British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

1905 Florin - advice please!

I am debating whether to buy this 1905 Florin from an on-line dealer, I wont be able to see it in hand before I decide ... I would value members' opinions as to grade and value (i.e. what you might expect to pay a dealer for this coin in this grade), I will submit my final offer on Sunday 11/3, thanks for any interest and guidance!

1905_Florin_Rev01_Sellers_Pic.png

1905_Florin_Obv01_Sellers_Pic.png

I am debating whether to buy this 1905 Florin from an on-line dealer, I wont be able to see it in hand before I decide ... I would value members' opinions as to grade and value (i.e. what you might expect to pay a dealer for this coin in this grade), I will submit my final offer on Sunday 11/3, thanks for any interest and guidance!

It doesn't appear to be any better than Fine, so that would be about the £50 quid mark.

REV is a bit blurry, but i'd say better than Fine, GF possibly a little better, but unfortunately, poor pics

The obverse has the ear intact, and has sharp lettering. I would grade it GF

The reverse has the face worn completely, which at best would grade it barely Fine, but the full date makes up for that, so I would grade that side Fine to GF

Overall I think the coin would grade at least fine, but more probably Good Fine.

Personal Opinion only! LOL!

It doesn't appear to be any better than Fine, so that would be about the £50 quid mark.

So we're totally in agreement then on grade....................Is it genuine Paulus? :ph34r:

So we're totally in agreement then on grade....................Is it genuine Paulus? :ph34r:

I have absolutely no idea any more!!

gF - I'm OK with that. 50 pounds seems a bit cheap, but 100 steep. How about 80?

That is not an offer however!

Do be aware that the 1905 florin is only worth getting if you're making up a 1905 silver set. Otherwise it's best left alone. Its high value is partly caused by the 'magic' of the date. But really, the halfcrown and shilling are the real rarities. Sometimes you even see the sixpence coming out top, when actually the 1904 is much harder. As I say - good for a set, but otherwise don't be fooled by its value.

Do be aware that the 1905 florin is only worth getting if you're making up a 1905 silver set. Otherwise it's best left alone. Its high value is partly caused by the 'magic' of the date. But really, the halfcrown and shilling are the real rarities. Sometimes you even see the sixpence coming out top, when actually the 1904 is much harder. As I say - good for a set, but otherwise don't be fooled by its value.

Thanks Peckris, at the moment I am still collecting eddie 7 and george 5 dates and this would complete my 1905, so I am sorely tempted ... I always am by bad pics bizarrely, to me the coin can only be better than the pic!

May not that be that much of investment at the right price until another comes along.

Also, in slight counter point, even if it is not as scarce, demand is king!

May not that be that much of investment at the right price until another comes along.

Also, in slight counter point, even if it is not as scarce, demand is king!

This very true - for example *why* is the 1989 proof sovereign so expensive? Yes it has a one-off (and rather nice) design, but the mintage numbers are higher than some of the later proof sovereigns and the price is way more than the other one-off design years (2002, 2005 and now 2012). The reason - demand! People like the coin...

I know it's ghastly, but you could have this one for £20:

http://www.predecimal.com/florin-1905-goodvg-reduced-p-9197.html

The date gets worn first?

on my coins its the head.

still a nice little coin

still a nice little coin

Better pics, I think I will acquire it!

1905_Florin_Rev01.png

1905_Florin_Obv01.png

still a nice little coin

Technically the head gets worn first but the date is (annoyingly) the first thing to wear away completely.

Can anybody offer up a rationale for the consistently high prices that EdVII pieces go for? If I'm very observant (and patient), I can get a steal on eBay for just about anything, from hammered to Victoria but, Edward, he's a very different animal, that rarely produces a bargain!

Can anybody offer up a rationale for the consistently high prices that EdVII pieces go for? If I'm very observant (and patient), I can get a steal on eBay for just about anything, from hammered to Victoria but, Edward, he's a very different animal, that rarely produces a bargain!

Just a nine year reign, there's not so much of it around.

Mintages are actually quite low for most of the earlier years, caused if I remember correctly by the very high price of silver bullion. The florin is generally sought after as it is aesthetically pleasing, unlike the dull as ditchwater George V issues.

Absolutely, and even the halfcrown has a bit of drama to it somehow....The florin looks OK until you actually get a closeup of Britannia's face - Uggh! A blowup of that rather dulled my enthusiasm for the issue's aesthetics. Still I love them.

Edited by VickySilver

In high grade that reign has always been difficult. In the 1925 Spink "The Milled Silver Coinage of England" it says "Many of the coins of this reign are quite scarce". Of George V the same book says "None are rare." It's partly due to the shallowness of the portrait causing rapid wear, and it may also be that mintages were generally low in relation to demand.

Absolutely, and even the halfcrown has a bit of drama to it somehow....The florin looks OK until you actually get a closeup of Britannia's face - Uggh! A blowup of that rather dulled my enthusiasm for the issue's aesthetics. Still I love them.

Yes, but this applies to virtually all coins. The bun Britannia looks er... less than attractive in close up. Better to concentrate on some of the more robust physical features, my favourite being the particularly buxom Britannia in the 1825-60 copper series. As the art historian Robert Hughes said (of Goya's La Maja) 'one could imagine climbing into the picture and having a really great afternoon'. Mind you, she could do some serious damage with that trident of hers...

She has'nt seen my Trident yet ;)

Somebody (not me) said: "well, hard to come about with that in close quarters"...LOL

Edited by VickySilver

Yes, but this applies to virtually all coins. The bun Britannia looks er... less than attractive in close up. Better to concentrate on some of the more robust physical features, my favourite being the particularly buxom Britannia in the 1825-60 copper series. As the art historian Robert Hughes said (of Goya's La Maja) 'one could imagine climbing into the picture and having a really great afternoon'. Mind you, she could do some serious damage with that trident of hers...

She'd beat me at arm wrestling every time :D

She has'nt seen my Trident yet ;)

I should see a doctor if I were you.