British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

numismatist

1905 HALFCROWN --- is it genuine ?

Saw this, it was withdrawn from a Major Auction, to me it looks strange

and makes me wonder if its a Chinese Fake. The letters forming BRITT seem to

fade into the field at their bases and the colour looks abnormal and gives

a flatness that I feel is seen on the Chinese Coins

post-6970-061878100 1330850304_thumb.jpg

post-6970-069433000 1330850322_thumb.jpg

Look at the attempt at pense on the reverse :D

Saw this, it was withdrawn from a Major Auction, to me it looks strange

and makes me wonder if its a Chinese Fake. The letters forming BRITT seem to

fade into the field at their bases and the colour looks abnormal and gives

a flatness that I feel is seen on the Chinese Coins

A lot may be withdrawn for any number of reasons, so it may not be because it is suspect. However, it doesn't look right and the wear doesn't seem very consistent. There are reasons why I think this one is suspect, but I'd prefer not to give the faker the opportunity to do a better job next time.

Look at the attempt at pense on the reverse :D

The wear to the reverse looks very flat as though it has been rubbed against a flat surface. Apparently coins are artificially worn by rubbing on a piece of leather. The colour doesn't look right either. The middle eastern fakes tend to tone to a very flat grey.

The shape of the King's head, not to mention ALL the lettering look terrible and poorly done. Which, pray tell, was the auction house?

It was London Coins ,( latest sale ) and they have a few 1905 Halfcrowns

and that was the best one I think and it just looked very strange in wear

and in colour, so I kept a photo and it would be interesting to know if

they did pull it because doubts had been made about it .

It does look very dubious. I wouldn't buy based on that photo.

that colour is possible, but not like that no toning on the shield, yet on some strange parts of the head, i would see legends as toning hotspots and around the portrait and in the shield, but in that grade i would just expect a dull grey

No one with a brain would buy that....OK there are plenty of Wayne Keres out there....BTW I have worked with P Urin and got close shagging a Tara Pawling.

Just noticed on the World Champs there is a Gaylord Silly :D

No one with a brain would buy that....OK there are plenty of Wayne Keres out there....BTW I have worked with P Urin and got close shagging a Tara Pawling.

I've met both Theresa Green & Annette Curtin

biggrin.gif

David

I've met both Theresa Green & Annette Curtin

biggrin.gif

David

I've seen the van of antiques dealer Robin Bastard (true!)

Anyone see the Dutch diplomat/politician Tiny Kox on the news recently? I thought it was an error, but he's a real man!

Anyone see the Dutch diplomat/politician Tiny Kox on the news recently? I thought it was an error, but he's a real man!

I had a Richard Head in my class at school ...

I had a Richard Head in my class at school ...

Didn't we all. Oh sorry, you mean a real one.

Ivor Noble was in the year below me.

Also Hugh Janus was always mentioned in the Rugby reports for the village team :)

Ivor Noble was in the year below me.

Also Hugh Janus was always mentioned in the Rugby reports for the village team :)

My girlfriend went to school with Wayne King and Lee King (brothers with parents that had a sense of humour)

we had a maths master at school whos surname was bates.

i had a girlfriend called theresa green.....same one?

i did get expelled from school for 2 weeks for removing the "d" and "e" from the deputy head's door.

Translate Peter Green to French. :)

That one doesn't work. Pierre is masculine, so the final t isn't pronounced. Pity really. Anyway, I wasn't aware that Peter Green was so inclined. B****y good musician though.

Do you know the origin of a certain pervy greeting in English? It goes back to the days of the French Navy. Before a sea battle the crews were allowed to hit the red-light district en masse. When it was time to embark they sent a messenger round all the brothels to call out (in French) : "To the water - it is the hour".

Do you know the origin of a certain pervy greeting in English? It goes back to the days of the French Navy. Before a sea battle the crews were allowed to hit the red-light district en masse. When it was time to embark they sent a messenger round all the brothels to call out (in French) : "To the water - it is the hour".

Not falling for that one again! :D

Not falling for that one again! :D

Dick Emery!

... which reminds me of another joke!

The QPR footballer called Fitz Hall is nicknamed one size :)

Also Justin Sidebottom