British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hello17

Should i sell my collection

Should i sell?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. shoudd i sell

• yes
    • only coins not needed
    • no

i have not seen the intrest on british coins i had, but want to collect US coins because i like them as even new ones can be exciting :)

No keep them all Patrick.

You have a long road ahead of you and you will probably find yourself returning to old hobbies later in life (it's a middle-aged thing that most of us on here have had or are having :D ).

You will only regret it and find yourself trying to buy back examples of your favourite coins.

US coinage can be bought quite cheaply, even older stuff if you look carefully.

If you don't need the money, then I'd say no.

Something might re-interest you later on and if it does, you'll find it more expensive to replace what you had. We've all had/seen coins and regretted not buying them earlier at a cheaper price! I seem to remember you've a few older pieces, not just modern stuff, so you might find in a few years you want to expand one particular aspect of your collection so will have a head start.

And if not .. well you might get a better price later on.

As for US coins .. well, it might be worth rethinking ebay. Yes, it has some risks, but there's a better range of stuff there than most dealers plus you have the international sellers.

And .. I hate to be boring but .. if you're interested in US coins maybe a copy of the 'Red Book'would be useful? About £10 on Amazon or ebay.

i will keep a few but most i do not want very much and need a bit of cash(and space, my bedrooms turning in to model railway.)

i also really want to complete my 50 states quarter collection (thank you RLC)

i will keep a few but most i do not want very much and need a bit of cash(and space, my bedrooms turning in to model railway.)

Send me the few quarters that you need, to finish the book out (5-6 as I recall), and I will see if I can pick them up for you.

Send me the few quarters that you need, to finish the book out (5-6 as I recall), and I will see if I can pick them up for you.

which states do you want? i have a few spares.......

I wouldn't sell unless you really, really needed the cash. You can assemble a quick (non-gold) type set for US coins quite easily and for very little money as long as you aren't too picky about what you consider to be a "type" because some of the early large cent varieties can sell for quite a bit, and quality because with US numismatics worn specimens are quite common of some years but high grade pieces are nearly unheard of. This is especially true of the entire "Barber" set, worn examples sell for bullion, but AU or better coins sell for quite a bit more, even in common years. But a quick type set (half cent, large cent, Flying eagle cent, Indian Head Cent, Wheat cent, Lincoln Cent, Lincoln bicentennial cent, Lincoln Shield set, Two cent piece, three cent nickel, three cent silver, Bust half dime, seated half dime, shield nickel, V nickel, buffalo nickel, Jefferson nickel, westward journey nickel, newer Jefferson nickel, bust dime, seated dime, barber dime, mercury dime, Roosevelt dime, twenty cent piece, bust quarter, seated quarter, barber quarter, Standing Liberty quarter, washington quarter, various state/national park quarters, bust half, seated half, barber half, walking liberty half, Franklin half, Kennedy half, Morgan dollar, Peace dollar, Ike Dollar, Susan B. Anthony Dollar, Sacajawea/Presidential dollars) is going to be cheap relatively speaking. Your biggest expense is going to be Bust coinage in a reasonable grade, the twenty cent piece, and the half cent, the rest sells for bullion/face value with the exception of some of the earlier nickels which sell for a modest sum in mid grades.

The Red Book is essential (~$15), the "Cherry Picker's guide" is useful if you want to collect die varieties (~$40). The Red Book's prices though often don't match dealer's prices, especially with lower-end coins or unpopular coins (Susan B. Anthony Dollars).

eBay might be a good bet if you don't have any local dealers, but look for dealers first, I usually can find cheaper US coins at my local dealers than eBay. Keep an eye out for fakes, don't buy any Seated Liberty Dollars or Trade Dollars off of eBay (or at flea markets) unless they have been slabbed and you have looked up the certification number. Fakes are /everywhere/ for those 2 things. Morgan dollars have been faked too, but since it is such a common coin it is unlikely you will run into one of those, Trade Dollars and Seated Liberty dollars are much rarer.

