50 Years of RotographicPredecimal.com. British Numismatic Trade Association Member - One of the most popular websites on British coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2014 Standard Guide to Grading British Coins British and Empire Campaign Medals 1793 to 1902British and Irish Campaign Medals 1902 to 2010England's Striking History Roman Base Metal Coins - A Price Guide Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide  Available for Kindle Available as .epub
The Current Rotographic printed book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals.

Photo

Should i sell my collection

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Should i sell? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

shoudd i sell

1. yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. only coins not needed (9 votes [56.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

3. no (7 votes [43.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Hello17

Hello17

Member Title

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Interests:Interests

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

Now have good news and bad news.

Bad news

my 1807 halfpenny is EF and thats quite a coin, but before i had , it has a deep x (engraved i guess) on it

good news

Fasle alarm... Thought i had a minor varieitie, 1882h penny, but thanks to the internet, im not jumping :o

"My apple tastes like a block of copper" - Totally origanal quote.

This isn't just a forum - Purchase British coins, collecting accessories and books on www.predecimal.com

#32 Hello17

Hello17

Member Title

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:41 AM

Wow, the catalogues must be a bit high , my collection would be worth £580 if it sold for catalogue price

#33 declanwmagee

declanwmagee

Just a coinie...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

Oh Patrick, be careful with all that!

Show us a clear picture of your best coin, and the catalogue value you think it has...

#34 ski

ski

Important part of the furniture

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Interests:sixpences, florins and double florins.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Get your parents to take you to a coin fair

and when you return, explain to them that they need to mortgage themeselves up to the hilt so that you can have a bigger house and bigger room :D

seriously....if you enjoy coin collecting.......keep at least your favourites and the higher grade examples.......

youre gonna need more pocket money though as compensation for having to accept a smaller room :D :D :D
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that cant.

#35 Hello17

Hello17

Member Title

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

Oh Patrick, be careful with all that!

Show us a clear picture of your best coin, and the catalogue value you think it has...

i don't know but my ed the 1st is worth over 40, got lot in the 20s , whilst i have gEF or aUNC 1807 penny with a little engraved x and an 1806 in at least EF but is abit dirty , :( why does claning have to be froned at

#36 ski

ski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

why does claning have to be froned at

have you ever played the part of a policeman in "allo allo"...????............... :)

Edited by ski, 02 May 2012 - 05:15 PM.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that cant.

#37 TomGoodheart

TomGoodheart

Happy as a cat full of sixpences

• 3,037 posts
  • Interests:Decent coffee, Italian food, a glass of red wine and my family (though not necessarily in that order!) Crosswords, enjoying my garden and British weather.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

i don't know but my ed the 1st is worth over 40, got lot in the 20s , whilst i have gEF or aUNC 1807 penny with a little engraved x and an 1806 in at least EF but is abit dirty , :( why does claning have to be froned at

POIDH

:P

I have some spare Charles I Tower shillings for sale.  Interested?  PM me!

#38 Paulus

Paulus

Forum God

• 1,933 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

have you ever played the part of a policeman in "allo allo"...????............... :)

RATFLU!! :D

#39 Hello17

Hello17

Member Title

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

POIDH

Pidh?
i mean't cleaning

#40 Peckris

Peckris

Former God (now redundant)

• 8,686 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

POIDH

Pidh?
i mean't cleaning

You'll be too young to remember "Allo Allo". It was set in wartime France but featured the French, the Germans, and the English. As everyone spoke English (it was a British sitcom) they had to convey everything via accent. So the Brits spoke "Jolly good wheeze, top hole!", the French with French accents and the Germans with German accents. The stroke of genius was when a British undercover agent was introduced who played a gendarme but whose French was very bad. How to get round that one? Stroke of genius! They got him to play the part in English with a French accent, but to set him apart from the "true" French all his vowel sounds were wrong. So every episode he would come in and say "Good moaning". Hence the big giggle at your "froning" :D

On a serious note, PLEASE don't take too much notice of Spink catalogue values. They're really just a guide. If you go to a coin fair you would get a more realistic idea of real values of coins. You would also be surprised at what you could pick up cheap from dealers loose trays, e.g. the £1 tray, or £5 tray, or whatever. And also remember that whatever you see a coin SOLD for, a dealer would pay you half that (if it's typical non-rare fairly modern stuff).

