British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

London Olympics 50ps

Slightly off topic but in coin news the mint said the mintage of 10,000 Kew Garden 50p was a mistake and true mintage was 250,000.

These with the pre 47 6d's at £20 and all these new issues makes me think they have got a marketing snide.

posties been with the latest recycled south american rainforest from the RM.....the rubbish just gets worse.

mind you that 1kg gold coin would weigh your trussers down, theyre only minting 60 a cool £100,000 each.

gonna be checking my change a little more often now... :D:D:D

incidentally, i have a couple of £2 brittanias.....kinda like em, kind relatives have bought em for me as pressies and the like.

so the 2012 £2 brittania is a very nice £57-50 from rm in what they claim is a new style display case, cardboard to you and me. bullion uk have the same coin for £25.....thats a lot of dosh for a cardboard box, and some think slabbing is dear :D

posties been with the latest recycled south american rainforest from the RM.....the rubbish just gets worse.

mind you that 1kg gold coin would weigh your trussers down, theyre only minting 60 a cool £100,000 each.

gonna be checking my change a little more often now... :D:D:D

incidentally, i have a couple of £2 brittanias.....kinda like em, kind relatives have bought em for me as pressies and the like.

so the 2012 £2 brittania is a very nice £57-50 from rm in what they claim is a new style display case, cardboard to you and me. bullion uk have the same coin for £25.....thats a lot of dosh for a cardboard box, and some think slabbing is dear :D

I quite like the Britannias too, especially the "classic" look ones (maybe because they look similar to the design on Edward VII florins...), though wouldn't pay the outrageous prices the Royal Mint asks for! In the USA the US Mint doesn't seem to rip off the public quite so badly with its issues, though maybe the RM tries to justify it with lower mintages?

i think thats the connection for me too.

i love the Edward V11 florins for their reverses. i wonder how much longer spink can carry on having a book with decimal and predecimal coins in it. At the rate the mint is going these days, the QE11 could run into several volumes alone. :)

i love the Edward V11 florins for their reverses. i wonder how much longer spink can carry on having a book with decimal and predecimal coins in it. At the rate the mint is going these days, the QE11 could run into several volumes alone. :)

They're ahead of you. Philip Skingley's foreword to the 2012 Spink says, "It is our intention for the next edition to split the catalogue into two volumes, separating the decimal coining into its own stand-alone volume." He goes on to say that this will allow both sections to expand. Good news for those of us with only a passing interest in decimal currency!

They're ahead of you. Philip Skingley's foreword to the 2012 Spink says, "It is our intention for the next edition to split the catalogue into two volumes, separating the decimal coining into its own stand-alone volume." He goes on to say that this will allow both sections to expand. Good news for those of us with only a passing interest in decimal currency!

But not for those of us whose interests cross the divide.

Just get a copy of Check your Change for the new tat :D

I don't think you'd find gold or even silver Britannias in your change, though :P

I don't think you'd find gold or even silver Britannias in your change, though :P

Exactly... so why collect them? They may strictly be legal tender (nominal £100 face value for gold) but are never used as such. To me they are just medallions.

so why collect them?

because they have been given to me as gifts :D and i like em... :D i doubt the collection i have would constitute a collection. anybody else want to give me an ounce of silver for free :D:D:D

50p olympic collection now sold due to tight wadded jock time waster. :D

Edited by ski

so why collect them?

because they have been given to me as gifts :Dand i like em... :D i doubt the collection i have would constitute a collection. anybody else want to give me an ounce of silver for free :D:D:D

...and there is no better reason.

was in wh smiths yeasterday and the girl behind the check out told me that the sale of the carded 50p coins has been very slow.

im not surprised.....£3 for a 50p piece and a piece of card is a lot to pay, especially considering you can get em for 50p from change :)

A lot of the non collectors at my works, have been keeping those from their change, the good thing is they are now showing an interest in older coins too.

im not surprised.....£3 for a 50p piece and a piece of card is a lot to pay, especially considering you can get em for 50p from change :)

A lot of the non collectors at my works, have been keeping those from their change, the good thing is they are now showing an interest in older coins too.

