British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hello17

Should i sell my collection

Should i sell?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. shoudd i sell

• yes
    • only coins not needed
    • no

sorry, even though i am a kid its worth over £100 :(

but your post has given me inspiration. B)

maybe i shouldn't sell them and just use the warhammer space as i can do warhammer painting on the dinner table.

Thank you :)

Good thinking. That "it's worth over £100" is something every young collector should be very careful about. The nominal value of a collection (i.e. from Spink) is just that - nominal. Unless it's something a dealer or collector really wants, you'd be lucky to realise even a fraction of that. Sorry if that rains on your parade, but I remember well the painful lessons I had to learn about the "true" value of a loved collection. It will be worth much more to you - in years to come, even if only in memories and sentimental value - than what you'd probably get for it if you sold it now.

maybe i shouldn't sell them and just use the warhammer space as i can do warhammer painting on the dinner table.

Good thinking. That "it's worth over £100" is something every young collector should be very careful about. The nominal value of a collection (i.e. from Spink) is just that - nominal. Unless it's something a dealer or collector really wants, you'd be lucky to realise even a fraction of that. Sorry if that rains on your parade, but I remember well the painful lessons I had to learn about the "true" value of a loved collection. It will be worth much more to you - in years to come, even if only in memories and sentimental value - than what you'd probably get for it if you sold it now.

it's worth over £100

Its worth nearly £200 but i haven't done all my cataloging

The nominal value of a collection (i.e. from Spink) is just that - nominal. Unless it's something a dealer or collector really wants, you'd be lucky to realise even a fraction of that.

That explains you very nice gift which is worth a bit catlogue -wise (and i like it)

Don't be disheartened on value.

The history you will learn can't have a value put on it.

All of a sudden your collection becomes worth a few bob.

I started putting catalogue prices against my collection spread sheets,it was frightening.

The value is important and I mainly buy within set guidelines....but it is only part of the joy of

putting a collection together.

Get your parents to take you to a coin fair and armed with your pocket money,sift through some of the dealers tins and buy what you like the look of.It is all part of the learning process.

When I was about 10 my Grandfather gave me a French 1792 2 sols which is a large chunky coin(about the size of a cartwheel penny)I loved this and over the years have picked up most French denominations between 1750-1850 learning about the revolution,Napoleon etc along the way.

Just enjoy :)

it's worth over £100

The nominal value of a collection (i.e. from Spink) is just that - nominal. Unless it's something a dealer or collector really wants, you'd be lucky to realise even a fraction of that.

That explains you very nice gift which is worth a bit catlogue -wise (and i like it)

And that - at the end of the day - is what counts most. Having an emotional attachment to individual coins "adds value" (I've even been known to upgrade without disposing of the coin it replaced, I liked it too much!).

it's worth over £100

And that - at the end of the day - is what counts most. Having an emotional attachment to individual coins "adds value" (I've even been known to upgrade without disposing of the coin it replaced, I liked it too much!).

i do like the coins you gave me, it was the first (maybe second) time i saw a brass threepence i actually like.

i have coins love , like my 1674 farthing which is very valuale to me

Now have good news and bad news.

Bad news

my 1807 halfpenny is EF and thats quite a coin, but before i had , it has a deep x (engraved i guess) on it

good news

Fasle alarm... Thought i had a minor varieitie, 1882h penny, but thanks to the internet, im not jumping :o

Wow, the catalogues must be a bit high , my collection would be worth £580 if it sold for catalogue price

Oh Patrick, be careful with all that!

Show us a clear picture of your best coin, and the catalogue value you think it has...

Get your parents to take you to a coin fair

and when you return, explain to them that they need to mortgage themeselves up to the hilt so that you can have a bigger house and bigger room :D

seriously....if you enjoy coin collecting.......keep at least your favourites and the higher grade examples.......

youre gonna need more pocket money though as compensation for having to accept a smaller room :D:D:D

Oh Patrick, be careful with all that!

