British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Now what do you think of this idea?

I was thinking about changing the look and name of this whole forum to be the 'Rotographic Forum' and linking to it from www.rotographic.co.uk and from predecimal.com as it is now.

I thought that perhaps a discussion forum would benefit the people that are looking for books on the subject, and I could eventually re shuffle things and perhaps provide forums for each book title, in order to get input and just for people to discuss that subject.

Essentially it would be the same place on the same URL, but it would be the 'Rotographic forum, hosted by Predecimal'. I think it can only compliment the Rotographic website, and help promote the books to people that would perhaps prefer to have a little chat with one of us friendly lot.

What do you think?

No. If you want to make a Rotographic forum, make it a sub-forum on here (eg. Nothing to do with coins area). By making it the Rotographic forum, it gives the idea that one could only talk about the books in it. The forum seems to be functioning as it is and if any Rotographic readers want to ask some questions, they could do if you created a sub-forum as I suggested earlier. Alternatively, you could call it the Predecimal and Rotographic forum although that's a bit of a mouthful.

I would make sure that not only the books were talked about, the fact that this forum as it is contains very little talk about books would back that up. I'd re shuffle it well so that it basically included the exact same sections as it does now, plus a book discussion area.

I thought about creating and linking to a sub forum, but then anyone registering would just be registering on the main forum like everyone else.

I could set up a completey new forum, but then it would just be boring until the volume of posts got up to a respectable level, which would take 6 mths to a year. Here, I have instant posts by the 1000.

Whatever I decide, I do think that a forum for visitors of rotographic.co.uk will be useful.

I think that it is a good way to promote your books chris, but it spoils the forum for the rest of us. We want it to stay the way it is. I do not want to be answering reference book questions all the time, maybe you should create a sub-forum as Oli previously suggested? Why change something as good as this forum? :huh:

I think that it is a good way to promote your books chris, but it spoils the forum for the rest of us. We want it to stay the way it is. I do not want to be answering reference book questions all the time, maybe you should create a sub-forum as Oli previously suggested? Why change something as good as this forum? :huh:

But you lot need to have nothing to do with the book questions, if there are any. Essentially it will be the same forum and we'll still get the same kinds of people asking the same kinds of coin questions.

At this stage I'll at least link to this forum from rotographic.co.uk, and perhaps I'll create another forum especially for the books. I suppose I ought to get the bloody things finished first!

At this stage I must admit that I'm embarrassed about the current CCGB2004. The banknotes/Irish and Roman tend to be printed to a higher quality, and I can live with those, but do you know I almost cringe everytime I send a CCGB2004 to someone, hoping it won't put them off buying my very own 2005 book!!

I almost cringe everytime I send a CCGB2004 to someone, hoping it won't put them off buying my very own 2005 book!!

I have to admit that the quality leaves something to be desired, but that problem can be easily solved! :D

I think linking to this forum from rotographic.com is a good idea, and would suggest a category for particular Rotographic matters. Cross-fertilization will help us all.

As far as the quality matter goes, what about offering a special sale to those purchasing a CCGB2004? To wit, half-price for 2004 and full-price for 2005, payable immediately, the 2005 to be sent off as soon as it comes off the press.

I agree with Edward that the inclusion of Rotographic into this forum would be a good idea. We all have the option whether or not to venture into those forum categories as we choose, the same as we do with the current forum categories. Also, as Edward said, the incorporation of Rotographic should bring more members into the fold, not only on the catalog forums, but also into the collecting forums. After all, who would be involved in coin catalog forums, other than coin collectors.

As far as the 2004 v. 2005 issues. Consider putting a "discount coupon" (say £2 off) in the '04 edition, valid only on the '05 edition. By doing this, you encourage people to update their catalog annually. For those that don't use the coupon for the '05 edition, you haven't lost anything, and you may well have earned a few marks of merit for at least offering it. I am not sure, but I imagine that a fair percentage of the people who buy the CCGB catalog do not update it every year. If you promote that you are re-vamping things, and bringing the prices up to date, that should also encourage more people to up-date.

I've no problems with it... At the end of the day Chris is the one that has to maintain and run the site, if he thinks combining the two will be more benefitial then who am i to stand in the way... i'll just adapt to the changes.