We have been expecting you Mr Bond..... B) .....Come to think on it that's a very big positive for coin collecting, I'm not a fan of these RM issues but if it encourages new collectors...yeah I'm happy with that!

so why collect them?

because they have been given to me as gifts :D and i like em... :D i doubt the collection i have would constitute a collection. anybody else want to give me an ounce of silver for free :D:D:D

And I'd rather have any number of silver Britannia "medallions" than flimsy poorly-designed RM profiteering 50p's.

We went to the World Money Fair in Berlin last month. At the Royal Mint booth we purchased all 29 coins (BU - including one medal) for 83 Euro. Do not have the chance to grap them out of circulation ;)

well if the royal mint want to do any more sets, always the chelsea manager 50p's :P

royal mint need to make profits? they litteraly make money ffs :P

Back to the 50p's, I noticed that the Mints issued figures for these 50p's varied between 600000 & 1 million so far for each of the 29 issues. I had read that the eventual numbers would be 3 million in each case. No idea if that's true but that would make them uncommon but not especially scarce. I have acquired a few from change but many are duplicates. I certainly won't be buying any presentation packs! I'm also curious to know how many of the WWF 2011 will eventually be issued. 1 million had been released by the end of last year :)

Back to the 50p's, I noticed that the Mints issued figures for these 50p's varied between 600000 & 1 million so far for each of the 29 issues. I had read that the eventual numbers would be 3 million in each case. No idea if that's true but that would make them uncommon but not especially scarce. I have acquired a few from change but many are duplicates. I certainly won't be buying any presentation packs! I'm also curious to know how many of the WWF 2011 will eventually be issued. 1 million had been released by the end of last year :)

Bear in mind that modern proof sets average around 100,000 issued, and you can't give them away!

Bear in mind that modern proof sets average around 100,000 issued, and you can't give them away!

What does "you can't give them away" mean? The modern proof coins are legal tender therefore valid money, isn´t? :blink:

What does "you can't give them away" mean? The modern proof coins are legal tender therefore valid money, isn´t? :blink:

Two nations separated by a towel on sunbed war ;)

It's a figure of speech, not meant to be taken literally. Like irony and sarcasm, it probably doesn't translate well into German. You're right though, you could give them away, of course. You're probably even more confused now!

Edited by Accumulator

What I meant was - modern proof sets are very common, in the sense that there are many more sets available than people who want to collect them. It's a buyers' market. "You can't give them away" is an idiom, meaning "If you have any for sale, it is very unlikely you will get a good price, and nowhere near the issue price or catalogue price."

Yes, proof sets are legal tender, but the coins in them cost many times their face value, so spending them would be VERY unwise!

I do not compete for sunbeds, regardless the counterparts nationality ;):lol:

But I would like to beat Britons in the disciplins

1) regular playing time with German beer

2) extra time with Greek wine

3) penalty shoot-out with...

...no, I do not mean Scotch...

... I have a bottle of Cornish Orchards farmhouse Cider left.

That was a souvenir my girl friend brought from her UK-trip last year ;)

But earnestly... got the point. At least I hope so. The proof coins are legal tender, but no one would use them for payments, nor would any till girl accept such a coin because it looks curious.

That happend to our commemorative 10 € silver coins on regular bases. The only thing you could have done best with them was

1) hoarding them as silver bullion

2) pay them into your bank account

well... realized that I do not have permission to edit my post. So it is not possible to correct mistakes in terms of grammar, spelling or meaning :(

I do not compete for sunbeds, regardless the counterparts nationality ;):lol:

But I would like to beat Britons in the disciplins

1) regular playing time with German beer

2) extra time with Greek wine

3) penalty shoot-out with...

...no, I do not mean Scotch...

... I have a bottle of Cornish Orchards farmhouse Cider left.

My hovercraft is full of eels!