British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Debbie

1000th member?

I notice that the membership number is up to 998...who will be the 1000th I wonder.

It has me wondering what percentage of members actually contribute to the forum, I'm pretty sure its not anywhere near 1000?!!! And who is the longest serving member (apart from Chris of course) B)

Opps that's 988 :ph34r: ......still!

I notice that the membership number is up to 998...who will be the 1000th I wonder.

It has me wondering what percentage of members actually contribute to the forum, I'm pretty sure its not anywhere near 1000?!!! And who is the longest serving member (apart from Chris of course) B)

If you look at the poll I did regarding who has literature, there were just over 30 people contributed. Some regular names were missing, but many were there. A couple of these appear to have stopped posting, but we have added others. A core of 40-50 therefore seem appropriate bulked out by a similar number, possibly slightly fewer, who post intermittently, but have done so over a long period of time. A lot of members have never posted, but register just to add their contact details with an email or website address. This is almost never coin related.

Chris will have to answer the second question.

A lot of people who join are only here for a 1 coin related question and when they have their answer you never see them again. As Rob says, there is about 40-50 people who do regularly post, my guess would be there's maybe 100 perhaps more who contribute, albeit intermitently.

If you look at the poll I did regarding who has literature, there were just over 30 people contributed. Some regular names were missing, but many were there. A couple of these appear to have stopped posting, but we have added others. A core of 40-50 therefore seem appropriate bulked out by a similar number, possibly slightly fewer, who post intermittently, but have done so over a long period of time. A lot of members have never posted, but register just to add their contact details with an email or website address. This is almost never coin related.

Chris will have to answer the second question.

This link should answer the first question.

And this link the second.

It's interesting to see that some previously active members appear to have completely disappeared from the site (and possibly from collecting?).

Edited by Accumulator

Thank you gents, I can always rely on you lot to give great detailed replies to the vaguest/ muses and questions!! :ph34r:

That's an intersting list, doesn't seem to be in any particular order(?) Does anyone know what the reputaion and the stars refer to?

It's interesting to see that some previously active members appear to have completely disappeared from the site (and possibly from collecting?).

Perhaps if some older members are still about they could give us a quick " I am still here and collecting" greeting? :)

I am an older member who stopped (I joined briefly in about 2005 or 2006?). At that time I remember a very active member was a young American lad who went by the name of Master JMD. I then rejoined in 2009 with a different username. The lad was by then nowhere to be seen.

I have no idea what happened to the young Master, but I'm here twice over (in fact three times, as I temporarily became Peckris2 some months ago when my computer had problems and I forgot my login details which I never need from one month to the next). So there is clearly a complexity to people's lives and stories which means that your 988 don't encompass 988 separate individuals. And some people disappear for reasons best known to them.

One complication unique to this site is that your Username - which you require in order to retrieve forgotten passwords - is not the same as the visible Username by which everyone knows you. So if I ever need to retrieve my password I'd need to know "who I am", other than Peckris. Which of course I don't, as I'm never logged out. I wonder how many regular members experience a computer disaster and have to re-register as a new user? It must happen from time to time.

One complication unique to this site is that your Username - which you require in order to retrieve forgotten passwords - is not the same as the visible Username by which everyone knows you. So if I ever need to retrieve my password I'd need to know "who I am", other than Peckris. Which of course I don't, as I'm never logged out. I wonder how many regular members experience a computer disaster and have to re-register as a new user? It must happen from time to time.

That's strange. I'm sure I only have the one name, which is the same as my visible username. It's not saved on my computer so I do have to log in again from time to time using it, and my password.

Even in my couple of years I've seen several members who were very active for a while and then disappeared. What happened to 1949threepence or the other Rob (I forget his exact name but he reached a thousand posts in record time)? And what about the whirlwind that was Gollum? I'm sure there are many others too.

The other statistic that's interesting is "Online At Once Record : 82 09 August 2010 06:31pm"

Whenever I look to see who's on line there is usually just one or two of us. Was there a coin related story on the tea time news on that day?

smile.gif

David

The other statistic that's interesting is "Online At Once Record : 82 09 August 2010 06:31pm"

Whenever I look to see who's on line there is usually just one or two of us. Was there a coin related story on the tea time news on that day?

smile.gif

David

The only tea time related story would have been Spam. (sorry)

A few of the regulars from 7 or 8 years ago were minors who have now grown up and moved on. Geoff T commented one day about William, who he met in his post school years at the RNCM in Manchester where he was studying. There will always be losses for this reason, but less explicable are those who post hundreds of times in the space of months only to disappear.

Edited by Rob

I see Geoff hasn't posted for months now and even then, has been nowhere near a regular contributer as he was a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if people become busy with other things; Declan and his house move for example, or lose interest in the hobby, or at least writing about it?

Gollum hopefully is ok. I seem to remember his health is none too good .. or maybe his wife found out he was spending money on coins!

It'd be interesting to catch up on some of the 'old' members, particularly the youngsters, to see if they are still collecting, or if they got to whatever heights they were aspiring to. (See?! I could have used GeoffT's help there since I'm sure you're not supposed to split infinitives or something!) Emperor Oli perhaps?

Or maybe they are all just on Farmville ... :P

Edited by TomGoodheart

smile.gif

David

The only tea time related story would have been Spam. (sorry)

A few of the regulars from 7 or 8 years ago were minors who have now grown up and moved on. Geoff T commented one day about William, who he met in his post school years at the RNCM in Manchester where he was studying. There will always be losses for this reason, but less explicable are those who post hundreds of times in the space of months only to disappear.

I think they collect fora post numbers rather than material items?

