British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Generic Lad

Where to get bulk hammered?

Does anyone know how I would go about getting just bulk scrap hammered because I want to get better at attributing them. Preferably just bulk lots that contain assorted coins (Tealby, long cross, short cross, Tudor, etc.) in attributable but not great condition (cut, corroded, etc.) from a US dealer (because international shipping isn't cheap). I've found some ones on eBay but the shipping is too high compared to the coin price ($2-3 for a cut penny isn't bad, but paying nearly $12 for shipping on that same coin is...)

Does anyone know how I would go about getting just bulk scrap hammered because I want to get better at attributing them. Preferably just bulk lots that contain assorted coins (Tealby, long cross, short cross, Tudor, etc.) in attributable but not great condition (cut, corroded, etc.) from a US dealer (because international shipping isn't cheap). I've found some ones on eBay but the shipping is too high compared to the coin price ($2-3 for a cut penny isn't bad, but paying nearly $12 for shipping on that same coin is...)

You should see what some Americans charge UK buyers for postage. $32 isn't cheap either :unsure:

Try going to some auctions. They always seem to have a few bulk lots. You can also look at the coins without having to buy them.

The only way to get the attribution right is to stock up on literature. Not the generic lists such as Spink or CMV etc, but rather get copies of North, Withers, Wren, past issues of the BNJ with relevant articles etc. You can look at coins and fragments all day long, but ultimately are relying on the research of the past to identify the nuances of each coinage. The only short cut to bypass this course is to ask someone who knows, but they have already done the spadework that you are trying to fast track.

Had you thought of Antony Wilson (York Coins)? He's based in New York but has links to Spink and I'm pretty sure he travels to the UK fairly regularly. Whenever I've had dealings with him he's been very helpful.

Obviously he'd want to cover some of the costs but if he was visiting the UK .. perhaps he could bid and carry a lot for you at less than you'd otherwise pay? Maybe call or email him?

Buy Englands striking history it will introduce you gently and in a readable way to hammered.It is a Rotographic book and a bargain.

You should see what some Americans charge UK buyers for postage. $32 isn't cheap either :unsure:

I've just bought a hammered coin from the states, with postage charge $16 - not bad I thought, but in his listing he writes: "USPS International Registered shipping takes 1-2 months to arrive so if this time frame does not work for you do not bid".

Not that friendly a statement, so I queried it, thinking he must mean 1-2 weeks...nope, he means 1-2 months!

I still bought it anyway...it hasn't arrived, yet!

Buy Englands striking history it will introduce you gently and in a readable way to hammered.It is a Rotographic book and a bargain.

I enjoyed reading that one! I wholeheartedly agree that this should be on the bookshelf of anyone starting out with hammered!

I've just bought a hammered coin from the states, with postage charge $16 - not bad I thought, but in his listing he writes: "USPS International Registered shipping takes 1-2 months to arrive so if this time frame does not work for you do not bid".

Not that friendly a statement, so I queried it, thinking he must mean 1-2 weeks...nope, he means 1-2 months!

Sound like someone selling items he first have to buy elsewhere... Be sure to open your paypal case in time :ph34r:

i buy the odd 2 or 3 hammered small bulk lots from ebay. great fun :D found some nice bits as it turns out.

Sound like someone selling items he first have to buy elsewhere... Be sure to open your paypal case in time :ph34r:

Yes, all very odd, I'll keep a close eye on it!

Had you thought of Antony Wilson (York Coins)? He's based in New York but has links to Spink and I'm pretty sure he travels to the UK fairly regularly. Whenever I've had dealings with him he's been very helpful.

Obviously he'd want to cover some of the costs but if he was visiting the UK .. perhaps he could bid and carry a lot for you at less than you'd otherwise pay? Maybe call or email him?

That's an idea, I frequently visit his site and perhaps he has some lower grade scrap stuff he'd be willing to sell. He's got some lovely coins but they are all out of my price range, I did find a nice Cnut penny that if I find an extra few hundred lying around I want to get :lol:

I think that will be my next book to get, I'm currently waiting for an older version of Coincraft from Amazon (got it for less than $4!) and after that I think I'll get that one, I've heard good things about it.

Wow 2 months, you're only allowed up to 49 days to open a PP case, so does sound like he's at it. Personally on that time frame i would'nt bother, it should never take up to 2 months to get a coin delivered from the USA....

Wow 2 months, you're only allowed up to 49 days to open a PP case, so does sound like he's at it. Personally on that time frame i would'nt bother, it should never take up to 2 months to get a coin delivered from the USA....

I can get a coin delivered to the States in 4-5 days, and I told him so! It was a bargain I couln't resist. Not perfect in the pictures, but has that better-in-the-hand potential, should I every get it in the hand that is? It could be a dog, of course, but 5 out of 10 gambles normally pay off! Will definitely keep my eye the 49 days!

Seriously the best place I have ever seen for bulk hammered was in the bazzar in Istambul. Dealers there have piles of the things and can even sell by weight. Crusader, Stirlings, Groats, German States, French, Italian, Spanish, British you name it. You would have your work cut out getting the country right let alone the clasification. But nothing is cheap in the bazars any more; I bought my first breach loading 1871 Snider up the Kyber pass for £7.50 but that was 40 years ago.