#41 TomGoodheart

TomGoodheart

Happy as a cat full of sixpences

• 3,037 posts
  • Interests:Decent coffee, Italian food, a glass of red wine and my family (though not necessarily in that order!) Crosswords, enjoying my garden and British weather.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

POIDH

Pidh?
i mean't cleaning

Pictures Or It Didn't Happen, ie, where are the photos Patrick?!

Never thought I'd have to teach a youngster internet slang! :P

I have some spare Charles I Tower shillings for sale.  Interested?  PM me!

#42 Hello17

Hello17

Member Title

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:07 PM

POIDH

Pidh?
i mean't cleaning

no camera an my phone is bad

#43 Peckris

Peckris

• 8,686 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

POIDH

Pidh?
i mean't cleaning

no camera an my phone is bad

Did you have something to say to us Patrick, or you just quoting in appreciation? :D

#44 ski

ski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

Hence the big giggle at your "froning"

claning as well mr peck :)

#45 Coinery

Coinery

Forum God

• 4,149 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

That just made me laugh out loud in bed, my wife is now thinking I'm losing it! :-)

#46 1949threepence

1949threepence

Forum God

• 2,064 posts
  • Interests:Wine, women and coins

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Don't sell your best pieces. In years to come, you'll have two lots of satisfaction for the unsold coins. The one about the coin's actual history, and the nostalgia of the time you actually obtained it. I've still got some coins assembled at the time I first became interested in coins back in 1990, when I was 12, and before you were even born !!!
Even though they're pretty much worthless compared to the stuff I've bought since, there's no way I'd ever get rid of them.

#47 1949threepence

1949threepence

Forum God

• 2,064 posts
  • Interests:Wine, women and coins

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

POIDH

Pidh?
i mean't cleaning

You'll be too young to remember "Allo Allo". It was set in wartime France but featured the French, the Germans, and the English. As everyone spoke English (it was a British sitcom) they had to convey everything via accent. So the Brits spoke "Jolly good wheeze, top hole!", the French with French accents and the Germans with German accents. The stroke of genius was when a British undercover agent was introduced who played a gendarme but whose French was very bad. How to get round that one? Stroke of genius! They got him to play the part in English with a French accent, but to set him apart from the "true" French all his vowel sounds were wrong. So every episode he would come in and say "Good moaning". Hence the big giggle at your "froning" :D

On a serious note, PLEASE don't take too much notice of Spink catalogue values. They're really just a guide. If you go to a coin fair you would get a more realistic idea of real values of coins. You would also be surprised at what you could pick up cheap from dealers loose trays, e.g. the £1 tray, or £5 tray, or whatever. And also remember that whatever you see a coin SOLD for, a dealer would pay you half that (if it's typical non-rare fairly modern stuff).

"It is I, Le Clerc" ;)

Listen carefully, I shall say this only once.

I totally agree about book prices and selling prices. If you look at book prices, you can take at least 50% off that when you sell to a dealer. Plus the fact they might try and knock you down on grade. They have to make their profits on stock, which might, once bought from you, be sitting on their shelves unshifted, for months, if not years, depending on demand.

#48 Peckris

Peckris

• 8,686 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

"It is I, Le Clerc" ;)

Listen carefully, I shall say this only once.

I totally agree about book prices and selling prices. If you look at book prices, you can take at least 50% off that when you sell to a dealer. Plus the fact they might try and knock you down on grade. They have to make their profits on stock, which might, once bought from you, be sitting on their shelves unshifted, for months, if not years, depending on demand.

Surely "A shall say zees only wuuurnce"? :D

#49 Peter

Peter

Mr R Sleeker

• 5,402 posts
  • Interests:Coins,fishing and British sports cars

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

I'm now reminded of Nicole (Ohh Papa) from the Renault advert....stunning (not Papa)

#50 Hello17

Hello17

Member Title

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

This thread is off-topic prone. :D :o

Going to coin shop to bury my head in scrap pennys <not literally>

#51 Peckris

Peckris

• 8,686 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

I'm now reminded of Nicole (Ohh Papa) from the Renault advert....stunning (not Papa)

Which reminds me of a cartoon I saw when that ad was running...

Scene, a lonely road high in the forested Alps. Two cars have obviously just collided and lie - total flattened write-offs - on either side of the road. All you see is speech bubbles coming from each car : "Papa?" "Nicole?" :lol: