British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Letters and symbols on early milled silver

Back to my original question, does anyone know why (y?) or whether there is any significance in the two different York mint marks for William III - Y and y?

Back to my original question, does anyone know why (y?) or whether there is any significance in the two different York mint marks for William III - Y and y?

lol! An on-topic post, and the thread dies!

Umm... supposition - perhaps the Y is the the branch mint master, and the y is his helper?!

lol! An on-topic post, and the thread dies!

Umm... supposition - perhaps the Y is the the branch mint master, and the y is his helper?!

Ok ok. Stay calm. You don't want to hurt anyone, really you don't. Not even this thread. Put the gun down, ok? That's right ... ni-i-i-i-i-i-ce and slow ...

Let's hope that bl00dy United don't actually win the League yet again. Is that off topic enough?

anyone winnign the league is better then sh... ahem city winning it

y the question about Y's

I'm not sure why there are upper and lower case Ys and I'm not convinced about . The dies appear to have been cut in London and shipped out to wherever they were needed, hence the unusual overcut mint ids such as Y over E or E over N for example. Nobody really thinks the dies travelled the length of the country when there were closer mints that could have supplied a die in an emergency. The overcut marks were probably to solve the problem of no useable dies at the various locations.

Mr. P. You are a practical man. It's imperative that city come second as this is clearly using the right tool for the job. You cannot change decades old habits at the drop of a hat. They need to come second to reassure themselves that they are still up to the task. :)

I'm not sure why there are upper and lower case Ys and I'm not convinced about . The dies appear to have been cut in London and shipped out to wherever they were needed, hence the unusual overcut mint ids such as Y over E or E over N for example. Nobody really thinks the dies travelled the length of the country when there were closer mints that could have supplied a die in an emergency. The overcut marks were probably to solve the problem of no useable dies at the various locations.

Mr. P. You are a practical man. It's imperative that city come second as this is clearly using the right tool for the job. You cannot change decades old habits at the drop of a hat. They need to come second to reassure themselves that they are still up to the task. :)

Oh, they'll be in the top 2, make no mistake about that. :D