I am cataloging this week, about halfway past and i found out my collection could worth twice what i thought

EF 1945 Penny £5 :D

EF 1896 Penny £12 :D (this one has almost no wear at all, everything is there. maybe aUnc)

Those made me happy

Anyway... this is the list of ones I don't have

Montana

Utah

Washington

Arizona

Idaho

also time to get a camera

Btw if thinking if getting the US Coin Red Book guide, the new one comes out in April, so you may wish to hang on until then. I collect both US and British coins (no bronze currently, just silver and a little gold), though my collections of both are still very small as I tend more and more towards quality over quantity, which limits my number of purchases! For US coins, most of my collection is pre-1965 (i.e.real silver) but post-Barber, though think some of the modern stuff is okay - I even bought a (40% silver) 1976 Bicentenial set (quarter, half and Ike dollar) recently on eBay - was in great condition and only £4.99 (less than the silver spot price, I think!). I don't think I'll be collecting Susan B. Antony dollars, though...

I Have decided to catalog my collection and keep it but will be showing my catalog.

B) Case Closed...

I have been told by my mother that i have to go into the small bedroom

This means i will have very little space.

Therefore i am thinking of selling my collection.

But i am too young for a Paypal.

Can i have help

- P.S. this is a old topic but i cannot find any rules

Can i have help

Tell your mother that one of the conditions of moving into the small bedroom is that she sets you up with a PayPal account. Then sell your worst coins and buy better ones. Never, ever, sell your best ones.

Is the small bedroom the equivalent of the naughty stair? :P

Couldn't you just throw away an old pair of trainers and keep the collection? The space would be comparable, surely? You should definitely find a way to keep your collection if you'd really like to!

Can i have help

If I were you I would go on strike and not eat your mothers meals she cooks you,don't let her do your washing and refuse pocket money.

That will teach her ;)

I think the size of bedroom is irrelevant. The bedroom is where all the naughty people go. ;)

I think the size of bedroom is irrelevant. The bedroom is where all the naughty people go. ;)

LOL true - the definition of naughty changing as you get past the age of consent :D

i have space for it, just it's minimal and I will be using the area nearby to paint! :huh:

i have space for it, just it's minimal and I will be using the area nearby to paint! :huh:

Young ladies I hope :rolleyes:

People please stay on topic,

Yeh

Punishment for straying is damnation and the task of having to collect and memorise every variety of 1860 1d ;)

I will be using the area nearby to paint!
You are not into Warhammer by any chance are you?! My son is heavily into this - talk about needing space, he's even expanded into the garden shed....coins are definately less messy!! :)

Only you can decide (of course) Hello. But if you're still enthusiastic about coins then it seems a shame to get rid of them all. I'd say pick the nicest and keep those as surely they shouldn't take up much space?

As for the rest, I presume no other family member has an ebay account you could sell through? Alternatively, you mentioned visiting a local coin dealer a while back. Maybe see if you could sell to them. Or list here under 'for sale'

Or of course, there's always car boot sales and the like, but I'd doubt you'd get much as everyone wants a bargain.

But most I'd stick in a box or tray under the bed and keep for later.

Edited by TomGoodheart

My coin collection stopped growing in about 1987, and wasn't picked up again till 2003. During that interval it must have occupied dozens of lofts, shoeboxes in suitcases under beds, even lived in a stack of chinese takeaway tupperware containers as I recall. It managed to survive through marriages coming and going, living out of the back of cars, several bouts of proper homelessness too. But come 2003, when I dusted it off and realised I was still interested, I was so glad I'd managed to hang on to it. Not much of that original collection is left now - it's all been upgraded - but my goodness it gave me a start.

Don't sell it Patrick! You can always find another quid somewhere.

I will be using the area nearby to paint!
You are not into Warhammer by any chance are you?! My son is heavily into this - talk about needing space, he's even expanded into the garden shed....coins are definately less messy!! :)

Yes, but only painting them (which takes up a bit)

Only you can decide (of course) Hello. But if you're still enthusiastic about coins then it seems a shame to get rid of them all. I'd say pick the nicest and keep those as surely they shouldn't take up much space?

As for the rest, I presume no other family member has an ebay account you could sell through? Alternatively, you mentioned visiting a local coin dealer a while back. Maybe see if you could sell to them. Or list here under 'for sale'

Or of course, there's always car boot sales and the like, but I'd doubt you'd get much as everyone wants a bargain.

But most I'd stick in a box or tray under the bed and keep for later.

sorry, even though i am a kid its worth over £100 :(

but your post has given me inspiration. B)

maybe i shouldn't sell them and just use the warhammer space as i can do warhammer painting on the dinner table.

Thank you :)