British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
jorge585

chinese counterfeits

Hi

I'm a newcomer to this forum, being a portuguese coin collector of portuguese coins only, until...I've recently crossed with a Godless florin that someone posted in a portuguese (whatelse?)forum and got smashed by the beauty of this coin.

So I took a look at Ebay and spoted some very nice coins with (too much) nice prices...in China.

Does anybody here is aware of "super-fakes" of chinese origin concerning the Godless florin?

I apologize if this is not allowed in this forum, but I'll leave the link for clarity sake: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251044897530?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648#ht_500wt_1361

Thank you very much,

Jorge

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't touch anything from China.

A Godless florin is not expensive so if you want one buy from a regular dealer/UK Ebayer.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't touch anything from China.

A Godless florin is not expensive so if you want one buy from a regular dealer/UK Ebayer.

Hi

Thank you for your reply.

I'll probably follow your advise, however:

- I have bought some excelent coins from a couple of chinese traders, so I wouldn't just ignore everything that comes from China

- Not buying from China doesn't prevent you or me or anybody else in Europe to stumble into a so called "superfake".

Did you take a look at the coin I'm writing about?

As Peter said, the only thing i'd buy from the Chinese comes with egg fried rice ;)

As Peter said, the only thing i'd buy from the Chinese comes with egg fried rice ;)

You've not bought anything electrical, or toys, or clothing, or optical, or office supplies, or furniture then? B)

Nope

I needed some new DM boots (reliving my youth but ideal for cross country dog walking)I was aghast that they are now manufactured in the far East.However,thanks to the joy of the net I found a British made brand "Solovair" they used to just manufacture the soles for DM's.

Brilliant product and worth a plug. :)

I needed some new DM boots (reliving my youth but ideal for cross country dog walking)I was aghast that they are now manufactured in the far East.However,thanks to the joy of the net I found a British made brand "Solovair" they used to just manufacture the soles for DM's.

Absolutely agree on Solovair - fantastic boots from Northampton.

Absolutely agree on Solovair - fantastic boots from Northampton.

Top on

My girls were after coloured DM's...I refused.Solovairs marketing are either useless or unambitious.The European/North American market is/are crying out for these.

Top tip, never buy anything from China.

Another top tip , never sell anything to China.

It's just bad news all round.

the only coin i would buy from china would have to have a letter of authenticity signed by chairman mao himself...................

the only coin i would buy from china would have to have a letter of authenticity signed by chairman mao himself...................

but the letter would be faked too.

Looking at the godless florin there's also a half florin. Now when I went to school the text books they were throwing out all said a half florin was... a shilling.

Looking at the godless florin there's also a half florin. Now when I went to school the text books they were throwing out all said a half florin was... a shilling.

It appears to be a double florin. So there are people out there who don't know the difference between "half" and "double". I will definitely go to THEIR pub. :lol: