British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Debbie

Any ideas on this please?

Hi guys.

I recently bought this unusual penny. Its encased in a silver and glass casing and has been engraved with what might be some foreign script ( identical on both sides). I don’t think that the coin itself is particularly remarkable (?) It has some lustre but I wouldn’t say it was more than VF and I have checked that the “I†doesn’t point to a bead! But it must have meant something important to someone; the glass casing is high quality with bevelled edging and what appears to be real silver. Any ideas?! :blink:

post-7102-032045200 1335004384_thumb.jpg

And the reverse

post-7102-083640400 1335004433_thumb.jpg

I presume you've spun it Debbie? I wondered if when put on a table and spun, the two designs would match up to make something more recognisable, but I can't see what!

I'll ask around ..

And the reverse

Interesting, the large character looks similar to script on some Ethiopian coins, I've no idea what it is though

There's an overstruck "penny" here that most folk would chuck into their junk tin. But it's rare, only the second one I've seen for sale

Spanish 10 centimos overstruck for use in Puerto Rico (though seller does not seem to know this)

A gap in my collection that's likely to be permanent, certainly at that asking price!

smile.gif

David

Edited by davidrj

I'm now wondering if it's Pitman shorthand.

Anyone know someone able to read it? I had a look, but the differences between the symbols (particularly those for whole words (known as grammalogues)) are too subtle to guess at unless you have some experience.

Edited by TomGoodheart

Thanks for your thoughts gentlmen.Richard I tried spinning it but I dont think it was designed to meet up. I think what I might do is contact the V and A museum to see if they can identify it, but meanwhile if anyone does recognise it do let me know. Cheers D. :)

I've just googled pitman shorthand Richard and yes it does look very similar! ( how anyone could've invented that -the mind boggles!)

Leading on from this coin and as an interesting aside I posted a picture of it on a language forum in the hope that someone would recognise and translate the engraving I got a fair bit of feedback – not exactly what I had hoped for though! :huh:

At least I have provided them all with some interesting discussion! :)

My link

Leading on from this coin and as an interesting aside I posted a picture of it on a language forum in the hope that someone would recognise and translate the engraving I got a fair bit of feedback – not exactly what I had hoped for though! :huh:

My link

Kind of wandered off topic hasn't it :lol:

My link

I didn't realize it was possible to get your own head so far up your own arse.

My link

Great stuff! Now where have I seen that happen before? :-)