British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi. I would be interested in pennies. 1914,15,16,32,34,44,45. Ef-unc/bu cond. This would finish my collection. Cheers Dan.

I do have a 1940 BU Single Extregue Line

Is it better than the one one my website Dave?

Definately

So a few are asking about my little collection. If you give me a little time, i'll need to redo all the pictures as i lost them when my USB went tits up late last year. Once i've done them i'll pop back on and you can let me know who's interested.

I'll send the pics to you all in a winrar file, so bear in mind it will be a large file, as i don't do small pix :rolleyes:

So a few are asking about my little collection. If you give me a little time, i'll need to redo all the pictures as i lost them when my USB went tits up late last year. Once i've done them i'll pop back on and you can let me know who's interested.

I'll send the pics to you all in a winrar file, so bear in mind it will be a large file, as i don't do small pix :rolleyes:

As I don't use Windows you can do a nice little zip file of little jpegs for me :)

Ok, managed to take quite a few pix, not everything but its so time consuming. I've zipped the files with winrar and its 69.3 meg :unsure: If anyone wants me to try and attempt to send them then drop me a PM with your email addys.

what do you want for the kn penny?

Some nice coins there! I don't remember seeing the 60/- but I've just been admiring it. If ever I get into Scottish ...

what do you want for the kn penny?

As much as i can get :rolleyes:

Some nice coins there! I don't remember seeing the 60/- but I've just been admiring it. If ever I get into Scottish ...

Where are you seeing that Richard, I can only see pennies!

Where are you seeing that Richard, I can only see pennies!

Those are in my FORUM COINS folder, though most have gone now.

Hi. I would be interested in pennies. 1914,15,16,32,34,44,45. Ef-unc/bu cond. This would finish my collection. Cheers Dan.

I do have a 1940 BU Single Extregue Line

Is it better than the one one my website Dave?

Sorry..............Not losing interest, i'm looking to buy a house in Turkey........Not with the coins i have obviously, but in the future, i'll always have an interest in coins without doubt, but my son needs more of my time than my coins do unfortunately...

So far, i'm still buying to sell and just got and 1824 Laurelet head Sov in EF........Plus my Pennies....Alot of which have come from people on here.....

Dave, I'm interested in any pennies which would add to my collection. I know you have a few good examples... Hi I just know I am going to mess up with this post. I collect shillings very new to it. The reason I joined the forum.I saw your post re pennies I have 5 x 1944 all are part of a pail of coins I bought for the shillings, they are dirty but I would venture they are E F or very very near that. I would not try to clean as I have no idea what I am doing. Just thought I would post after seeing your interest.

I'm only interested in 20th century pennies, any rarities there?

Sorry..............Not losing interest, i'm looking to buy a house in Turkey........Not with the coins i have obviously, but in the future, i'll always have an interest in coins without doubt, but my son needs more of my time than my coins do unfortunately...

So far, i'm still buying to sell and just got and 1824 Laurelet head Sov in EF........Plus my Pennies....Alot of which have come from people on here.....

Dave, I'm interested in any pennies which would add to my collection. I know you have a few good examples... Hi I just know I am going to mess up with this post. I collect shillings very new to it. The reason I joined the forum.I saw your post re pennies I have 5 x 1944 all are part of a pail of coins I bought for the shillings, they are dirty but I would venture they are E F or very very near that. I would not try to clean as I have no idea what I am doing. Just thought I would post after seeing your interest.

I'm only interested in 20th century pennies, any rarities there?

Welcome to the forum.

Which dates/varieties and in what kind of condition are you looking for?

Hi tom,

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated unfortunately I have not started at the Charles Ist. stage I have started at the poorer end of shillings, i.e. the most modern and intend working back as funds permit. I have recently sold off some duplicate tools etc. all proceeds will go to the shilling fund. It is I have to say quite addictive. Sorry to dissapoint regarding copper but I found a farthing among some coins I got it is my only Charles Ist. It is about 1625 I believe and in striking condition, I also found a Victora 1887 penny, although very dark in colour they are beautiful coins.

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated unfortunately I have not started at the Charles Ist. stage I have started at the poorer end of shillings, i.e. the most modern and intend working back as funds permit. I have recently sold off some duplicate tools etc. all proceeds will go to the shilling fund. It is I have to say quite addictive. Sorry to dissapoint regarding copper but I found a farthing among some coins I got it is my only Charles Ist. It is about 1625 I believe and in striking condition, I also found a Victora 1887 penny, although very dark in colour they are beautiful coins.

Without wishing to proscribe how we should all collect, if you intend collecting back in time then doing so from the beginning alongside modern coins is not such a bad idea. It is easy to say I'll get the modern ones and finish them off before going backwards, but even in this area there are relatively expensive pieces to acquire. Go back a couple hundred years and identically graded pieces sell for an order or orders of magnitude more. We all suffer funding constraints, so if you are in for the long haul buy yourself a mixture of cheaper and more expensive pieces. If you get all the cheap things immediately (and there are a lot of them) you are likely to find that you have already spent a considerable sum making the acquisition of the next group a daunting task when you discover it will cost multiples of the first stage. Unless you intend restricting yourself to a finite and relatively narrow band, this problem will raise it's head earlier than you think. Very few people are fortunate or affluent enough in that order to even get close to completing an all encompassing denomination collection, short run oddballs such as quarter farthings excepted.

