British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

TomGoodheart

Priced out of the market ..

Apparently there's some economic crisis thing going on. Not that I've been affected, apart from the threat of redundancy and the soaring price of lettuce .. but I'm not exactly falling over money to spend on coins.

That of course hasn't stopped me from still looking at all the usual sites and dealers lists. But I've noticed that surprisingly, the few decent coins that have popped up lately have all been snapped up within hours, despite being, in my view, ridiculously overpriced. (£700 for a Charles shilling Spink 2012 lists at £350 in VF?)

Now maybe there's a new (wealthy) kid in town. But if so, they clearly know their way around the dealers, some of whom are not terribly well known. So I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed good quality stock in their area of interest whizzing off the (cyber)shelves?

I'm starting to fear that if and when something I want finally does turns up I'm not going to be able to afford it. :(

Apparently there's some economic crisis thing going on. Not that I've been affected, apart from the threat of redundancy and the soaring price of lettuce .. but I'm not exactly falling over money to spend on coins.

That of course hasn't stopped me from still looking at all the usual sites and dealers lists. But I've noticed that surprisingly, the few decent coins that have popped up lately have all been snapped up within hours, despite being, in my view, ridiculously overpriced. (£700 for a Charles shilling Spink 2012 lists at £350 in VF?)

Now maybe there's a new (wealthy) kid in town. But if so, they clearly know their way around the dealers, some of whom are not terribly well known. So I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed good quality stock in their area of interest whizzing off the (cyber)shelves?

I'm starting to fear that if and when something I want finally does turns up I'm not going to be able to afford it. :(

Just bought a great coin (Charles shilling ) bit more expensive that Spinks recommends but thats life... :)

I was mulling over that one too, but as I have one decided not to. Did get the Briot hammered halfcrown though with the excellent provenance. :)

Just bought a great coin (Charles shilling ) bit more expensive that Spinks recommends but thats life... :)

POIDH :D

(Photo please!)

I was mulling over that one too, but as I have one decided not to. Did get the Briot hammered halfcrown though with the excellent provenance. :)

I think those seem only recently recognised as seriously scarce, so any example is a good investment. A decent provenance is always an attractive addition. The provenance of the shilling was nice too, but even if I had the money I just don't know if I could justify quite that much given I too have an acceptable example ...

I think those seem only recently recognised as seriously scarce, so any example is a good investment. A decent provenance is always an attractive addition. The provenance of the shilling was nice too, but even if I had the money I just don't know if I could justify quite that much given I too have an acceptable example ...

Although the Briot is roughly 15-20% over Spink prices, it is the same price as the one on the CNG site for $2450 which also has an excellent provenance (Cumberland Clark, H L Farquhar, Dupree, GS Hopkins and Pritchard), but is nowhere near as nice. The latter was in Lockdales about 18 months ago with a description of unlisted type in Spink and an estimate of £30-50. I bid £720, but it went to CNG for £800 or 820, can't remember which, so at least three people were awake. That one is worth £1K, not £1500, but the Morrieson, Lockett and Asherson one is a much better coin. I suspect it is also Murdoch 135, but can't prove it because it was bought by Spink and no provenance is given in the Morrieson catalogue. I wanted it for an example of the triangle over anchor mark to get away from shillings of which I have half a dozen. The design variation was also attractive.

The mules are definitely commoner.

Edited by Rob

I can second all that's said here.

This mentioned shilling was the very same coin sold at auction in 1991 as a part lot with another shilling for a hammer price of £95 for the two, given the description with the lot I would say maybe £70 for this coin. So twenty years later add a zero!!!!.....Wow now that is something to think on, also will this continue or will a coin like this still cost £700 in another twenty years! this is the sort of thing that concerns me, I love the idea of collecting and buying if need be an expensive coin but then I also like to think I may also get a decent return if need be.

Tom your fears mentioned have already happened to me! so it's a tight purse for me now unless my luck changes :(

POIDH :D

(Photo please!)

