British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I suppose it's not surprising that our mood effects how we feel about things. T'other day I was reviewing a recent purchase and caught myself looking at a few of the coins in my trays and feeling quite pleased about my little collection.

Whereas today I'm at home with a stinking cold and thought I'd do a quick comparison of the collection with a list of coins I recently printed out to make sure I hadn't missed any or listed ones I've sold.

I started wondering if I should just sell half the things. They either weren't very well stuck, or had been clipped or struck on odd shaped flans, or just the toning somehow wasn't particularly pleasing. I thought if I could get back what I paid for them I could start again with higher standards and get a collection in which every coin gave me a pleasant glow.

Of course, that's pretty impractical. Some of the coins I paid rather over the odds for in my enthusiasm and naivete. Others I have little choice as they are so rare another example is unlikely to come up for sale. And of course, prices have risen and so even if I got my money back the liklihood I could buy a better coin now is rather hopeful!

Tomorrow I dare say I shall feel better. It's no doubt the cold that's given me the critical perspective.

But if anyone wants 16 Charles I shillings, just let me know! Low milage, one careful owner! Shall we start offers at a couple of grand? :P

I suppose it's not surprising that our mood effects how we feel about things. T'other day I was reviewing a recent purchase and caught myself looking at a few of the coins in my trays and feeling quite pleased about my little collection.

Whereas today I'm at home with a stinking cold and thought I'd do a quick comparison of the collection with a list of coins I recently printed out to make sure I hadn't missed any or listed ones I've sold.

I started wondering if I should just sell half the things. They either weren't very well stuck, or had been clipped or struck on odd shaped flans, or just the toning somehow wasn't particularly pleasing. I thought if I could get back what I paid for them I could start again with higher standards and get a collection in which every coin gave me a pleasant glow.

Of course, that's pretty impractical. Some of the coins I paid rather over the odds for in my enthusiasm and naivete. Others I have little choice as they are so rare another example is unlikely to come up for sale. And of course, prices have risen and so even if I got my money back the liklihood I could buy a better coin now is rather hopeful!

Tomorrow I dare say I shall feel better. It's no doubt the cold that's given me the critical perspective.

But if anyone wants 16 Charles I shillings, just let me know! Low milage, one careful owner! Shall we start offers at a couple of grand? :P

If the 16 include the D1/2, a decent Sceptre and the AVSSPCE, count me in for £2K. The first is particularly unattractive.

Edited by Rob

The first is particularly unattractive.

I know! And there are dozens of the things now, so not even rare! ..Oh, wait, or was that the G3/2s? :P

Speaking of moods, am feeling frustrated....................:blink: and no John, not in that way :P

Speaking of moods, am feeling frustrated....................:blink: and no John, not in that way :P

Waiting for a coin to arrive Dave?

I'm still waiting for mine to be posted! :angry:

Hard work and stress!!!....The joys of a hammered coin collector!

I know what you are saying here, I too have felt the same way with a number of coin purchases. I think its all part of the growing expectations of the 'next stage'....coins that perhaps were nice a few years back now look crap next to the latest up-grade.

What the best...a couple of top quality coins or a collection of lesser grades!?...suppose the best way is to enjoy what you have in your collection, cos there will always be many others who would see a collection in a different way!