British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

PunkReaper

Are you a Man (or Woman) with a Plan

Ok the last thread was prematurely completed by Katie my miniature Schnauzer. :angry: Didn't want me on the computer when its time for her walk.

So as I was saying, when I started collecting I was a Man with a Plan. I got the Spinks catalogue and started collecting back trying to get one of each catalogue number excluding gold. I did this until the coins were becoming harder to find and more expensive, then I lost my focus and bought a few hammered and Roman coins, and then lost it a bit more and bought a few pretty shiny things. So now I'm deciding what i want to do next. Although many just collect what they feel like my personality is more geared to collecting sets. I know a bit OCD. I have seen some lovely collections of Pennies and farthings etc...

I was wondering, generally speaking whether you are more prone to collect with a Plan in mind or whether you just "go with the flow"?

Ok the last thread was prematurely completed by Katie my miniature Schnauzer. :angry: Didn't want me on the computer when its time for her walk.

So as I was saying, when I started collecting I was a Man with a Plan. I got the Spinks catalogue and started collecting back trying to get one of each catalogue number excluding gold. I did this until the coins were becoming harder to find and more expensive, then I lost my focus and bought a few hammered and Roman coins, and then lost it a bit more and bought a few pretty shiny things. So now I'm deciding what i want to do next. Although many just collect what they feel like my personality is more geared to collecting sets. I know a bit OCD. I have seen some lovely collections of Pennies and farthings etc...

I was wondering, generally speaking whether you are more prone to collect with a Plan in mind or whether you just "go with the flow"?

It really depends on what you find of interest, and when you do eventually find that interest it will then be down to the next stage of whether you can afford to pursue what you want, and the most important bit it being worthwhile, you dont want to get bored a few years down the line and end up selling a collection for a just a part it's outlay! So be focused I'd say!

As to "Are you a man" well I was the last time I looked (though my wife may differ!) and "with a plan" well I like to think so :P

My "plan" - if you can call it that - was originally to get one of each year and major variety for pennies (back to 1895), then halfcrowns (back to 1911). This done, and a good few brass 3ds and farthings and sixpences later, plus a few shillings, florins and halfpennies, and early milled, I looked around and decided to be a milled type collector instead. This is a harder project!

When it all boils down, we collect what we like, when we can afford, when opportunities arise, perhaps in fits and spurts. We're all different and long may it remain so!

As you may have gathered my focus is purely farthings, but a denomination really does give you a lot more freedom to collect than you may think. I can't say I have not looked at other denominations when I have momentarily lost focus, but I always regain focus and really do enjoy collecting them.

During times when my finances have been stretched I can delve into overseas farthings, and other farthing type coins that are low budget, but still keep me fascinated and when the going is good I can look at other areas. Hammered coins never used to do it for me, but I now find myself looking at them completely differently, so have started to study this area. I could have never dreamed of owning earlier proofs when I started, but again I have found I can study the series from literature, and when I am in a position to start collecting them I am at least prepared. The hammered tokens of James I and Charles I are a completely unique series, and are easy on the budget but open up such a wide area of study.

I chose farthings by fluke when I bought a coin from Colin Cooke, and it was the best flukey decision I ever made in relation to this hobby :D

I have a plan but it has evolved, and I think that is important, because at least it keeps the attraction fresh......but if I ever did choose another denomination, I think it would have to be halfpennies, silver milled just does not appeal to me for some bizarre reason....and my pockets are not deep enough for gold ;)

I've ended up with farthings myself there are 1 or 2 which are out of my range or simply not available.I stll need a few accepted and unaccepted varieties.I sold a bit of my gold and a lot of silver and now don't bother with silver date runs just good quality examples.The same with my 1/2d's and 1d's.

I need to relook at the hammered section and shift a few which don't cut the mustard.I have foreign with some nice examples but these need thinning out.I've got a big plastic container which so far is packed with about 2,000 coins to sell.

Like Colin I've started picking up a few hammered farthings but they do get a bit expensive with a few monarchs for such a tiny coin and try to ID all the classes for Edward 1.

(or woman)
:)

the only real plan i made was to collect as many civil war coins as possible including siege pieces. it has taken 48 years and a lot of money but i have acheived my goal and have an example of every commonwealth and cromwell coin as well as siege pieces from scarborough, newark, pontefract and carlisle. the charles I pieces were far easier to find but i have managed to get an example of nearly all of them, i am still collecting them to complete the royalist issues and when i have all of them then i will most probably stop collecting all together.

I can't say my collection has much of a theme to it. If I find a coin I like for a price I can afford (or a coin that is obviously underpriced) I'll buy it. Some of my favorite coins have been coins I've bought on a whim like my 1821 Farthing. There are a few "key" coins that I want to acquire including a Gothic Crown and a high grade Gothic Florin, but at the moment they are a bit out of my price range.

the only real plan i made was to collect as many civil war coins as possible including siege pieces. it has taken 48 years and a lot of money but i have acheived my goal and have an example of every commonwealth and cromwell coin as well as siege pieces from scarborough, newark, pontefract and carlisle. the charles I pieces were far easier to find but i have managed to get an example of nearly all of them, i am still collecting them to complete the royalist issues and when i have all of them then i will most probably stop collecting all together.

