British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

PunkReaper

How much do you spend on coins

Perhaps what the original poster really meant to ask was

Do you think coin collecting can become too addictive and do any of you feel in danger of spending a higher proportion of your income on coins than you feel you should? :huh:

I think everyone has ummed and arred on whether to buy a coin or not.

Should I,shouldn't I?

It is the guilt.However,if I ask Mrs Peter the chances are she will say "no problem"

I would never put strain on finances and if push every came to shove I would sell.

I want a selection of 10/11C coins.I could go and buy the lot tomorrow but that to me isn't collecting.

I like the hunt to know exactly what I'm buying and getting the best for less if that makes sense. :)

A bit harsh on the original poster I know but discussing one's income and expenditure on a public forum is probably not the wisest idea for all sorts of reasons. Please don't take it personally though.

A bit harsh on the original poster I know but discussing one's income and expenditure on a public forum is probably not the wisest idea for all sorts of reasons. Please don't take it personally though.

I had tried to word the question carefully so that the answer would be a percentage of your monthly income to see how ..... doesn't matter...

I've got good memories of Southport (the Prince of Wales Hotel)where a Company I was working for at the time sent their staff on courses.

There was also some dodgy pick up joints (The Scarisbrick?) :)

Yes, I remember the Scarisbrick in the early 1960's - is it still the same?

Yes it's still there. Not sure whether it has changed much since being a local I don't go there much but I'll be walking past it today. I love Southport for its seaside feel. Much nicer shopping there than in Liverpool, but obviously Liverpool has more shops, and the new Liverpool One is great. Just need a coin dealer in Southport for me to browse in.

is david regans shop still open? i used to get some really good coins from him a couple of years ago......

Went to see David Regan today and spent quite a while chatting with him. He's a lovely guy, very friendly and welcoming. He had some nice coins and antiquities. I can see I'll be a regular visitor there.

Here is a question I am nosey enough to want to know. I know that one mans £1000 is another mans 10p so what the question is:

What percentage of your monthly income have or would you spend on a coin?

I reckon you will find it difficult to get a meaningful answer to that one. We are all a bit cagey about what we spend on our hobby and even more circumspect about how much we earn. If it helps my usual spend is about £50-100. Though I did once spend a year's salary on a coin but which year? I was on £4 a week when I started work. That would be in about 1573 and I was paid in groats.

my reply wasnt in any way unfriendly, just my observation that this question has been asked sooo many times before...like slabs.

i do wonder if people do actually spend the same amount every month or the same percentage every month. my buying has changed over the years, i used to buy regularly, mostly sixpences, now i collect florins d/florins and crowns just buying the best piece i can when ive saved funds....at the end of the day though.....does it really matter?

:D:D:D friendly :D:D:D

I know that one mans £1000 is another mans 10p so what the question is:

ive spent more than a months income, ive also taken a 10p out of change......more relevant for me, and the point i made in such an apparantly unfriendly way earlier, is this......show me the £1000 coin, i could learn soo much from a coin i may never have in my possesion, tell me what it was that made you pull that 10p.....far more interesting.

:):):)