British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Mark1

Help with id please

Hello All,

A friend of mine has had a family member pass away. He was a keen metal-detectorist, (if that is a word!), and has left quite a number of coins. He has asked me to see if I can 1. Identify what they are and 2. if they have any kind of value. To be honest I am a little unsure what to do as I have very little knowledge on the subject. Could any of you possibly help? I have picked 4 coins to show you all initially as they appear to be the oldest and most interesting. (It may take a couple of days as I only have 150k of daily picture allowance though!)If anyone would like a higher quality picture email me at whitton_mark@sky.com and I will send a higher resolution picture.

Thanks in advance,

Mark.

post-7301-034411400 1332104830_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark, The 150kb limit is per post, not day. But if you have a photohosting account like flikr or photobucket you can put a link to the images directly in a post which might be easier.

I believe the coin above is a Henry VIII penny. Probably an ecclesiastical issue (minted by a Bishop) though which one, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else will know.

ok! I make it Henry VIII 'sovereign penny', (king on a throne - with 2 pillars) Mint mark is a sun Spinks 2353 (SedeVacante). Of course someone else could always disagree!!

ok! I make it Henry VIII 'sovereign penny', (king on a throne - with 2 pillars) Mint mark is a sun Spinks 2353 (SedeVacante). Of course someone else could always disagree!!

Looks right to me Geordie.