Rumbled :ph34r:

Although the Briot is roughly 15-20% over Spink prices, it is the same price as the one on the CNG site for $2450 which also has an excellent provenance (Cumberland Clark, H L Farquhar, Dupree, GS Hopkins and Pritchard), but is nowhere near as nice. The latter was in Lockdales about 18 months ago with a description of unlisted type in Spink and an estimate of £30-50. I bid £720, but it went to CNG for £800 or 820, can't remember which, so at least three people were awake. That one is worth £1K, not £1500, but the Morrieson, Lockett and Asherson one is a much better coin. I suspect it is also Murdoch 135, but can't prove it because it was bought by Spink and no provenance is given in the Morrieson catalogue. I wanted it for an example of the triangle over anchor mark to get away from shillings of which I have half a dozen. The design variation was also attractive.

The mules are definitely commoner.

I visited Barry Prichard just after his halfcrown sale and had a choice of this Briot or a 1a3 (went for the latter) I had an interest in the Briot purely because I almost purchased it a couple of years earlier for £1,200 from Baldwin. I too noticed the mess-up Lockdales made on it's listing, I put in a cheeky £600 and hoped no one else would notice...but alas!! I have to say I think the 'book' price for these coins are somewhat low in comparison, infact I think the price was lowered a few years back, maybe because of the bargain Adams sale! Not interested in any Briots now!

I visited Barry Prichard just after his halfcrown sale and had a choice of this Briot or a 1a3 (went for the latter) I had an interest in the Briot purely because I almost purchased it a couple of years earlier for £1,200 from Baldwin. I too noticed the mess-up Lockdales made on it's listing, I put in a cheeky £600 and hoped no one else would notice...but alas!! I have to say I think the 'book' price for these coins are somewhat low in comparison, infact I think the price was lowered a few years back, maybe because of the bargain Adams sale! Not interested in any Briots now!

LOL I saw the Lockdales entry and estimate too! But I was mean and only went up to £250. If I'd got it, I would have sold it on almost immediately!

LOL I saw the Lockdales entry and estimate too! But I was mean and only went up to £250. If I'd got it, I would have sold it on almost immediately!

you wheeler dealer you!! :D

Lockdales aren't the only "monkey" dealers.I bought an R/E 1856 farthing (you can't get clearer than that) for peanuts it was described 1856 1/4d :)This was from a major dealer.

I'm not sticking up for Lockdales but fine art auction houses often put few low estimates in to attract the punters.

Lockdales aren't the only "monkey" dealers.I bought an R/E 1856 farthing (you can't get clearer than that) for peanuts it was described 1856 1/4d :)This was from a major dealer.

I'm not sticking up for Lockdales but fine art auction houses often put few low estimates in to attract the punters.

I'm sure they do, but I would not like to be the onwer who's item they might be gambling on! Or do they only gamble sell their own items for sale!?

I'm sure they do, but I would not like to be the onwer who's item they might be gambling on! Or do they only gamble sell their own items for sale!?

An estimate means nothing. No coin sells at auction on estimate alone.

An estimate means nothing. No coin sells at auction on estimate alone.

I bet the owner of this Briot halfcrown was pleased it did not sell for the estimate of £50!

They offer to buy as well as auction coins.

I have bought several coins from them.

only problems i have is the damned silver price.

The silver price doesn't come into this one. Half an ounce of silver for a halfcrown is only a tenner or so melt which pales into insignificance when the coin sells for hundreds. Anyway, you happily paid about 50x melt for your short or long cross penny (whichever it was), so you can hardly complain about the Ag price causing a problem because that too was way over melt.

yes i know, but when you want just an example of a coin, i mean we getting very nice george V half crowns falling into BV.

yes i know, but when you want just an example of a coin, i mean we getting very nice george V half crowns falling into BV.

Depends how you define "very nice" - if you mean EF or better (and few Geo V dates are worth collecting any lower) then none of them fall into BV.