British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
azda

Anyone care to explain these?

KM-MDS194

image05002.jpg

A shitty modern silver fantasy "maundy set". You used to see them in droves in the salerooms but they have dried up lately.

A shitty modern silver fantasy "maundy set". You used to see them in droves in the salerooms but they have dried up lately.

Thought i'd missed something lol......

Thought i'd missed something lol......

Nope! They used to sell for about £25 a pop.

I have the shilling if anyone wants to buy it off me?

The portrait is by Raphael Maklouf who also did the obverse with the coupe portrait between 85 and 97.

The portrait is by Raphael Maklouf who also did the obverse with the coupe portrait between 85 and 97.

I sold the fantasy crown for peanuts(I don't even know where it came from :o )

I have a gold set that I picked up as a curiosity. I wish I knew more about them as I've only ever seen one other set and have no idea of the gold content.

I have a gold set that I picked up as a curiosity. I wish I knew more about them as I've only ever seen one other set and have no idea of the gold content.

I think London Coins have sold a few various sets. I seem to remember the shilling is sterling, but I was collecting monarchs and it filled a gap and was fun at the time. I don't recall much paperwork with it, I just stuck it in a capsule. I'll have to see what details I can find. The portrait really isn't very good!

I think London Coins have sold a few various sets. I seem to remember the shilling is sterling, but I was collecting monarchs and it filled a gap and was fun at the time. I don't recall much paperwork with it, I just stuck it in a capsule. I'll have to see what details I can find. The portrait really isn't very good!

As you are aware Tom I am a complete novice what would such a "shilling" go for ?

onlyme

As you are aware Tom I am a complete novice what would such a "shilling" go for ?

onlyme

I think I paid about £30 for it. I was more impulsive in those days!

And did I end up buying it when you sold your milled shillings?!

I've got one of these Edward fantasy Maundy sets that I got with a large collection from Belgium recently. Didn't Coincraft have something to do with them originally?

Anyone want it? £25 seems fair. They are quite pretty for what they are.

I've got one of these Edward fantasy Maundy sets that I got with a large collection from Belgium recently. Didn't Coincraft have something to do with them originally?

I still have it. I, er, believe you weren't interested .. :P

I took my gold set into coincraft when visiting the BM on the off chance they might know something about them. They didn't.

I know this is not a buy/sell thread but would like one of the crowns if somebody has one....As much as I love shillings, I have to pass; still can't get charged up about even legitimate Maundy sets.