British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
shamo

1938 penny

hi there, needing a bit of help again, is it a single 8 double 8 or clipped 8,am i right with one or none.

input grateful shamo

AveoStill0073.bmp

hi there, needing a bit of help again, is it a single 8 double 8 or clipped 8,am i right with one or none.

input grateful shamo

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the whole of the right side of the eight appears to have sustained damage. The resulting impact has squashed and spread the metal to give the impression of something more interesting than just a whack. That's all I think it is though.

input grateful shamo

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the whole of the right side of the eight appears to have sustained damage. The resulting impact has squashed and spread the metal to give the impression of something more interesting than just a whack. That's all I think it is though.

I agree - it looks like circulation damage.

input grateful shamo

thanks accumulator & peckris for your reply,i agree the photo is not the best,i have had a closer look mag at 200 and tryed to do abit of cleaning,not much,and to me it looks to be a double 8 with the top one being damaged.it's 1 am i'll sort the photo's and post them later.

p.s i could be eating my hat. thanks again shamo.

input grateful shamo

thanks accumulator & peckris for your reply,i agree the photo is not the best,i have had a closer look mag at 200 and tryed to do abit of cleaning,not much,and to me it looks to be a double 8 with the top one being damaged.it's 1 am i'll sort the photo's and post them later.

p.s i could be eating my hat. thanks again shamo.

good morning, or is it, i feel like c.s.i.,looking at the photo's this morning the 8 took a blow across the middle,and the first bit of metal fell off at the top of the 8, and the blow left a crack running length ways down the side of the 8,and came a way later.i'm not finished yet i still think it's a double 8, the spread of the metal is not adding up.i'm still having trouble sizing and editing photo's, i,ll try and find someone to help with this thanks.

p.s the hat could be getting bigger after this