British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mark1

Id Please

Hello All,

I think I have got my act together regarding posting the pictures so I will post the next three now. Same request as before really

1. What are they? and

2. Do they have any real value?

As before if anyone wants better resolution pictures email me at whitton_mark@sky.com and many thanks to all you knowlegable people out there!

Mark Whitton.

post-7301-089032800 1332361531_thumb.jpg

Hello All,

I think I have got my act together regarding posting the pictures so I will post the next three now. Same request as before really

1. What are they? and

As before if anyone wants better resolution pictures email me at whitton_mark@sky.com and many thanks to all you knowlegable people out there!

Mark Whitton.

post-7301-000906900 1332361853_thumb.jpg

Hello All,

1. What are they? and

Mark Whitton.

post-7301-006224700 1332361972_thumb.jpg

Hello All,

1. What are they? and

Mark Whitton.

Top two are Scottish, which are quite collectable, might be worth you e-mailing Clive at "Historic Coinage" or waiting for someone with a bit more information. The bottom one is a Johnny foreigner by the looks of it

The last is Scottish too. So let's start with that one. A half testoon of Mary from 1558. Spink 5413. Not worth too much; between £135 and £475. From the photos, I'd say towards the upper end as it's better than Fine. nVF maybe.

The first one .. a groat (fourpence) I reckon and though I can't make out which king, I'm guessing Robert II. Dating from 1371-1390 Edinburgh issue and if I'm correct, Spink 5131. About £75 in Fine.

The second and I'm guessing smallest, a halfpenny of Robert Bruce Spink 5077. Looks fairly decent so between £500 and £1200? Actually on doing a search if that's the right id, possibly higher, though it's a little smaller than one would ideally like.

I could of course be wrong so I'd suggest getting a second opinion! Nice coins. Does your friend have many more? This detectorist seems to have made some good finds.

Edited by TomGoodheart

The last is Scottish too. So let's start with that one. A half testoon of Mary from 1558. Spink 5413. Not worth too much; between £135 and £475. From the photos, I'd say towards the upper end as it's better than Fine. nVF maybe.

The first one .. a groat (fourpence) I reckon and though I can't make out which king, I'm guessing Robert II. Dating from 1371-1390 Edinburgh issue and if I'm correct, Spink 5131. About £75 in Fine.

The second and I'm guessing smallest, a halfpenny of Robert Bruce Spink 5077. Looks fairly decent so between £500 and £1200? Actually on doing a search if that's the right id, possibly higher, though it's a little smaller than one would ideally like.

I could of course be wrong so I'd suggest getting a second opinion! Nice coins. Does your friend have many more? This detectorist seems to have made some good finds.

I knew a hammered buff would turn up eventually :D

I knew a hammered buff would turn up eventually :D

Why thank you Colin. I know I'm in decent shape for my age, but nobody's ever called me buff before! :lol:

And I just used a little knowledge and Spink's Coins of Scotland.

OK, Mark. I hope your friend knows not to clean or mess with the coins? Anyway, you can carry on posting pics and we'll give opinions, ids etc, or if there are quite a few coins in decent condition then it might be worth her/him visiting a dealer, either for a valuation for insurance or with an idea of selling. Members here can likely make a few suggestions, depending on where your friend is based.

As to the coins above, I'd be happier if another member or two who know a bit about hammered coins chipped in with their ideas too, as Scottish coins aren't really my area of expertise, though I've done my best.

Edited by TomGoodheart

Why thank you Colin. I know I'm in decent shape for my age, but nobody's ever called me buff before!

often hammered though :D:D:D

Why thank you Colin. I know I'm in decent shape for my age, but nobody's ever called me buff before!

Many thanks to Tom and Colin for your knowledge and wisdom. I will pass on your information to my friend and see what he would like to do next. There are quite a few coins but these do appear to be the pick of the bunch. The rest consist of coins like Inverness Pennys from 1795 and 1796 and others that are practically blank discs. As a final request would any of you care to hazard a guess at the value of the coin from the first post? Picture below, apparently a Henry the VIII penny.post-7301-089956200 1333131493_thumb.jpg

Many thanks,

Mark.

Many thanks to Tom and Colin for your knowledge and wisdom. I will pass on your information to my friend and see what he would like to do next. There are quite a few coins but these do appear to be the pick of the bunch. The rest consist of coins like Inverness Pennys from 1795 and 1796 and others that are practically blank discs. As a final request would any of you care to hazard a guess at the value of the coin from the first post? Picture below, apparently a Henry the VIII penny.post-7301-089956200 1333131493_thumb.jpg

Many thanks,

Mark.

I will take a stab at £30-£40 judging by the condition in the pics