British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

onlyme

poor picture of farthing trying to dispose of

Hi folks,

THought I would post this as it is not my line of interest, I have no idea of value etc. only been collecting a few weeks.

Any and all comments welcome apart that is about the poor photography. I have just noted the file allowance and my pic is

well above so I have used a library pic mean time.

post-7362-061475500 1335525273_thumb.jpg

Hi folks,

THought I would post this as it is not my line of interest, I have no idea of value etc. only been collecting a few weeks.

Any and all comments welcome apart that is about the poor photography. I have just noted the file allowance and my pic is

You'll do well on eBay ;-)

If your coin's as good as the one you've posted, I'll buy it! I rather suspect it isn't!

Good luck with the collecting, you'll never come to the end of it!

Hi folks,

You can either uses something like MS Paint to crop and reduce an image to size or use a hosting site like Flikr or Photobucket and when your image is uploaded there, you just pop a link to it in your post as you did with the library pic.

Hi folks,

You can either uses something like MS Paint to crop and reduce an image to size or use a hosting site like Flikr or Photobucket and when your image is uploaded there, you just pop a link to it in your post as you did with the library pic.

The free membership option of PhotoBucket that I use also imposes file size restrictions but that is a somewhat more useful < 1MB.

Hi folks,

The free membership option of PhotoBucket that I use also imposes file size restrictions but that is a somewhat more useful < 1MB.

I've just joined :)

Hi folks,

If your coin's as good as the one you've posted, I'll buy it! I rather suspect it isn't!

Hi well here is my attempt at posting a pic of my own coin, I think it as good as the other mine has net been cleaned I fear the other has, I may very well be wrong no experience never mind expert. Glad of any comments.

Hi folks,

Here is an effort, hope it works, I think it is good and this has not been cleaned, any comment appreciated.

post-7362-035730300 1335541539_thumb.jpg

Hi folks,

Here is an effort, hope it works, I think it is good and this has not been cleaned, any comment appreciated.

Very nice, have you got a photo of the other side, and how much are you looking for?

Hi folks,

Very nice, have you got a photo of the other side, and how much are you looking for?

Not sure about this side, I forgot what size I made the last one here goes anyway. I dont know what I want I am open to offers, I only started a couple of weeks ago and I collect shillings this was in a pail of coins I got for the shillgs contained in it. I would not be offended at any offer. Dont think this is a good pic.

post-7362-066975000 1335545022_thumb.jpg

What you have is a Charles I (Everson Type 2) Maltravers farthing (Everson ref 132a). Privy mark - large lis both sides - 1634-1636.

Cleaning is not such an issue with these anyway unlike many other coins, because a majority of them find there way from the Thames, and can even often be Thames washed. Obviously don't go scrubbing it :P and a natural patina is still preferred, but it is not as big an issue with Charles I and James I tokens.

Thanks Colin G. I had seen a comment re cleaning/polishing and thouht it best not to do so. I think on here I was seeing folks looking for certain year pennies some of which I have but they are dirty but I still would not touch them. i appreciate the information, it all adds to the knowlwedge base.

Hi folks,

I've just joined :)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Hi folks,

Not sure about this side, I forgot what size I made the last one here goes anyway. I dont know what I want I am open to offers, I only started a couple of weeks ago and I collect shillings this was in a pail of coins I got for the shillgs contained in it. I would not be offended at any offer. Dont think this is a good pic.

What about a good old-fashioned swap...online, for fun? If you're new to it all, we could have a forum-guided look at a couple of my old shillings, what do you reckon?

If you can wait until Sunday evening, I'll post up a couple of options for you to ponder on, maybe the forum chaps and lady could throw in there twelve- penneth worth and help you out?

Fancy it?

have a play with cropping, onlyMe. You'll be glad you did.

Hi folks,

What about a good old-fashioned swap...online, for fun? If you're new to it all, we could have a forum-guided look at a couple of my old shillings, what do you reckon?

If you can wait until Sunday evening, I'll post up a couple of options for you to ponder on, maybe the forum chaps and lady could throw in there twelve- penneth worth and help you out?

Fancy it?

Suits me Coinery not a problem. Thanks for the offer.

Hi folks,

If you only started a couple of weeks ago I'd be tempted to hang on to it. It's actually quite a nice example and suggest you will find worse before you find better. The reverse looks a bit weak but that may be due to the picture quality, the obverse however looks good - well struck and centred with no weak bits, bends, chips, digs or scrapes. Not bad for Carolean copper which can appear in fairly dire condition if dug.

Hi folks,

Fancy it?

OK, great stuff, I'll start a new thread on Sunday evening and post up pictures of a few shillings, and see what you think.

The last thing I ever swapped was a pannini football card around 1978 or 79 :-)

Hi folks,

Fancy it?

OK, great stuff, I'll start a new thread on Sunday evening and post up pictures of a few shillings, and see what you think.

Sorry coinery, old age does not visit alone, out of interest what kind of date/s were you thinking, just to save you going to the bother if I have them. Cheers.

Hi folks,

Fancy it?

Sorry coinery, old age does not visit alone, out of interest what kind of date/s were you thinking, just to save you going to the bother if I have them. Cheers.

I'll have a sift through and let you know what I've got tomorrow, if that's OK?

What you have is a Charles I (Everson Type 2) Maltravers farthing (Everson ref 132a). Privy mark - large lis both sides - 1634-1636.

Cleaning is not such an issue with these anyway unlike many other coins, because a majority of them find there way from the Thames, and can even often be Thames washed. Obviously don't go scrubbing it :P and a natural patina is still preferred, but it is not as big an issue with Charles I and James I tokens.

did something new happen to coin making in the 1600's?

my 1674 Farthing looks quite more ununique

Farthings from 1672 were milled copper.(some Cornish tin for a few dates after 1675 to 1693)

The one being dicussed here is an earlier hammered version.

Have a look here and start learning. :)

http://www.colincooke.com/coinpages/ccc_frontpage.html

Edited by Peter