Surface mail can usually take that sort of time period, because it relies on a container full before it is shipped. Surface mail can take 1-2 months but if it is going any other method it should not take that long.

It's arrived, costing me £139 with postage, which I think is superb value! I'd really appreciate opinions on grade, the pictures are an honest view of the coin. I did have some more 'dramatic' pictures (I'm sure you all know the kind), but thought I'd keep it real! So Grade, any thoughts, please?

Grrr, files too big...will post them as soon as I can!

OK submit, how do you do it? I've zipped the files, which are originally 1.6MB. I tried to upload the zipped files but still too big! When checking the properties of the zips, I discovered they are still 1.6MB...any ideas?

Edited by Coinery

It's arrived, costing me £139 with postage, which I think is superb value! I'd really appreciate opinions on grade, the pictures are an honest view of the coin. I did have some more 'dramatic' pictures (I'm sure you all know the kind), but thought I'd keep it real! So Grade, any thoughts, please?

OK submit, how do you do it? I've zipped the files, which are originally 1.6MB. I tried to upload the zipped files but still too big! When checking the properties of the zips, I discovered they are still 1.6MB...any ideas?

JPEG is an efficient format that does not compress well. The only options are to reduce the size/resolution of the pictures or to host them externally on PhotoBucket or the like.

JPEG is an efficient format that does not compress well. The only options are to reduce the size/resolution of the pictures or to host them externally on PhotoBucket or the like.

Thanks Nick, I presume resolution can't be changed once the pictures have been taken?

Thanks Nick, I presume resolution can't be changed once the pictures have been taken?

Resizing the picture does exactly that.

Resizing the picture does exactly that.

Got you! Will have a play in a bit. Many thanks!

With respect, you've been misinformed. JPEGs are the ONLY way to compress and reduce the size / resolution of pictures. "Resolution" is a poor term, as it means different things whether you're talking about pictures, or digital displays. As far as pictures are concerned, there are several things you can do (using an image editor like Photoshop, or one of the cheaper / free alternatives):

1. Reduce the resolution in terms of ppi (pixels per inch). You may see that your out-of-camera resolution is 300 or 150 ppi, which is far too high. To display on a computer screen, you can reduce this to 72. This would affect the printed size too, but that doesn't matter for display here.

2. Reduce the overall dimensions (i.e. the number of pixels in absolute terms). If it is - for example - 3000x2000 pixels, that's far too big for a computer screen. To show nicely in this forum without having to scroll, it doesn't need to be any bigger than 800x600 (though Azda likes 'em far bigger :D )

3. Increase the compression, and thereby reduce the filesize. In Photoshop, the quality / size scale runs from 1 (crap) up to 12 (full size). If you're only going to compress once, play around with a value between 5 and 7, or equivalent.

And don't forget - the average digital camera allows you to reduce the "resolution" even before taking the shot - there should be a range of JPEG options in the menu.

If you take all those actions, you will end up with a JPEG that SHOULD fit into the (rather paltry) 150k maximum which this forum allows.

With respect, you've been misinformed. JPEGs are the ONLY way to compress and reduce the size / resolution of pictures. "Resolution" is a poor term, as it means different things whether you're talking about pictures, or digital displays. As far as pictures are concerned, there are several things you can do (using an image editor like Photoshop, or one of the cheaper / free alternatives):

1. Reduce the resolution in terms of ppi (pixels per inch). You may see that your out-of-camera resolution is 300 or 150 ppi, which is far too high. To display on a computer screen, you can reduce this to 72. This would affect the printed size too, but that doesn't matter for display here.

2. Reduce the overall dimensions (i.e. the number of pixels in absolute terms). If it is - for example - 3000x2000 pixels, that's far too big for a computer screen. To show nicely in this forum without having to scroll, it doesn't need to be any bigger than 800x600 (though Azda likes 'em far bigger :D )

3. Increase the compression, and thereby reduce the filesize. In Photoshop, the quality / size scale runs from 1 (crap) up to 12 (full size). If you're only going to compress once, play around with a value between 5 and 7, or equivalent.

And don't forget - the average digital camera allows you to reduce the "resolution" even before taking the shot - there should be a range of JPEG options in the menu.

If you take all those actions, you will end up with a JPEG that SHOULD fit into the (rather paltry) 150k maximum which this forum allows.

That depends on the capability of your monitor and video card. Most modern monitors are now designed to handle HD video which means a minimum of 1920x1080. 800x600 is like being back in the dark ages.

That depends on the capability of your monitor and video card. Most modern monitors are now designed to handle HD video which means a minimum of 1920x1080. 800x600 is like being back in the dark ages.

I wasn't talking about display size. I was talking about a comfortable size of image of a coin that still lets you see all the finer detail AND see the text that accompanies it, without having to scroll. For the record, my current laptop display is 1440x960, in which an 800x600 image would sit very snugly without causing an eclipse of the sun. :ph34r:

Make a copy of your photo so it's not lost, open the copy in MS Paint, reduce the size to 40%-50%, save it as a jpeg and upload it to Photobucket. When you link to it here it will display in a reasonable size but clicking on it will enlarge to the (reduced) size of the photo you uploaded.

A 1.6MB photowill drop quite quickly to a managable 200-400KB on reduction in dimensions.

So where's this hammered coin then ... ? :P