British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Morning all. I know this won't apply to the majority, but if anyone has any Charles I coins of Chester, W(orcester), SA(lopia), Hartlebury Castle, 'A' or 'B' mints, 'Garter' or Oxford 1644 coins, please could I have high res images of them. Thanks.

Morning all. I know this won't apply to the majority, but if anyone has any Charles I coins of Chester, W(orcester), SA(lopia), Hartlebury Castle, 'A' or 'B' mints, 'Garter' or Oxford 1644 coins, please could I have high res images of them. Thanks.

Sounds interesting Rob, is it for a new publication?

I would have thought you are after high res images of the already known coins? as I would have thought these issues can't have many unknown pieces.

There is the rough looking SA halfcrown with RR at the moment, but I guess you have seen that. Plus I know someone with a 'connon-ball' halfcrown which as far as I know is unpublished, might be worth trying to gain a picture of this one.

I would have thought you are after high res images of the already known coins? as I would have thought these issues can't have many unknown pieces.

There is the rough looking SA halfcrown with RR at the moment, but I guess you have seen that. Plus I know someone with a 'connon-ball' halfcrown which as far as I know is unpublished, might be worth trying to gain a picture of this one.

I'm trying to resolve the W, SA, Chester and Hereford problem plus all the minor issues which must impinge on the commission area. I need as many hi-res images as possible to try and sort out the punch movements and chronology. I think I have a solution for over 90% of it based on a radical rethink, but now need to prove my theory wrong. As always, the concept comes in a flash, the basic skeleton takes a day to write down and order, but getting all the corroborative data for, or contradictory evidence against will take ages (a couple years in all probability).ANY images are potentially useful, but the bigger the better.

One I missed off the list above is the 1644 dated C H below the horse. The BM's is crap, but does show the date. The one illustrated in Besly's Coins and Medals of the Civil War has good centres but virtually no legend. I want to know the initial mark employed if anyone can help. Another thing that might be useful is to extend the Oxford dates through to the end in 1646. Thanks.

Edited by Rob

I'm trying to resolve the W, SA, Chester and Hereford problem plus all the minor issues which must impinge on the commission area. I need as many hi-res images as possible to try and sort out the punch movements and chronology. I think I have a solution for over 90% of it based on a radical rethink, but now need to prove my theory wrong. As always, the concept comes in a flash, the basic skeleton takes a day to write down and order, but getting all the corroborative data for, or contradictory evidence against will take ages (a couple years in all probability).ANY images are potentially useful, but the bigger the better.

One I missed off the list above is the 1644 dated C H below the horse. The BM's is crap, but does show the date. The one illustrated in Besly's Coins and Medals of the Civil War has good centres but virtually no legend. I want to know the initial mark employed if anyone can help. Another thing that might be useful is to extend the Oxford dates through to the end in 1646. Thanks.

I see what you mean with the Besly C H coin, also the BM's one with both very light in legend, though the C H half crown apparently in the Fitzwilliam (seems to be same dies as Besly!?) show a clear date on the reverse (1644) with supposedly 2 pellets (stated as mm) to the obverse legend above kings head which can be seen (just!)

Presumably with an unpublished die combination? The Besly SA coin illustrated has Allen die 41 which he didn't record. There must be a few other combinations out there which if they appeared for general consumption would simplify the chronology immensely. A picture would be useful - as I said before, any picture would potentially add something.

I need pictures of two Oxford halfcrowns. Morrieson 1644 types C3 and C4 with the billet stops on the reverse if anyone can help. Thanks.

I have a picture of Adams 192 (C3) already which is probably illustrated in Bull.

Edited by Rob

The silence is deafening. Just a reminder to anyone who can but hasn't contributed so far. Any grade coin is ok as long as the image is good enough. Thanks to those who have sent images.

The silence is deafening. Just a reminder to anyone who can but hasn't contributed so far. Any grade coin is ok as long as the image is good enough. Thanks to those who have sent images.

The absence of any of these coins in my collection is not so much deafening, as blinding :P

Picture wanted of a Worcester halfcrown, Allen dies L-57. Anyone? Any image is acceptable. Thanks.

Picture wanted of a Worcester halfcrown, Allen dies L-57. Anyone? Any image is acceptable. Thanks.

Rob - I'm sorry to say that I don't have an example of the coin(!)

I assume that you already have the photo of L-57 from Allen's BNJ paper?

Other images of the dies are:

Lockett pt IV: Lot 2552 is Allen L-rev unpublished; Lot 2553 is Allen J-57

Rees-Jones (SCA 117) Lot 368 - Allen L-rev unpublished (not the Lockett coin)

If you don't have these catalogues please PM me and I'll get them scanned

Edited by kildonan

Rob - I'm sorry to say that I don't have an example of the coin(!)

I assume that you already have the photo of L-57 from Allen's BNJ paper?

Other images of the dies are:

Lockett pt IV: Lot 2552 is Allen L-rev unpublished; Lot 2553 is Allen J-57

Rees-Jones (SCA 117) Lot 368 - Allen L-rev unpublished (not the Lockett coin)

If you don't have these catalogues please PM me and I'll get them scanned

Thanks, I have these catalogues. What I am looking for is an image or images that are bigger than 1:1 as I am trying to match punches. As you wil know from Allen's article, this die combination doesn't use the same punches as the other W/SA coins, so I need to cast the net further afield. Exeter, York and Oxford are possibilities as we know that various engravers were transferred from other mints such as the man who engraved the Oxford 1644 revs 3 & 4 with the billet stops, who then transferred to the Carey commission area where he engraved the pear(?) shilling obverses, shilling rev.5 and the Shrewsbury Briot halfcrown obv.D.

Huge (1-5Mb) photographs of any York halfcrowns required if anyone can help. All types would be useful, but especially those with the groundline (1A, 1B & 1C). Thanks in advance.

Pictures of any example of an H C halfcrown please if anyone can help. Ta.