British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

pontiacman68

Know of any pics of this silver coin?

Off and on for about two months while awaiting for back surgery, I have searched hundreds of sites to find any info on the 1938 George VI silver One Penny. It has Britannia on the reverse. Only a couple of sentences and no luck even finding a picture of it. Tons of the bronze and other silver coins during his reign but NONE of the penny! Were the silver coins low in mintage? Anyone have any info about this coin?

Thanx! (I will have to change the settings on my camera. Too large to download here right now.)

Off and on for about two months while awaiting for back surgery, I have searched hundreds of sites to find any info on the 1938 George VI silver One Penny. It has Britannia on the reverse. Only a couple of sentences and no luck even finding a picture of it. Tons of the bronze and other silver coins during his reign but NONE of the penny! Were the silver coins low in mintage? Anyone have any info about this coin?

Thanx! (I will have to change the settings on my camera. Too large to download here right now.)

I think the only silver pennies (and Fourpence and Twopence) issued during George VI's reign were maundy issues. Mintage for Maundy money is always pretty low, there's some mintage figures and indicative values (for the sets) here, but I don't know how up-to-date this is: http://www.maundymoney.info/26064/14115.html According to this the mintage for the 1938 set was 1,275 pieces. BTW the coin will be 50% silver, not sterling (92.5%), as maundy money was debased along with the rest of our coinage in 1921, though was restored back to sterling silver in 1947 when silver was removed completely from our circulating coinage . Hope this helps!

I think the only silver pennies (and Fourpence and Twopence) issued during George VI's reign were maundy issues. Mintage for Maundy money is always pretty low, there's some mintage figures and indicative values (for the sets) here, but I don't know how up-to-date this is: http://www.maundymoney.info/26064/14115.html According to this the mintage for the 1938 set was 1,275 pieces. BTW the coin will be 50% silver, not sterling (92.5%), as maundy money was debased along with the rest of our coinage in 1921, though was restored back to sterling silver in 1947 when silver was removed completely from our circulating coinage . Hope this helps!

Sorry, I've just read your post again, you've said it has Britannia on the reverse (which the maundy penny doesn't) - I don't know of any British silver penny of 1938 with Britannia on it - sounds more like a 19th century groat! Is it British or a colonial coin?

I think the only silver pennies (and Fourpence and Twopence) issued during George VI's reign were maundy issues. Mintage for Maundy money is always pretty low, there's some mintage figures and indicative values (for the sets) here, but I don't know how up-to-date this is: http://www.maundymon...6064/14115.html According to this the mintage for the 1938 set was 1,275 pieces. BTW the coin will be 50% silver, not sterling (92.5%), as maundy money was debased along with the rest of our coinage in 1921, though was restored back to sterling silver in 1947 when silver was removed completely from our circulating coinage . Hope this helps!

Sorry, I've just read your post again, you've said it has Britannia on the reverse (which the maundy penny doesn't) - I don't know of any British silver penny of 1938 with Britannia on it - sounds more like a 19th century groat! Is it British or a colonial coin?

Or it could be a Penny that someone has had dipped in silver. Silver would weigh more if genuine, get it weighed and let us know.

I tried to upload a pic on my camera's lowest setting (830kb) yet I was told it was still too big. Oh well. I will have to wait for the "mobile pawn vultures" to invade our poor town near the mexican border and then have the coin weighed and chemically checked for any silver. It does not look like it was plated, but you never know. My grandfather gave it to me along with a couple hundred of other coins in 1971 or 1972. He was a banker and had a huge coin collection back then. I'll get back to you guys soon.

I tried to upload a pic on my camera's lowest setting (830kb) yet I was told it was still too big. Oh well. I will have to wait for the "mobile pawn vultures" to invade our poor town near the mexican border and then have the coin weighed and chemically checked for any silver. It does not look like it was plated, but you never know. My grandfather gave it to me along with a couple hundred of other coins in 1971 or 1972. He was a banker and had a huge coin collection back then. I'll get back to you guys soon.

Try this from Microsoft on the XP (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-xp) Image resizer. Load it then right click over the picture you need to resize, select image resize and off you go. Once loaded it's always there at the click of a button, right click that is.

All you need to do is to compress your pictures in any image editor - save it as a JPEG with a fairly low-quality setting, and you should be ok for size.

Until then, what size coin are you talking about? Is it standard penny size? In which case it;s probably a bronze penny dipped or chromed. If it's a small silver coin, then describe it fully with legend, position of date, etc. Thanks.

Okay, resized it. Dang that's small. What's the dimenions that this site will allow? the One Penny is standard size coin. Still waiting for the "vultures". The fair in town may be delaying them. Thank you!

post-7266-065119100 1330903437_thumb.jpg

Okay, resized it. Dang that's small. What's the dimenions that this site will allow? the One Penny is standard size coin. Still waiting for the "vultures". The fair in town may be delaying them. Thank you!

The limitation on the file size, not dimensions, I think, if you up the JPG compression a bit you can upload some reasonably large images. From what I can tell from the tiny photo and description, it sounds like a silver (or maybe nickel?) plated ordinary penny, though.

This should be somewhat better...

It looks like a low grade penny which has been silver plated.

This should be somewhat better...

It looks like a low grade penny which has been silver plated.

Agreed, or possibly chromed.

It was a common school experiment to mercury plate money before the dangers of mercury plating were discovered. To be on the safe side I immediately bin anything like that.

It was a common school experiment to mercury plate money before the dangers of mercury plating were discovered. To be on the safe side I immediately bin anything like that.

True. Interestingly, the dangers of mercury never stopped it being used in amalgam fillings though!

I remember it well, Chemistry Practical - all Friday afternoon, qualitative analysis - we had access to the works, and a bit of unofficial chemistry was commonplace; take a penny, give it a quick dip in conc nitric acid then drop it into 10% mercuric chloride. 1961 long before Health & Safety

True. Interestingly, the dangers of mercury never stopped it being used in amalgam fillings though!

The dental amalgam was insoluble and of very little hazard to the patients. However both dentists and their nurses did suffer problems due to long term exposure of fumes from traces of spilt mercury

An example of why Health & Safety was necessary

What we often lack these days is intelligent interpretation of risk - so managers ban everything in case they are sued.

smile.gif

David

Finally had this coin checked out. It weighs 9.4 grams and the plating is not silver. Unknown what the coating is but it might as well had been painted lime green since it's worth basicaly nothing. It is also non-magnetic. Thank you guys!