British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris Perkins

Latest ammended pages.

Feast your mince pies on pages 1-27:

http://www.rotographic.co.uk/1-27.pdf

I have corrected the mistakes previously mentioned and made a few selected additions/omisions.

I've added a couple of pages, and the biggest addition was the Freeman numbers for all the bronze coins (except fractional farthings because they're not in Freeman). Thanks to DAS for lending me the Freeman catalogue.

So apart from adding the odd picture and perhaps minimal revising, that's the copper/bronze section done and dusted.

As ever, let me know your thoughts, and delete the older version which is now completely superceeded.

Still looking good... can't wait till we get to page 30 or so then the denominations that interest me really start... Sixpences-Crowns. I'm looking forward to the pics of the Gothic stuff!

Page 2: "For use in Ceylon originally" would sound better as "Originally for use in Ceylon" in my opinion.

Page 5: "1858 (noted 1998) 'BU Full Lustre, exceptIonal'"

Page 7: Near the bottom it says "From 1897 to 1917 all farthings...." then on page 8 at the start it says "All chemically darkened to avoid confusion with half sovereigns". Surely this only needs to be said once?

Page 9: 1945 mintage figure has a space in between 7 and 36 (to make 23,7 36,000)

Page 10: 1841 Halfpenny with alignment variety. Could the up and down arrows be the same instead of an actual arrow (^) and a V? Also, there is no space between "shield" and "£2" for the 1851 halfpenny but I don't thing this can be avoided.

Pages 11: Could both 1858 "last x over x" be capitalised, as the rest are?

Page 12: The footnote about the 1883 variety says "Queens" instead of "Queen's".

Page 14: According to my maths coursework, "Guesstimate" is spelt "Guestimate" but I spell it the former ;)

Page 15: Could the values for 1953-8 be aligned so they are in a column, not as they are now? Also, the 1967 says 'BU' with both apostrophes facing the same way, instead of both facing in (nice bit about predecimal btw!).

Page 22: Part about the 1933 pattern says "i'd" instead of "I'd". Aha, you have also spelt Guestimate here differently to the other, this time the way my coursework says it! Also, the 1944 says "not darkened" when it should be capitalised. And in the bottom-right text box, what is a "sightling"? ;)

Page 23: Caption for George VI penny finishes with two full-stops (unless this is meant to lead onto the next picutre, then I would plump for three). Guesstimate spelt differently for 1954 as well. About the Three halfpence, you say they bear the name "Britanniar". I don't know whether this is a typo or whether they actually do.

Page 25: The paragraph about the "Late George III, all George IV etc." has "Threepence" capitalised in the second line when it isn't further on. And you've recapitalised it in the William IV part below that. Ceremony in "Maundy ceromony" wrong.

Phew I'm all worn out now! Good work, Chris! :D

About the Three halfpence, you say they bear the name "Britanniar". I don't know whether this is a typo or whether they actually do.

Yes Britanniar is correct.

I'm sure pennies and Halfpennies say it too?

and farthings if it comes to that!

Still doing good then i see ;)

Page 2: 'Issued for use colonially' - would it be better to say 'issued for colonial use'?

Very good Chris!! On page 7, haven't you used that prooflike 1895 farting yu have for sale. I really want that coin!!!!

Very good Chris!! On page 7, haven't you used that prooflike 1895 farting yu have for sale. I really want that coin!!!!

I'm afraid it's sold now William, I sold it yesterday.

Thanks for the comments so far, I'll make ammendments to the master today.

Here's my fractional farthing's worth. Page numbers regard the title page as p.1

p.2 - You don't need a comma after "reason" unless you have one before "for" i.e. so, for that reason, ... What reads even better is if you leave out "so" and start the next sentence For that reason, all...

p.2 - Young head in the text, young head in the caption. Upper case Y or not?

p. 2 - fn. Peck numbers or nos. looks better than Numbers

p.3 - trident or the trident?

