British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I just came across this latest rip-off from the Royal Mint - The Double-Florin Anniversary Set "This beautiful limited edition of just 125 presents a ‘very fine’ condition original double-florin coin sourced by Royal Mint experts together with a 2012 silver 20p coin" and all for "only" £145!

According to my Spink 2012 guide, a VF double florin should cost between £40 (for an 1887) and £55 (for an 1890), except for the rarer varieties, so in effect they're charging £90 to £105 for a silver 20p... I pity the "normal" public who have no idea what they should be paying for a VF double florin...

I just came across this latest rip-off from the Royal Mint - The Double-Florin Anniversary Set "This beautiful limited edition of just 125 presents a ‘very fine’ condition original double-florin coin sourced by Royal Mint experts together with a 2012 silver 20p coin" and all for "only" £145!

According to my Spink 2012 guide, a VF double florin should cost between £40 (for an 1887) and £55 (for an 1890), except for the rarer varieties, so in effect they're charging £90 to £105 for a silver 20p... I pity the "normal" public who have no idea what they should be paying for a VF double florin...

Oh well, you can console yourself with the fact that "only" 125 members of the public will get ripped off. Or, if Coincraft buy them all and add their own versions to boost sales, it could be 5,000...

Surely you mean the "general" public old bean? If not you are saying that we who are in the know are abnormal? Oh, on second thoughts maybe you are correct after all :D

In one of the Sundays recently there was a complete Liz 11 crown collection(apart from the polished 1960)average price was pushing £10 INCLUDING CHURCHHILL.1977 crowns (they still appear everywhere & I only bought a quids worth...help I'm being overrun).

I think I will nail varnish my silver proofs then drill them,put on soppy love messages and then bury them in a nearby Roman Fort site with a few 1754 "rare ebay" 1/4ds (oh I will chuck in a few 1853 raised ww).....nurse meds now please :rolleyes:

I think I will nail varnish my silver proofs then drill them,put on soppy love messages and then bury them in a nearby Roman Fort site

Now that would surely increase the value of your holed coins!! :D

i gather it isn't just me who is sick and tired of these ridiculous "offers" from the mint, i get emails almost daily asking if i would like this bit of tat or that bit of tat. unless it is a genuine collectable offer i tend to put them straight into the bin. and yes i bought all the olympic coins for my grandson but any others no thanks!!!

It's disgraceful that the Royal Mint peddle such utter crap and use the same language and sales tactics as the other well known peddlers of the same coin crap. The Royal Mint represents the country and it's making a bloody fool of itself.

I think the RM should be banned from commercial ventures like this (i.e. involving older re-packaged coins) because it's very mis-leading that an official govt and Royally backed institution should be allowed to sell over priced toot to its trusting public. The new issues are bad enough.

Just because they are who they are, people fall for it and coin dealers like me have to pick up the pieces when the owners want to sell them in a few years! It's deception on an official scale (and the coin in the image is also clearly a lot better than 'very fine') and something needs to be setup to inform the public.

I was looking at this the other day of their site... nearly fell off my chair!

Although, its comparable to the now £49.99 that they want for an olympic 50p... so its got Lord Coe's signature on it... yes, I'll pay 100x the face value of the coin for a bit of cardboard with an illegible scribble on it!

All we can do it hope that people stumble upon this forum before they spend money on Royal Mint novelty/tourist products!

Incredibly - "Due to popular demand, this product is no longer available"

really means.....we couldnt sell em so we melted em all down :D

i wouldnt part with my unc or ef d/florins, however ive emailed the mint and offered them my entire vf collection of d/florins for a oner each, pointing out that they are worth much less than this, no reply yet :)

i wouldnt part with my unc or ef d/florins, however ive emailed the mint and offered them my entire vf collection of d/florins for a oner each, pointing out that they are worth much less than this, no reply yet :)

Jeez, even the silver is worth MUCH more than £1.

I just came across this latest rip-off from the Royal Mint - The Double-Florin Anniversary Set "This beautiful limited edition of just 125 presents a 'very fine' condition original double-florin coin sourced by Royal Mint experts together with a 2012 silver 20p coin" and all for "only" £145!

Oh well, you can console yourself with the fact that "only" 125 members of the public will get ripped off. Or, if Coincraft buy them all and add their own versions to boost sales, it could be 5,000...

My neighbour is from Essex somewhere and knows the guy who owns coincraft, apparently he's an American?

I just came across this latest rip-off from the Royal Mint - The Double-Florin Anniversary Set "This beautiful limited edition of just 125 presents a 'very fine' condition original double-florin coin sourced by Royal Mint experts together with a 2012 silver 20p coin" and all for "only" £145!

My neighbour is from Essex somewhere and knows the guy who owns coincraft, apparently he's an American?

Who is? Your neighbour in Munchen from Essex or the guy who owns Coincraft?

Either way what's that got to do with 20% going onto the price of hot pies in Blighty? :D

He is respected in the coin industry and produced some excellent books.His prices at coin fairs are more in line with the market.

Who buys from his publications apart from ham fisted cowboys and the uneducated collector.?(under duress)

No one is respected for selling shit....

but some people ARE respected for making lots of money out of selling lots of it!

No one is respected for selling shit....

but some people ARE respected for making lots of money out of selling lots of it!

Ronald McDonald? :D

oner = 100 notes = £100 :)

oner = 100 notes = £100 :)

That's a "ton" - where I come from, "oner" is "one". :)

Who is? Your neighbour in Munchen from Essex or the guy who owns Coincraft?

Either way what's that got to do with 20% going onto the price of hot pies in Blighty? :D

Correct, my neighbour is from Essex who lives 2 storeys above me, and apparently they're quite good buddies. The neighbour is a note collector.......I'll be taking a looksy at his notes soon :rolleyes:

Ps a Oner is also a ton where i came from.......

Edited by azda

Or conceivably; 'we've been taking so much stick over the price of this that we thought we'd better lie low for a while'

I suppose we can hope.