It is also worth noting that older coins in the higher grades will always be desired by colectors, they are only likely to become rarer as time goes on and will hold and increase in value and can make a very good investment.

In my experience coins have gotten more expensive over the short(ish) 8 years I've been collecting. I would be very happy to pick up some of the coins I've sold since then, if I only had to pay what I did at the time! I have to admit I was lucky, but when I checked I still have perhaps half of the coins I bought in 2004, either remaining happy with then or having failed to find better examples to upgrade.

Real rarities aside, modern coins are easily available. You will be able to pick up a 1970 proof shilling or an 1887 in decent condition any time. But drop back to James II or William & Mary and you'll struggle. So if you see a good one now, it's inadvisable to wait.

I started collecting shillings of the first year of issue and for any major bust or reverse change but eventually, as I said, had to narrow my collection or face gaps that would always challenge my budget if the coins were even available at all. I know some people do, but buying one or two coins a year is not much fun for me! So I echo what Rob says. Buy some cheaper recent coins but don't ignore the older ones. And remember, you can always ask people here whether they think a price is acceptable or not. Not that that will stop you from making mistakes, because we all do, but it might help a bit with damage limitation!

In my experience coins have gotten more expensive over the short(ish) 8 years I've been collecting. I would be very happy to pick up some of the coins I've sold since then, if I only had to pay what I did at the time! I have to admit I was lucky, but when I checked I still have perhaps half of the coins I bought in 2004, either remaining happy with then or having failed to find better examples to upgrade.

Real rarities aside, modern coins are easily available. You will be able to pick up a 1970 proof shilling or an 1887 in decent condition any time. But drop back to James II or William & Mary and you'll struggle. So if you see a good one now, it's inadvisable to wait.

I started collecting shillings of the first year of issue and for any major bust or reverse change but eventually, as I said, had to narrow my collection or face gaps that would always challenge my budget if the coins were even available at all. I know some people do, but buying one or two coins a year is not much fun for me! So I echo what Rob says. Buy some cheaper recent coins but don't ignore the older ones. And remember, you can always ask people here whether they think a price is acceptable or not. Not that that will stop you from making mistakes, because we all do, but it might help a bit with damage limitation!

Absolutely, damage limitation is the best anyone can hope for in the beginning; at any time actually, particularly if you're a bargain sniper. I've said in a thread somewhere before, that I learnt more in 1 month on this forum than I'd learnt in the previous 10 years.

We must of course remember that mistakes present the greatest learning opportunities and, for all the many mistakes I've made in life, I've certainly learned proportionately more from those made collecting coins. Anyway, it's not all bad, because there is a certain pleasure that comes from a mistake made only once!

It is also worth noting that older coins in the higher grades will always be desired by colectors, they are only likely to become rarer as time goes on and will hold and increase in value and can make a very good investment.

I hope this post is not misplaced but as a newbie and this thread is abt. pennies I thought the forum would be able to guide me as the grading of this coin I feel it is very good for its age but the colour is dark. thanks in anticipation. Sorry file too big to upload reverse as well will repost.

post-7362-054142400 1335562646_thumb.jpg

I hope this post is not misplaced but as a newbie and this thread is abt. pennies I thought the forum would be able to guide me as the grading of this coin I feel it is very good for its age but the colour is dark. thanks in anticipation. Sorry file too big to upload reverse as well will repost.

Here is the reverse.

post-7362-023719600 1335562968_thumb.jpg

Hi, you'd be better starting a new thread for this (you've just 'threadjacked'). However, your penny is around VF - perhaps slightly better, in terms of wear - and its colour is pretty typical of the series. It looks as though it has been rubbed (I hope not by you!) but isn't overtly 'cleaned' in appearance. The reverse is also VF+ for wear only , but looks as though it has been attacked by the deadly green virus we know as verdigris; I can spot some green staining and there are a few corroded patches. The date is quite common, and the penny would only be worth a pound or two. Worth keeping until something better turns up, but do be careful if storing with other pennies, as that 'green' can spread.

Edited by Peckris

Hi, you'd be better starting a new thread for this (you've just 'threadjacked'). However, your penny is around VF - perhaps slightly better, in terms of wear - and its colour is pretty typical of the series. It looks as though it has been rubbed (I hope not by you!) but isn't overtly 'cleaned' in appearance. The reverse is also VF+ for wear only , but looks as though it has been attacked by the deadly green virus we know as verdigris; I can spot some green staining and there are a few corroded patches. The date is quite common, and the penny would only be worth a pound or two. Worth keeping until something better turns up, but do be careful if storing with other pennies, as that 'green' can spread.

thanks for the advice sorry for misposting,(threadjacking) I am not greatly concerned re any value in the coin it was more an exercise in grading.

thanks for the advice sorry for misposting,(threadjacking) I am not greatly concerned re any value in the coin it was more an exercise in grading.

You're welcome - any bun pennies in that grade but without the "green" are worth having.

1933, 1954.... na. My current lookouts are the 1901 1 to space and the 1922 with dot on trident.

Do you have any idea the value of the 1901 1 to space? I've never seen one up for sale described as such. I know they are very difficult to locate, I sent Michael Gouby a picture but he didn't use it, but he did put a note in his new book.He had never seen one. Dave groom also lists it but without a picture.

post-5660-007289100 1335688992_thumb.jpg