p.3 - On this page the captions have a capital F for farthing, whereas on p.2 they're lower case

p.5 - Two-pronged (with a hyphen) is clearer

p.5 also illustrates an inconsistency between single and double quotes (and in some cases there are no quotes) e.g. large '42', "F/GF", 1 for 1

p.7 - "broken 'F' needs the double quotes closed

p.13 - Caption in box - The 1897... - needs full stop at end

p.15 - The wide/narrow rim caption talks about the I in DEI, but illustrates the I in eLIZabeth

p.17 - Top caption lacks punctuation

p.18 - Higher grade, not higher drade (1860/61 reverse types)

p.19 - 1861 penny - signature on - where?

p.23 - They are included here because, like the fractional farthings, they... is the correct punctuation here. "Brittaniar" is an abbreviation (?), not a name. To call it such is confusing and makes it look like a spelling mistake

p.24 Cartwheel tuppence - The largest ever circulating British coin - or, The largest British coin ever circulated - is better English here

p.25 - Substitute "circulating" for "circulated" here as well

p.25 - Capital M for Maundy and preferably a hyphen as well - non-Maundy

Thanks Geoff, done those.

I had to OCR a copy of the book to extract the text, as it was quicker than using the stupid DOS programme that RJ Marles had the files on. Some of the errors have been caused by the software reading the wrong letter, and me not spotting them.

Awww, thats a shame... :(

Awww, thats a shame... :(

once again; sorry william...but it wasn't me this time ;)

I notice that you don't currently have a photo of the 1806-7 Penny, if you wish you may use this photo of an 1807 from my collection:

1807%20Penny%20Obv.jpg

1807%20Penny%20Rev.jpg

Oops, brain fart!

It is the 1806-7 halfpenny that you don't have, so the following photo is the one you might need:

1806%20Halfpenny%20Obv.jpg

1806%20Halfpenny%20Rev.jpg

Thanks, I could certainly make use of that.

What I will probably do at some point in ask you lot if you kind find certain images for me to use. I can find most from my own images or from using Colin Cookes, but there will be others I will need, I'm sure.

If I may be so bold, what purpose does the list of monarchs serve? I would suspect that anyone smart enough to collect British coins will already know who has ruled the country for the last 200 years and if not that information is readily avaliable elsewhere. Im my opinion that space could be better used with perhaps a list of the operational dates of the various mints.

Two more points:

1. Looks like this book is taking in a big part of the reign of George III, for example you have all of the 3d. from 1762, copper from 1797. Why not just go all the way and take in all of the coins from George's reign, it would only be a small step from where you are now.

2. I grant Rotographic the right to use any photographs or other graphics or images that may be of use found on my website (http://www.aethelred.net). If you need anything cropped or altered in any way, or if you need additional photographs, please feel free to ask.

i agree i always though the monarch thing was pointless too...

If I may be so bold, what purpose does the list of monarchs serve? I would suspect that anyone smart enough to collect British coins will already know who has ruled the country for the last 200 years and if not that information is readily avaliable elsewhere. Im my opinion that space could be better used with perhaps a list of the operational dates of the various mints.

Oh yes, that thing will be going, I just haven't got around to doing the foreword/contents/introduction kind of pages yet. The list is useful for novices, I'll try to squeeze it in somewhere, but it does look like a contents page, when it isn't!

And you're right about the dates, I actually didn't mean to go back that far, but seem to have gotten carried away! I wanted it to overlap into GIII, but not to cover it all. I want to carry on with the Collectors George III Coins book, and with your help, create a really wonderful volume on GIII alone.

I originally wanted to start at 1800 with silver, and 1797 with copper. I'll change the next version to scrub those carried away 3d's!

2. I grant Rotographic the right to use any photographs or other graphics or images that may be of use found on my website (http://www.aethelred.net). If you need anything cropped or altered in any way, or if you need additional photographs, please feel free to ask.

Thankyou very much, I'll check it out and I'm sure I'll be using stuff. I've already taken your halfpenny, posted above!

Chris, is the pdf file ok? I have tried to access it a few times but Acrobat Reader says it's damaged and can't be opened.

When i try it, the screen is just blank... What's wrong with it?

It works ok for me. I've deleted it, and re uploaded it just now.

I'm still having the same problem. It downloads and when I try to open it, AR reader says the file is damaged.

Edward, are you ok with a 2mb email attachment? I could email it.