Show us a clear picture of your best coin, and the catalogue value you think it has...

i don't know but my ed the 1st is worth over 40, got lot in the 20s , whilst i have gEF or aUNC 1807 penny with a little engraved x and an 1806 in at least EF but is abit dirty , :( why does claning have to be froned at

why does claning have to be froned at

have you ever played the part of a policeman in "allo allo"...????............... :)

Edited by ski

i don't know but my ed the 1st is worth over 40, got lot in the 20s , whilst i have gEF or aUNC 1807 penny with a little engraved x and an 1806 in at least EF but is abit dirty , :( why does claning have to be froned at

POIDH

:P

have you ever played the part of a policeman in "allo allo"...????............... :)

RATFLU!! :D

POIDH

Pidh?

i mean't cleaning

POIDH

Pidh?

i mean't cleaning

You'll be too young to remember "Allo Allo". It was set in wartime France but featured the French, the Germans, and the English. As everyone spoke English (it was a British sitcom) they had to convey everything via accent. So the Brits spoke "Jolly good wheeze, top hole!", the French with French accents and the Germans with German accents. The stroke of genius was when a British undercover agent was introduced who played a gendarme but whose French was very bad. How to get round that one? Stroke of genius! They got him to play the part in English with a French accent, but to set him apart from the "true" French all his vowel sounds were wrong. So every episode he would come in and say "Good moaning". Hence the big giggle at your "froning" :D

On a serious note, PLEASE don't take too much notice of Spink catalogue values. They're really just a guide. If you go to a coin fair you would get a more realistic idea of real values of coins. You would also be surprised at what you could pick up cheap from dealers loose trays, e.g. the £1 tray, or £5 tray, or whatever. And also remember that whatever you see a coin SOLD for, a dealer would pay you half that (if it's typical non-rare fairly modern stuff).

POIDH

Pidh?

i mean't cleaning

Pictures Or It Didn't Happen, ie, where are the photos Patrick?!

Never thought I'd have to teach a youngster internet slang! :P

POIDH

Pidh?

i mean't cleaning

no camera an my phone is bad

POIDH

Pidh?

i mean't cleaning

no camera an my phone is bad

Did you have something to say to us Patrick, or you just quoting in appreciation? :D

Hence the big giggle at your "froning"

claning as well mr peck :)

That just made me laugh out loud in bed, my wife is now thinking I'm losing it! :-)

Don't sell your best pieces. In years to come, you'll have two lots of satisfaction for the unsold coins. The one about the coin's actual history, and the nostalgia of the time you actually obtained it. I've still got some coins assembled at the time I first became interested in coins back in 1990, when I was 12, and before you were even born !!!

Even though they're pretty much worthless compared to the stuff I've bought since, there's no way I'd ever get rid of them.

POIDH

Pidh?

i mean't cleaning

You'll be too young to remember "Allo Allo". It was set in wartime France but featured the French, the Germans, and the English. As everyone spoke English (it was a British sitcom) they had to convey everything via accent. So the Brits spoke "Jolly good wheeze, top hole!", the French with French accents and the Germans with German accents. The stroke of genius was when a British undercover agent was introduced who played a gendarme but whose French was very bad. How to get round that one? Stroke of genius! They got him to play the part in English with a French accent, but to set him apart from the "true" French all his vowel sounds were wrong. So every episode he would come in and say "Good moaning". Hence the big giggle at your "froning" :D

On a serious note, PLEASE don't take too much notice of Spink catalogue values. They're really just a guide. If you go to a coin fair you would get a more realistic idea of real values of coins. You would also be surprised at what you could pick up cheap from dealers loose trays, e.g. the £1 tray, or £5 tray, or whatever. And also remember that whatever you see a coin SOLD for, a dealer would pay you half that (if it's typical non-rare fairly modern stuff).

"It is I, Le Clerc" ;)

Listen carefully, I shall say this only once.

I totally agree about book prices and selling prices. If you look at book prices, you can take at least 50% off that when you sell to a dealer. Plus the fact they might try and knock you down on grade. They have to make their profits on stock, which might, once bought from you, be sitting on their shelves unshifted, for months, if not years, depending on demand.

"It is I, Le Clerc" ;)

Listen carefully, I shall say this only once.

I totally agree about book prices and selling prices. If you look at book prices, you can take at least 50% off that when you sell to a dealer. Plus the fact they might try and knock you down on grade. They have to make their profits on stock, which might, once bought from you, be sitting on their shelves unshifted, for months, if not years, depending on demand.

Surely "A shall say zees only wuuurnce"? :D

I'm now reminded of Nicole (Ohh Papa) from the Renault advert....stunning (not Papa)

This thread is off-topic prone. :D:o

Going to coin shop to bury my head in scrap pennys <not literally>