British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
palves

How rare? 1/2 Sovereign 1862

Very!!!

I saw this coin in a Portuguese forum http://www.forum-numismatica.com/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=61&t=75253

How rare is it. I have to say that it is the first for me.

PA

I'm viewing on an iPhone, so not the best view, but that surely isn't normal circulation wear is it? Also, isn't that a few casting bubbles about on the obverse? Maybe mould on its back? Bubbles to top, not all of mould filled???? Apologies if this is just the 2"x2" image I'm seeing that lets this coin down.

Edited by Coinery

I'm viewing on an iPhone, so not the best view, but that surely isn't normal circulation wear is it? Also, isn't that a few casting bubbles about on the obverse? Maybe mould on its back? Bubbles to top, not all of mould filled???? Apologies if this is just the 2"x2" image I'm seeing that lets this coin down.

I have no experience on this coins. I love victorian coins and collect them by value/head. I only have a gold one and it is a common one, but I have a fair share of them. this is the first 1/2 1862 I have seen.

For those who struggle to understand Portuguese, the guy came to the forum asking help to identify the coin. We have identified it as a Half Sovereign and we alert him to the fact that it might be a rare coin. Almost immediately the guy put the coin for sale in another topic. I do not know him and I have never seen the coin in hand.

I will ask him for better pics.

Edited by palves

Coin looks OK, a bit worn and perhaps cleaned. To my view those are not bubbles but gouges/circ. issues.

You should maybe ask him how he came by the coin. To be honest it looks more like a gallery picture other than something he's taken himself and could possibly have found the picture on the internet

Coin looks OK, a bit worn and perhaps cleaned. To my view those are not bubbles but gouges/circ. issues.

The second set of photos (on blue background), that have since been added to the forum link, are a bit of an improvement...the mark below the eye doesn't seem half the nasty issue it did on the first photos (white background)! I still struggle to see how the 'wear' is right, I've never seen anything quite like it before. However, I'm certain you have seen considerably more Vic coins than I, I'd be too scared myself, I have to say!

You should maybe ask him how he came by the coin. To be honest it looks more like a gallery picture other than something he's taken himself and could possibly have found the picture on the internet

Is that you and the missus doing a spot of painting on your new website? I'm amazed that web address wasn't snapped up a long time ago!

I have'nt looked at the website in 2 months lol

I saw this coin in a Portuguese forum http://www.forum-numismatica.com/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=61&t=75253

How rare is it. I have to say that it is the first for me.

PA

The wear just doesn't look right. It's hard to say if this is a dodgy coin however - some wreath crowns that have been over-zealously polished in their lifetime can also have suspect wear patterns.

Perhaps you are referring to the area toward the rim at obv. 10:00 or so and rev. around 4:00 where there looks like a bit of pinching wear at the rim (eccentric). Well, that is what I see anyway, but still don't have a problem with it as these half sovs are many times struck a bit strangely and suffer from the "uglies" with wear. Unfortunately wear is used to disguise nefarious bits also.

BTW, I actually have an 1862 in very near to EF, but unbelievably with a repaired hole as though it was prepped for necklace or some such suspension. Yikes! I keep wondering if a bit of doctoring might improve the defect although it is not that obvious to the naked eye.

The owner posted new pictures, but everyone is struggling to access the coin. Any inputs?

cheers.

PA