British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

thehappypixi

Help with value double eagles

Oh what an offer - and on Valentines! The post is already taken, plus baggage of two young boys and 4 dogs is more than most men would take on; even for rare gold coins!

It is easy to tell if the coin is real (U.S.)Gold or not...just dip it in muratic acid! If it is a authentic U.S. Gold coin, nothing will happen to the coin. If it is not, it will change color, and begin to be acted upon by the acid.

If this $20 gold coin was obtained in 1948, its gold value would be $28.80 worth of gold (90% pure, 24 carat gold). The U.S. set gold value at $32.00 per ounce at that time. It was also against the law, at that time to own U.S. gold coins, in the United States.

Oh what an offer - and on Valentines! The post is already taken, plus baggage of two young boys and 4 dogs is more than most men would take on; even for rare gold coins!

We've got 2 daughters and an English Springer (& a domestic cat/mountain lion cross).You would be suprised what men will do to get rare gold coins. :ph34r:

Hahaha! I guess a springer is worth at least 3 normal dogs ROFL! And your kitty sounds adorable?!! We have a three legged special needs cat, bites your nose if you're not careful!

BTW this page on the PCGS international site lists all the UK-based dealers who can submit coins to PCGS:

http://www.pcgs.com/Dealers/default.aspx?rn=5&mn=5&cc=UK

Also the next round of submissions to PCGS Paris is for grading/slabbing is apparently 12-16 March 2012

Hope this helps!

BTW this page on the PCGS international site lists all the UK-based dealers who can submit coins to PCGS:

http://www.pcgs.com/Dealers/default.aspx?rn=5&mn=5&cc=UK

Also the next round of submissions to PCGS Paris is for grading/slabbing is apparently 12-16 March 2012

Hope this helps!

Typical....4 London dealers :angry:

I took some better pics today, will post later. Weighed them on kitchen scales and got 33g - doesn't go to decimal place so will have to take them somewhere I guess :/

Here's some more detailed pics, think I've concluded they are not real now from comparing them to photos online, I can notice differences! Was fun looking into it though :)

DSC09749.jpg

They look more convincing now. What is on the edge (rim) of the 1921 coin?

Really? I wasn't sure the feathers on the eagle looked correct on its neck? Wish I could see one in the flesh to compare. They are back tucked up in the safe at my grans so I can't tell you I'm afraid! Lol! I remember seeing some kind of writing?

Gold is a tricky metal to photograph, and different angles will make different points of the coin appear a different color and differences in detail. Honestly, these coin are prime candidates to get graded. Yes, if they do turn out to be fakes it would be disappointing, but when you potentially have a coin worth several thousand dollars it isn't worth the gamble not to have them insured and valued by a professional. It is best to have them slabbed by an American third party grader because even if you don't want to sell them, it is a lot easier to have them insured if you say that you have a 1921 double eagle graded AU 58 by NGC/PCGS with certification number XXXXXXXXXX than it is to say that you just have a 1921 double eagle.

Thanks :D I would doubt my Gran would be up for posting them though :/ It's tricky to think how/where I could go.

I will be doing a couple of free valuation days at PFK auctioneers in Penrith in the next few weeks.

I will email you the dates if you want to travel over and I will have a look.

As for insurance you can forget it. They need to be in a safety deposit box at the bank if your gran wants to keep them. Any UK insurance company will not touch you for small portable items worth tens of thousands unless you take out a speciallist policy.

Yeah that could be a possibility, I'm in Newcastle, will depend when and on kids, husband etc. if I can get there :)

You could try Corbitts in the Toon, but do not sell them to or via them.

OK! The idea of taking them anywhere makes me a bit paranoid - just incase they are worth a lot :/ Think I'd look well shifty trying not to look paranoid!!

OK! The idea of taking them anywhere makes me a bit paranoid - just incase they are worth a lot :/ Think I'd look well shifty trying not to look paranoid!!

You should probably wrap them in a Sunderland top if you are going to carry them through Newcastle, that way you can be certain that if you get mugged the coins will not be taken from you :D

If you fancy a trip over to Penrith I'm working Thursday and Friday of this week at the saleroom (just found out from the local paper that I am doing valuations!!).

Other than that you are welcome to come to my home and I will take a look if there is nobody closer to you that can help.

Thanks very much :) I will see what I can organise, might need an armed guard to accompany me lol!

If I had a sunderland top, it would perhaps deter, but more likely enrage a geordie thief!

Thanks very much :) I will see what I can organise, might need an armed guard to accompany me lol!

If I had a sunderland top, it would perhaps deter, but more likely enrage a geordie thief!

If authenticated by John (The Geordie) i'd ask grandma to allow you to get them slabbed. It will protect from more handling and also help any future sale of the coins.

They look more convincing now. What is on the edge (rim) of the 1921 coin?

I'm inclined to agree, look like pretty nice specimens too...

I'm sorry to say my opinion based on the images would be a fake.

Here is a genuine one graded MS66 by PCGS:

16342338_2200.jpg

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/CoinDetail.aspx?s=9172&redir=t

There are a couple of differences. As you say the breast feathers just don't look right, they look too flat and almost engraved. The details are almost too good. The feet on liberty are too well defined. These points wouldn't rule it out, however the biggest give-aways for me are The ray that points too the olive branch isn't close enough on yours. On the picture of a genuine one is almost touching. Also there are too many windows/the windows are too high on the U.S. Capitol building on yours.