British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

My most recent acquisition... what do you think? VF?

17972penceb.jpg17972pence.jpg

Yes, and from buckscoins lol........

Yeap. but it lives in Portugal :)

I would give that GVF+ money as it is fairly ding free.Very nice :)

I would give that GVF value.Very nice with minimal edge knocks :)

Just a pity you didn't look around, i have this one in auction on ebay

P4160376.jpg

[P4160377.jpg

Edited by azda

I'm no expert on these SOHO coins but something surprises me about this one. Although the wear is fairly minimal in some areas (the berries and eyes on the obverse, for instance) there is a very marked lack of detail in others (the hair, the leaves, the background in the shield, the SOHO lettering). I presume this must just be due to a very worn die? It certainly doesn't appear to be due to circulation wear.

Edited by Accumulator

P4160376.jpg

[P4160377.jpg

Hi. Didn't get to see any pics of your coins for sale. Any links etc or e-bay name. Cheers

17972penceb.jpg17972pence.jpg

I would give that GVF+ money as it is fairly ding free.Very nice :)

Yes, I would agree. Much superior to VF and consequently in the stratospherically rising value spectrum. (VFs are quite common, anything markedly better is rarer and goes up in value faster)

I don't like that obverse so much Dave, though it's a very nice reverse.

I'm no expert on these SOHO coins but something surprises me about this one. Although the wear is fairly minimal in some areas (the berries and eyes on the obverse, for instance) there is a very marked lack of detail in others (the hair, the leaves, the background in the shield, the SOHO lettering). I presume this must just be due to a very worn die? It certainly doesn't appear to be due to circulation wear.

It looks to me like it's been coated at some time in the past. It has an uncharacteristic yellowish hue, as if it's been artificially gilded. If so, and there's a layer of something coating it, that would cause a general 'softening' of detail. You're right about the wear - it's minimal, and the rim quality bears that out.

could be a result of the old habit of varnishing coins in the hope that the varnish would preserve them.

It has a strange colour, could it be a poor photo ?

Does it look more like this in the hand ?

Whatever its far better than VF

post-6970-008202400 1335268950_thumb.jpg

I find many of Bucks Coins' photos seem to have a milky white softness about them ...

I find many of Bucks Coins' photos seem to have a milky white softness about them ...

Also, his background is PINK! So unless he's a particular fan of that colour, I'd say, from what little knowledge I have on the medium, that his white balance is all to cock anyway, meaning the coin could be toffee, dark chocolate, or After Eight's, for all we know :-)

New pictures. I am not a very good photographer...

17972pencei.jpg

Thats more like it !. I think its a nice looking coin and the sellers

photo did nothing to help his price , so I think you have come out winning.

A very pleasant coin and seems very good value .

New pictures. I am not a very good photographer...

17972pencei.jpg

Better, better. That's a nice coin, and I'd say between VF and EF. Double the VF value (or halve the EF value), and you should be around the right ballpark.

Not to bring up a dead thread but I have one of these coins in about the same condition but with a feature I'm not familiar with. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the cause is of an elongated 's' shape along one of the edges. The coin itself is beautifully patinated copper but this s-shaped mark is silver.

Any thoughts?

Not to bring up a dead thread but I have one of these coins in about the same condition but with a feature I'm not familiar with. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the cause is of an elongated 's' shape along one of the edges. The coin itself is beautifully patinated copper but this s-shaped mark is silver.

Any thoughts?

Picture?

Any thoughts?

Would you post pictures please? (150k per post, so you may need to use two posts, one for the obverse, one for the reverse; alternatively you can use a photo hosting site and link directly to your pictures of the coin).

It's not really possible to comment without seeing what you describe.

I've seen a couple of these that have been 'decorated' recently! Of note was 3 stars in the fields and set in the base of a bowl!