I dont like the iddea of changing this forum into a rotographic forum, cos i like it the way it is. YOuc ould create a little Rotographic board in The Nothing whatsoever to do with coins area, or you could just create a whole new forum dedicated to Rotographic. Youc ould get a free one that is just like this form invisionfree.com...

This one was also free, providing a keep the invision link at the bottom.

I'm not happy with creating a little out of the way forum in the nothing to do with coins area, because that isn't strictly true. The subject matter of most of the books is very much to do with coins.

And I don't want to set up a new one because of the time it takes to get these things established.

I'll think of a way of integrating the two sites into one forum :s. It won't suddenly go pear shaped for you lot, so son't worry. When have I ever let you down? :D

I think having the banner as Chris has it now is good. It's important for Predecimal.com that it bears the "ownership" of the Forum, as it has a primary relationship with coins, offering them and buying them, and Rotographic has a secondary relationship, i.e., offering books about coins.

In short, I agree with Kuhli! You gotta love that guy! A Rotographic category would do what needs doing. And Chris has more important things to do than fiddling too much with something that not only is not broken, but works very well.

Now Chris has two good ideas about the financial upside of the qualitative differences between CCGB2004 and 2005. Any others floating around out there?

But you have to pay for the host dont you?

I dont think youve ever let us down... :D

But you have to pay for the host dont you?

I dont think youve ever let us down... :D

The forum is hosted in my own space on my own database. I have to pay an annual fee for the hosting, and a little extra because of the extra bandwidth use, that I hadn't planned on, due to the popularity of the forum!

As someone who doesn't eat or pay rent if I don't sell coins, I know where Chris is coming from. He needs to sell coins and books if he is going to be able to continue with this coin gig!

If there is anything you can do to sell more books and more coins, do it Chris!

You might change the name of this forum and add a sub-forum for questions and comments about the books (perhaps even one for each title you carry), make sure there is plenty of cross linkage between Rotographic and Predecimal.

The popularity of the forum!!!! I didnt realise it was beacause of that!!

I'm beginning to like the idea of 'The Rotographic forum, hosted by Predecimal'. You could put on some Rotographic stuff near the top, so that everyone can see that, and then just leave all the old stuff where it was before.

I think that the predecimal forum should stay as the 'Predecimal forum', the 'Rotographic Forum' would not really sound as nice as 'Predecimal Froum' in my opinion...

Also, the banner at the top of every page is annoying...maybe it would make the forum look nicer if it was only on the home page... :)

I think that the people visiting this forum may well be interested in the Rotographic website, so the banner will stay in it's current form at the moment. I may decide to change the look of the forum and make a rotographic link in the blue bit at the top.

With a view to increasing traffic, and therefore also prospective customer exposure for both Predecimal and Rotographic, what about making the Forum one that is linked from both Predecimal and Rotographic but has an independent look? Perhaps it would be possible to link from other coin sellers as well--Chris, what do you think other sellers would say to this?

With a view to increasing traffic, and therefore also prospective customer exposure for both Predecimal and Rotographic, what about making the Forum one that is linked from both Predecimal and Rotographic but has an independent look? Perhaps it would be possible to link from other coin sellers as well--Chris, what do you think other sellers would say to this?

Well you're already well know as 'predecimal' so why not just change the name of Rotographic to predecimal as soon as the chance arises? Combine it all in one, then you really will stamp your mark on the Roto business.

Anyhow i kinda like the sound of... Roto-decimal. :D

I'd thought of that too, but Rotographic is also pretty well known (I think, although I modestly admit, probably not so much as predecimal.com among web surfing circles). So I don't want to get rid of either name. In fact I quite like the name 'Rotographic' too. I also like Rotodecimal!!

Ah, the many problems with empire building.

I like Protonumismatica....

Just remember who all have gotten you there.... B)

I'd thought of that too, but Rotographic is also pretty well known (I think, although I modestly admit, probably not so much as predecimal.com among web surfing circles). So I don't want to get rid of either name. In fact I quite like the name 'Rotographic' too. I also like Rotodecimal!!

well it sounded better than pre-graphic!