a pop.

#5 TomGoodheart

TomGoodheart

Happy as a cat full of sixpences

• 3,128 posts
  • Interests:Decent coffee, Italian food, a glass of red wine and my family (though not necessarily in that order!) Crosswords, enjoying my garden and British weather.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

I have the shilling if anyone wants to buy it off me?

The portrait is by Raphael Maklouf who also did the obverse with the coupe portrait between 85 and 97.

I have some spare Charles I Tower shillings for sale.  Interested?  PM me!

#6 Peter

Peter

Mr R Sleeker

• 5,481 posts
  • Interests:Coins,fishing and British sports cars

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

The portrait is by Raphael Maklouf who also did the obverse with the coupe portrait between 85 and 97.

I sold the fantasy crown for peanuts(I don't even know where it came from :o )

#7 Gary D

Gary D

Forum God

• 1,543 posts
  • Interests:UK predecimal 1900-1967 Farthing to Crown

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

I have a gold set that I picked up as a curiosity. I wish I knew more about them as I've only ever seen one other set and have no idea of the gold content.

#8 TomGoodheart

TomGoodheart

• 3,128 posts
  • Interests:Decent coffee, Italian food, a glass of red wine and my family (though not necessarily in that order!) Crosswords, enjoying my garden and British weather.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

I have a gold set that I picked up as a curiosity. I wish I knew more about them as I've only ever seen one other set and have no idea of the gold content.

I think London Coins have sold a few various sets. I seem to remember the shilling is sterling, but I was collecting monarchs and it filled a gap and was fun at the time. I don't recall much paperwork with it, I just stuck it in a capsule. I'll have to see what details I can find. The portrait really isn't very good!

#9 onlyme

onlyme

Starter member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Detecting and collecting shillings new ventures.

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

I think London Coins have sold a few various sets. I seem to remember the shilling is sterling, but I was collecting monarchs and it filled a gap and was fun at the time. I don't recall much paperwork with it, I just stuck it in a capsule. I'll have to see what details I can find. The portrait really isn't very good!

As you are aware Tom I am a complete novice what would such a "shilling" go for ?

onlyme

#10 TomGoodheart

TomGoodheart

• 3,128 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

As you are aware Tom I am a complete novice what would such a "shilling" go for ?

onlyme

I think I paid about £30 for it. I was more impulsive in those days!

#11 Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins

Proprietor of Predecimal.com and Rotographic Publications

• Admin
  • 5,322 posts
  • Interests:Nummi gratia fori defensor

Well obviously British coins. Classic cars (mainly Triumph and other BL masterpieces of the 70s). Heavy old rock music from prog to metal (Pink Floyd, Sabbath, Zep, Rammstein etc etc). I still fancy Kylie Minogue.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

And did I end up buying it when you sold your milled shillings?!

I've got one of these Edward fantasy Maundy sets that I got with a large collection from Belgium recently. Didn't Coincraft have something to do with them originally?

Anyone want it? £25 seems fair. They are quite pretty for what they are.

Chris Perkins
British Numismatic Trade Association (BNTA) Member.

Predecimal.com
Coins, accessories and Information.
Rotographic.com
Numismatic publications.

CCGB20143Dmini.jpg GBCsmall3d.jpg BECM3Dmini.jpgBICM3Dmini.jpgESH3ds.jpg RBM3ds.jpg RSC3ds.jpg  kindle_48.png epub_48.png

The Current Rotographic book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

#12 TomGoodheart

TomGoodheart

• 3,128 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

I've got one of these Edward fantasy Maundy sets that I got with a large collection from Belgium recently. Didn't Coincraft have something to do with them originally?

I still have it. I, er, believe you weren't interested .. :P

#13 Gary D

Gary D

Forum God

• 1,543 posts
  • Interests:UK predecimal 1900-1967 Farthing to Crown

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

I took my gold set into coincraft when visiting the BM on the off chance they might know something about them. They didn't.

#14 VickySilver

VickySilver

Forum God

• 1,281 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

I know this is not a buy/sell thread but would like one of the crowns if somebody has one....As much as I love shillings, I have to pass; still can't get charged up about even legitimate Maundy sets.