British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Master Jmd

What would be your dream coin?

What would be your dream coin?...what coin would you love to own?

-----------

Mine would be a clash between these three:

1) Cromwell Patern Farthing

2) Angel...dont mide which :)

3) Anne Farthing (1713-14)

Someone did this a while ago it went something like "If you had £X, what would you buy?"

Edit: Plus this is the "Nothing to do with coins area"

Edited by Emperor Oli

Someone did this a while ago it went something like "If you had £X, what would you buy?"

Edit: Plus this is the "Nothing to do with coins area"

oops...but i am saying what is your dream coin, not what coin would you buy ;)

I would love an 1826 £5 proof, it is such a dreamy coin, much better than the Una-and-the-lion £5 in my opinion.

What would be your dream coin?...what coin would you love to own?

-----------

Mine would be a clash between these three:

1) Cromwell Patern Farthing

2) Angel...dont mide which :)

3) Anne Farthing (1713-14)

I had an Anne 1713 Pattern farthing.....Sold it.

Henry III Gold twenty pence, you ever seen one Chris? ;)

I have only seen pictures :D

I have only seen pictures :D

I saw a colour picture once... most a b&w though :(

Why are they so rare? Weren't many minetd? Were they withdrawn from circulation?

but i am saying what is your dream coin, not what coin would you buy

Same thing

If you had enough money you would buy your dream coin JMD.

Why are they so rare? Weren't many minetd? Were they withdrawn from circulation?

Well they were minted briefly, quite a few minted i should imagine, they were valued at 20d, but the gold value rose to 24d, so there was a 4d profit from melting them down, so many merchants and what not melted probably as many as they could get their hands on. The government realised they'd made a bit of a cock up and recalled as many as they could and they probably melted them for a profit too no doubt.

Only about 6 or 7 specimens are known to exist... the rest got melted. (because they were undervalued)

Which brings me onto the hammered gold florins they went the other way, they're wasn't enought gold in those so the merchants wouldn't accept them (they were overvalued), so most of those went into the pot too... probably at a loss.

If you had enough money you would buy your dream coin JMD.

I wouldn't buy an Angel because i would not know where to store it within my collection...i would buy the farthings seeing as i am trying to collect them ;)

So it is not nesessarily the same thing Oli :rolleyes:

Edited by Master Jmd

But then it would not be your dream coin. If it was your dream coin, then wanting to buy the coin would far outweigh the problem of where to store it in your collection.

My dream coin is a gothic crown, and I would definitely buy that.

I would love an 1826 £5 proof, it is such a dreamy coin, much better than the Una-and-the-lion £5 in my opinion.

I'm with you on that one HPJ. Ever since I saw the 1826 proof set and examined the £5 I've thought it one of the most beautiful coins I've yet encountered. And, assuming that the money was forthcoming, I probably stand a better chance of acquiring one than I do that 1952 half crown. Mind you, I'd want the whole 1826 set, in the original box - still cheaper than an Una as well :D

still cheaper than an Una as well :D

Although that totally grammatically correct, an just doesn't sound as good as a.

I like the Una, and the '26 but to be honest i prefer the high grade William IV stuff. A top grade W4 Sovereign or £2 coin would be a thing of beauty...

Then again so would a Queen Mary Sovereign... gorgeous was that specimen that Colin Cooke had... it was purely beautiful.