Excellent, in that case please can you contribute to my request for pictures of Charles I coins associated with the Carey commission? It is in the same section of the forum, a few threads away from this one and gives a list of what I need. Thanks.

My collecting plan has evolved over the last 30 years or so. While I previously collected US coin series up to about 1964 to a limited extent, it was British pre-decimal bronze pennies (1860-1970) by date that really captured my attention. After collecting circulated coins by date, I started going for Freeman die varieties and worked on upgrading to EF-Unc where possible. As this became increasingly difficult, I turned to the corresponding Commonwealth coinages (Australian, South African, New Zealand, Irish, Jersey, etc.). Of these only the Australian pennies display the complexity of the British, with a substantial number of different die pairings. I've also been working on British (and Australian) halfpennies by variety the last few years and to a lessor extent on the British farthings. My most recent affliction has been to add British West Africa to the mix (including 1/10 d’s). In other words, a complex and bottomless pit, with a theme…

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

I might be interested in any nice shillings when you do! :P

My 'plan' was to collect all major obv/ rev design changes of shillings starting witht the first issues for each reign. But trying to find a cheap VF testoon, some of the nicer James II or W&M examples, plus a Dorien Magens made me realise my pockets weren't deep enough for a comprehensive collection. Gradually I lost interest in modern coins (post 1750 for me) and switched entirely to Tower mint issues of Charles I. I'm considering adding Scottish Chas coins at present. There aren't very many varieties and it makes a change but it all depends on budget really.

So now it's sadly, less a man with a plan as man within a budget! And occasionally a whim too.

Oh, and I've deleted your duplicate thread as requested PR

Edited by TomGoodheart

Have you a website? Would love to see some photos of your coins.

I might be interested in any nice shillings when you do! :P

My 'plan' was to collect all major obv/ rev design changes of shillings starting witht the first issues for each reign. But trying to find a cheap VF testoon, some of the nicer James II or W&M examples, plus a Dorien Magens made me realise my pockets weren't deep enough for a comprehensive collection. Gradually I lost interest in modern coins (post 1750 for me) and switched entirely to Tower mint issues of Charles I. I'm considering adding Scottish Chas coins at present. There aren't very many varieties and it makes a change but it all depends on budget really.

So now it's sadly, less a man with a plan as man within a budget! And occasionally a whim too.

Oh, and I've deleted your duplicate thread as requested PR

Thanks for deleting the duplicate thread, I'll let the dog out of the corner now.

I suppose most themed collections run up against the money barrier one way or another. There are so many lovely coins and a limited budget. I have always felt a bit depressed reading Coin News and seeing beautiful coins way above my financial limit but then again I haven't got the Ferrari yet either.

My collecting plan has evolved over the last 30 years or so. While I previously collected US coin series up to about 1964 to a limited extent, it was British pre-decimal bronze pennies (1860-1970) by date that really captured my attention. After collecting circulated coins by date, I started going for Freeman die varieties and worked on upgrading to EF-Unc where possible. As this became increasingly difficult, I turned to the corresponding Commonwealth coinages (Australian, South African, New Zealand, Irish, Jersey, etc.). Of these only the Australian pennies display the complexity of the British, with a substantial number of different die pairings.

Snap! mine is a very similar journey, but I've broadened to other penny sized bronze, French 10 centimes 1852-1921 is is my current project with some very low mintages plus unrecorded varieties.

smile.gif

David

I find it very interesting that you also collect the penny sized bronze French 10 centimes (1852-1921). It is my understanding is that the composition of the British bronze coinage beginning in 1860 (a devilishly hard alloy of 95% copper, 4% tin and 1% zinc which was the cause of so many problems with early dies) was simply copied from the French. The "French Bronze" alloy as specified by the law of 6 May 1852 as 95% copper, 4% tin and 1% zinc, itself was apparently not due to any metallurgical studies, but evolved from the incorporation of melted church bells (which had a very high tin content) seized after the French revolution, mixed with copper.

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

I find it very interesting that you also collect the penny sized bronze French 10 centimes (1852-1921). It is my understanding is that the composition of the British bronze coinage beginning in 1860 (a devilishly hard alloy of 95% copper, 4% tin and 1% zinc which was the cause of so many problems with early dies) was simply copied from the French. The "French Bronze" alloy as specified by the law of 6 May 1852 as 95% copper, 4% tin and 1% zinc, itself was apparently not due to any metallurgical studies, but evolved from the incorporation of melted church bells (which had a very high tin content) seized after the French revolution, mixed with copper.

Yes superbly produced coins, slightly smaller than a penny - 30mm 10.0g

None of the production woes of cracked dies and re-entries that plagued the early British bronze - Heaton & Sons were a major influence with the French, managing the Marseilles mint and later re-equipping Paris.

But then if the Royal Mint had awarded the 1860 contracts to Heaton rather Watt, maybe we wouldn't now have had all those interesting Freeman/Satin varieties

smile.gif

David

Edited by davidrj