50 Years of RotographicPredecimal.com. British Numismatic Trade Association Member - One of the most popular websites on British coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2014 Standard Guide to Grading British Coins British and Empire Campaign Medals 1793 to 1902British and Irish Campaign Medals 1902 to 2010England's Striking History Roman Base Metal Coins - A Price Guide Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide  Available for Kindle Available as .epub
The Current Rotographic printed book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals.

Photo

1938 penny

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shamo

shamo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:stamps&coins. but don,t know to much about both.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

hi there, needing a bit of help again, is it a single 8 double 8 or clipped 8,am i right with one or none.
input grateful shamo

Attached Files

This isn't just a forum - Purchase British coins, collecting accessories and books on www.predecimal.com

#2 Accumulator

Accumulator

Forum God

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

hi there, needing a bit of help again, is it a single 8 double 8 or clipped 8,am i right with one or none.
input grateful shamo

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the whole of the right side of the eight appears to have sustained damage. The resulting impact has squashed and spread the metal to give the impression of something more interesting than just a whack. That's all I think it is though.

#3 Peckris

Peckris

Former God (now redundant)

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,745 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

input grateful shamo

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the whole of the right side of the eight appears to have sustained damage. The resulting impact has squashed and spread the metal to give the impression of something more interesting than just a whack. That's all I think it is though.

I agree - it looks like circulation damage.

#4 shamo

shamo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

input grateful shamo

thanks accumulator & peckris for your reply,i agree the photo is not the best,i have had a closer look mag at 200 and tryed to do abit of cleaning,not much,and to me it looks to be a double 8 with the top one being damaged.it's 1 am i'll sort the photo's and post them later.

p.s i could be eating my hat. thanks again shamo.

#5 shamo

shamo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

input grateful shamo

thanks accumulator & peckris for your reply,i agree the photo is not the best,i have had a closer look mag at 200 and tryed to do abit of cleaning,not much,and to me it looks to be a double 8 with the top one being damaged.it's 1 am i'll sort the photo's and post them later.

p.s i could be eating my hat. thanks again shamo.

good morning, or is it, i feel like c.s.i.,looking at the photo's this morning the 8 took a blow across the middle,and the first bit of metal fell off at the top of the 8, and the blow left a crack running length ways down the side of the 8,and came a way later.i'm not finished yet i still think it's a double 8, the spread of the metal is not adding up.i'm still having trouble sizing and editing photo's, i,ll try and find someone to help with this thanks.

p.s the hat could be getting bigger after this