50 Years of RotographicPredecimal.com. British Numismatic Trade Association Member - One of the most popular websites on British coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2014 Standard Guide to Grading British Coins British and Empire Campaign Medals 1793 to 1902British and Irish Campaign Medals 1902 to 2010England's Striking History Roman Base Metal Coins - A Price Guide Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide  Available for Kindle Available as .epub
The Current Rotographic printed book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals.

Photo

Any ideas on this please?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Debbie

Debbie

Important part of the furniture

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hi guys.
I recently bought this unusual penny. Its encased in a silver and glass casing and has been engraved with what might be some foreign script ( identical on both sides). I don’t think that the coin itself is particularly remarkable (?) It has some lustre but I wouldn’t say it was more than VF and I have checked that the “I” doesn’t point to a bead! But it must have meant something important to someone; the glass casing is high quality with bevelled edging and what appears to be real silver. Any ideas?! :blink:

Attached Files

This isn't just a forum - Purchase British coins, collecting accessories and books on www.predecimal.com

#2 Debbie

Debbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

And the reverse

Attached Files

#3 TomGoodheart

TomGoodheart

Happy as a cat full of sixpences

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts
  • Interests:Decent coffee, Italian food, a glass of red wine and my family (though not necessarily in that order!) Crosswords, enjoying my garden and British weather.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

I presume you've spun it Debbie? I wondered if when put on a table and spun, the two designs would match up to make something more recognisable, but I can't see what!

I'll ask around ..

I have some spare Charles I Tower shillings for sale.  Interested?  PM me!

#4 davidrj

davidrj

Coiny

• 1,321 posts
  • Interests:Coins - Pennies (GB & commonwealth); other 30mm-ish bronze and copper world coins. French copper.

Books - mainly coins, history, botany/gardening, natural history, etc

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

And the reverse

Interesting, the large character looks similar to script on some Ethiopian coins, I've no idea what it is though

There's an overstruck "penny" here that most folk would chuck into their junk tin. But it's rare, only the second one I've seen for sale

Spanish 10 centimos overstruck for use in Puerto Rico (though seller does not seem to know this)

A gap in my collection that's likely to be permanent, certainly at that asking price!

Posted Image

David

Edited by davidrj, 21 April 2012 - 11:29 AM.

#5 TomGoodheart

TomGoodheart

Happy as a cat full of sixpences

• 3,040 posts
  • Interests:Decent coffee, Italian food, a glass of red wine and my family (though not necessarily in that order!) Crosswords, enjoying my garden and British weather.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

I'm now wondering if it's Pitman shorthand.

Anyone know someone able to read it? I had a look, but the differences between the symbols (particularly those for whole words (known as grammalogues)) are too subtle to guess at unless you have some experience.

Edited by TomGoodheart, 21 April 2012 - 10:48 PM.

I have some spare Charles I Tower shillings for sale.  Interested?  PM me!

#6 Debbie

Debbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for your thoughts gentlmen.Richard I tried spinning it but I dont think it was designed to meet up. I think what I might do is contact the V and A museum to see if they can identify it, but meanwhile if anyone does recognise it do let me know. Cheers D. :)

#7 Debbie

Debbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

I've just googled pitman shorthand Richard and yes it does look very similar! ( how anyone could've invented that -the mind boggles!)

#8 Debbie

Debbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Leading on from this coin and as an interesting aside I posted a picture of it on a language forum in the hope that someone would recognise and translate the engraving I got a fair bit of feedback – not exactly what I had hoped for though! :huh:
At least I have provided them all with some interesting discussion! :)
My link

#9 Colin G.

Colin G.

Just a man god!!!

• 1,642 posts
  • Interests:Farthings, farthings and more farthings!!! Oh and British Colonial coins

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

Leading on from this coin and as an interesting aside I posted a picture of it on a language forum in the hope that someone would recognise and translate the engraving I got a fair bit of feedback – not exactly what I had hoped for though! :huh:
My link

Kind of wandered off topic hasn't it :lol:

Thanks
Colin G.

For information about farthing varieties visit - http://www.aboutfarthings.co.uk

Farthings and coins for sale at - http://aboutfarthing.../cart/index.php

#10 Gary D

Gary D

Forum God

• 1,542 posts
  • Interests:UK predecimal 1900-1967 Farthing to Crown

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

My link

I didn't realize it was possible to get your own head so far up your own arse.

#11 Coinery

Coinery

Forum God

• 4,149 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

My link

Great stuff! Now where have I seen that happen before? :-)