British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
obsuredbykep

Help me Identify these please :)

Hello.

I am selling a few different coins I have come across recently and do not know what these two are. If you can help identify I'd be most grateful!

The first appears to be Brass, weighing 13g. It's really worn, but you can make out a horse on the front raising one front leg, and on the reverse looks like the pattern seen on the reverse of an Elizabeth II Crown with a crown in the centre and the shields around it. It's only 3cm in diameter.

Front: Image

Reverse: Image

The second is a thin coin. Poor quality as the other but looks quite old.

Side One: Image

Side Two: Image

I just want to know what they are, and what, if anything I should stick them on eBay for.

Thanks

The second coin is a Jeton, which was a counting piece. Probably of the type known as Crown & Orb, but sadly of little value in this condition.

Hello.

I am selling a few different coins I have come across recently and do not know what these two are. If you can help identify I'd be most grateful!

The first appears to be Brass, weighing 13g. It's really worn, but you can make out a horse on the front raising one front leg, and on the reverse looks like the pattern seen on the reverse of an Elizabeth II Crown with a crown in the centre and the shields around it. It's only 3cm in diameter.

Front: Image

Reverse: Image

The second is a thin coin. Poor quality as the other but looks quite old.

Side One: Image

Side Two: Image

I just want to know what they are, and what, if anything I should stick them on eBay for.

Thanks

The picture quality is not good I'm afraid.

The first one has an awful angle on it that makes the obverse (front) make you feel light headed when you try to study it!!! The reverse looks like crowned cruciform shields which appeared on GB coinage from 1662 onwards. Being brass it is probably a contemporary forgery of a halfcrown (weight should be around 14gms for a silver one so a worn brass one at 13 would be about right).

The second one is a jetton or "counting token". As for value, about 4p in scrap metal I'm afraid.

Edited by argentumandcoins

I wouldn't have the cheek to sell them...Bin time.

The first has a horseback rider, with the reverse commonly used on English silver coins from Charles II onwards. However, I believe the same reverse was also used for Hanover? So that may be a clue.

The first piece looks more like a piece of Irish Gun Money.

See here: Irish Gun Money Crown

yes it does, so would be a bit of value.

the jeton is a very common one, from around the same period as the gunmoney piece, but there were a few differant legends and designs.

Nuremberg Jeton of Hans Krauwinkel II - have a browse for those, they were made between 1536-1635

987590.jpg

970613.jpg

couple of mine note the differant legends, so could be some value if you can find out more.

Edited by scott