Anyway, back to Debbies original post.

I heard a whisper that Chris was going to give a 1934 Crown to the 1000th member.......

The other Rob was RobJ, the other one i remember was 400f for a penny who was also a regular when i signed up, not heard from him in a while either

I heard a whisper that Chris was going to give a 1934 Crown to the 1000th member.......

Perhaps I might make a disappearance then and re-appear as a new member at the right time :D

Now then I think we might even beat the 82 online at that point! :D

I think most of the members are spammers that never actually got around to spamming, or have spam in their signatures that I haven't spotted and zapped yet. Most days there are 1-3 new members and probably about 10% are actually real people that take part. And yes, as Rob says, around 30-50 are here regularly.

Way back in 2003 (nearly 10 years, good grief) I was of course the founder and only member. I was talking to myself for ages until Sylvester and Emperor Oli came along to keep me company. Sylvester is still around (he was 19/20 at the time), Emp Oli was about 15/16 in 2003. No doubt both are married (not to eachother I suspect) with kids by now.

I'm sure I saw Geoff The other day. MasterJMD was very active pretty early on, but I seem to remember him being as pale and British as you and I, Peck! There was a young William and a young Jon.... HalfpennyJon, or something like that. I ended up buying back some of the coins I'd sold him, so I imagine he's out of coins for the moment.

Oh and the 82 online at once is complete fiction! That was a particularly heavy spam-day before the membership restrictions were so tough. I should imagine the online at once record is probably about 10! But 82 does look better and I can't find where to reset it...honest.

I think most of the members are spammers that never actually got around to spamming, or have spam in their signatures that I haven't spotted and zapped yet. Most days there are 1-3 new members and probably about 10% are actually real people that take part. And yes, as Rob says, around 30-50 are here regularly.

Way back in 2003 (nearly 10 years, good grief) I was of course the founder and only member. I was talking to myself for ages until Sylvester and Emperor Oli came along to keep me company. Sylvester is still around (he was 19/20 at the time), Emp Oli was about 15/16 in 2003. No doubt both are married (not to eachother I suspect) with kids by now.

I'm sure I saw Geoff The other day. MasterJMD was very active pretty early on, but I seem to remember him being as pale and British as you and I, Peck! There was a young William and a young Jon.... HalfpennyJon, or something like that. I ended up buying back some of the coins I'd sold him, so I imagine he's out of coins for the moment.

Oh and the 82 online at once is complete fiction! That was a particularly heavy spam-day before the membership restrictions were so tough. I should imagine the online at once record is probably about 10! But 82 does look better and I can't find where to reset it...honest.

I note that you did not dispel the rumour about you giving a 34 Wreath to the 1000th member Chris (you are indeed a very generous host) :D

What would the spam bot do with it?

Clearly a ludicarious concept.

I've deleted a few, now down to 976. I bet I could delete a couple of hundred if I could be bothered. That way it would never get to 1000.

I see Geoff hasn't posted for months now and even then, has been nowhere near a regular contributer as he was a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if people become busy with other things; Declan and his house move for example, or lose interest in the hobby, or at least writing about it?

Gollum hopefully is ok. I seem to remember his health is none too good .. or maybe his wife found out he was spending money on coins!

It'd be interesting to catch up on some of the 'old' members, particularly the youngsters, to see if they are still collecting, or if they got to whatever heights they were aspiring to. (See?! I could have used GeoffT's help there since I'm sure you're not supposed to split infinitives or something!) Emperor Oli perhaps?

I have news regarding Gollum the whirlwind (Garry), happy to share it with anyone through PM or email but I would rather not post it to here ...

That's strange. I'm sure I only have the one name, which is the same as my visible username. It's not saved on my computer so I do have to log in again from time to time using it, and my password.

You must have had the foresight to use the same name for both then, when you registered. But I know for a fact that my main "username" isn't Peckris, and that's the one I'd need if I lost my password.

I have news regarding Gollum the whirlwind (Garry), happy to share it with anyone through PM or email but I would rather not post it to here ...

Can you PM me please?

I'm back! House move completed on the day we said we'd do it - March 1st. Broadband connected on the 5th, and coin business back up and running now that I've built a desk at the weekend! Rather fun moving into a completely unfurnished place from a bus - it meant we were really starting from scratch. Everyone we know suddenly had lots of stuff they didn't want, so we have managed to accumulate everything in a matter of a few days. The first thing I had to do was build a bed, as the staircase is far too narrow to get one up.

Still pinching oursleves every time we wake up here - not quite sure how we pulled this off - blag of the flippin' century. Strange things in the kitchen that you turn and they produce hot water out of nowhere. We don't even have to carry it in, it's just there!

I'm back! House move completed on the day we said we'd do it - March 1st. Broadband connected on the 5th, and coin business back up and running now that I've built a desk at the weekend! Rather fun moving into a completely unfurnished place from a bus - it meant we were really starting from scratch. Everyone we know suddenly had lots of stuff they didn't want, so we have managed to accumulate everything in a matter of a few days. The first thing I had to do was build a bed, as the staircase is far too narrow to get one up.

Still pinching oursleves every time we wake up here - not quite sure how we pulled this off - blag of the flippin' century. Strange things in the kitchen that you turn and they produce hot water out of nowhere. We don't even have to carry it in, it's just there!

Welcome back Declan, glad everything went smoothly for you and the Frau, so just one thing left to ask. When's the house warming party?

Edited by azda

You must have had the foresight to use the same name for both then, when you registered. But I know for a fact that my main "username" isn't Peckris, and that's the one I'd need if I lost my password.

I'm happy to take the credit for foresight, but dumb luck would be a better description!