British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Oxford_Collector

World's most expensive coin displayed in London

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17229794

"The world's most expensive coin is going on display in London at the Goldsmith's Hall, as part of a high security tour around Europe.

The 1933 Double Eagle coin needs three security guards to accompany it wherever it goes.

Curator Karen Lee told Breakfast that the 1933 coin was never supposed to make it into circulation, which is why it is so rare."

what is with 1933

Apparently, depression was great back then.

what is with 1933

Due to the great depression, all Gold was melted, including the 1933 which should never have gone into circulation. single figure minatge is known to exist still and only 1 in private hands (they don't know who has it) and several are in the hands of the USA authorities awaiting litigation.

Now to the ugly............

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tyne/6357311.stm

what is with 1933

You mean, why is 1933 also the date of one of the most sought after British coins too?

yes, i know about the great depression, but it didnt stop the massive ammounts of silvers did it ;)

and yes why is 1933 a sought after date in UK too

Edited by scott

yes, i know about the great depression, but it didnt stop the massive ammounts of silvers did it ;)

and yes why is 1933 a sought after date in UK too

Believe it or not there is a forum thread from a couple of years ago on this very subject...

link

One of the best altered dates I've seen.

Any excuse to post a pic: :)

Penny1933%20F209%205%20+%20C%20REV%20500x500.jpgPenny1933%20F209%205%20+%20C%20OBV%20500x500.jpg

It's not bad, but up close and personal those 3's are different sizes.

That's true, and really the only clue. Of course I know it must be altered but even under a scope it's impossible to see how.

That's true, and really the only clue. Of course I know it must be altered but even under a scope it's impossible to see how.

If I was a machinist, I'd take a 1935 penny as the base, then cut the upper part of the '3' from another penny including some surrounding metal. Then I'd carefully cut out the top of the '5' and drop in the portion of the '3' from the second penny. It would require a microscope and much adjustment to get it right, then it would be a matter of rubbing and treating to conceal the join.

Lovejoy would be proud of it!