British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulo

How do I know if my coin is an original or copy?

Hello Everyone,

I got a question as to whether the coin I have in my possession is an original or not.

The coin says "BURG.COTYR.1780.X"

I checked it online and have found quite a bit of details about but don't know if my one is original.

I have this coin for a long time but can't remember how I came about it.

I hope someone can help or know someone or somewhere that might.

I thank in advance for any help given.

If anyone requires a picture please give me your email and I will send it as I cannot post it here.

Hello Everyone,

I got a question as to whether the coin I have in my possession is an original or not.

The coin says "BURG.COTYR.1780.X"

I checked it online and have found quite a bit of details about but don't know if my one is original.

I have this coin for a long time but can't remember how I came about it.

I hope someone can help or know someone or somewhere that might.

I thank in advance for any help given.

If anyone requires a picture please give me your email and I will send it as I cannot post it here.

Maria Theresa thalers (which is what you have) have been made in the millions by mints as different as Birmingham, Bombay, Brussels, London, Paris, Rome and Utrecht. Unless it's sparkling new I imagine it would be difficult without personal inspection to tell if it's 'original' (whatever that means for something produced from 1780 right up to 2000). Unless someone else knows differences between the mints?

I would'nt say copy, but Maria theresea Thalers were restruck at some point. My brother has 3 of these, 2 were

Definate restrikes and the other original

I would'nt say copy, but Maria theresea Thalers were restruck at some point. My brother has 3 of these, 2 were

"Restrike" and "original" are not the right terms for a coin that was never out of production for over 200 years.

"Restrike" and "original" are not the right terms for a coin that was never out of production for over 200 years.

According to the article seuk submitted and i quote "Various articles claim that the Maria Theresa Thaler was re-struck with an unchanged appearance since 1780. However, this is only really true for restrikes made after about 1850.

Don't shoot the messanger

There's nothing wrong with MT coins as long as you realise they're simply a way of acquiring silver bullion, not a numismatic rarity, though I would argue that if you want to acquire physical silver primarily as bullion you'd do better off buying tubes of 1oz American Silver Eagles, Austrian Philharmonicas or Canadian Maples (though with VAT on silver at 20% in the UK and silver prices having probably peaked for a while at least, am not sure this is a good idea either at the moment).

According to the article seuk submitted and i quote "Various articles claim that the Maria Theresa Thaler was re-struck with an unchanged appearance since 1780. However, this is only really true for restrikes made after about 1850.

Don't shoot the messanger

I think that article is being a bit lazy with its terminology. If something is coined with "an unchanged appearance since 1780" (until 1849??) then it's hardly a restrike. Unless of course you also call many of the 1754 farthings, 1758 shillings, 1797 twopences and pennies, and so on, "restrikes", as they are in the same situation as Maria Theresa talers, only for a shorter period of time.

Hi.

I have these two Thalers. One is different from the other. Would one of them be an early strike or is it because they were perhaps made in two different mints?

Thanks in advance. 

20180416_115214~2.jpg

• Like 1

You've got to take into account that these are the world's longest continuously struck/circulating coins. They may even still be being struck. I'm sure there must be ways of determining the age of examples, but I personally don't know what they are.