British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

My car has developed a fault in that the read driver's side door remains deadlocked even when the others are open.

I've tried the door handle at the same time as the remote, thumping the door near the lock mechanism at the same time .. etc. And I now have a bruised wrist and .. a locked door. I suspect the deadlock is just stuck as it makes the same 'unlocking' noise as the other doors.

I went on the forum for such things (it's a VW GTI Skoda Octavia TSI) and it seems in the previous model this was a fairly common problem but following the facelift a few years back ..less so. But nobody really seemed to have much advice beyond the mechanically minded that just took the door apart. I am so not up for that!

So I'm going to have to rely on the dealer (who say they have never heard of such a problem) to sort it and hope the warranty covers the cost.

Apart from the nuisance value in that Wifey uses that door to fling her coat in the back when she drives, there's the safety issue of a door that won't work.

Apart from that, I like my car so I'm just having a grumble really. But anyone that wants to cross fingeres that the dealer can fix it tomorrow (taking apart a deadlocked door is a pain of a job I understand ..) please do!

Oooooooh i can forsee a few less coins this year Tom, in the pocket and the cabinet;)

LOL I'm hoping the warranty will cover the costs so I can still afford coins (I'm thinking of a new line!) but the time it might take is a nuisance ..

And since this seems to be a problem with several of the VAG stable cars you'd have thought they'd have Vorsprung'd their bloody Technic by now and got it sorted, wouldn't you? :angry:

LOL I'm hoping the warranty will cover the costs so I can still afford coins (I'm thinking of a new line!) but the time it might take is a nuisance ..

And since this seems to be a problem with several of the VAG stable cars you'd have thought they'd have Vorsprung'd their bloody Technic by now and got it sorted, wouldn't you? :angry:

They Dursn't :lol:

Sod's Law being what it is (or the Gods of Irony needing a laugh) by 8.30 when I took Wifey to work it had unlocked itself!

So I sprayed the bits I could see with WD40 and took it to the dealer. It was a faulty latch. A replacement has been ordered and wil be fitted next week. The waranty covers it all so I can still buy that coin when (and if) it ever appears!

And even better, I not only had a chance to drive my car (a rare occurrence these days as Wifey needs it to get to work) but I get to drive it again next week too!

Did I mention I like my car? Specially that bit that goes broom at the front when you step on the pedal thing ... :D

Sod's Law being what it is (or the Gods of Irony needing a laugh) by 8.30 when I took Wifey to work it had unlocked itself!

So I sprayed the bits I could see with WD40 and took it to the dealer. It was a faulty latch. A replacement has been ordered and wil be fitted next week. The waranty covers it all so I can still buy that coin when (and if) it ever appears!

And even better, I not only had a chance to drive my car (a rare occurrence these days as Wifey needs it to get to work) but I get to drive it again next week too!

Did I mention I like my car? Specially that bit that goes broom at the front when you step on the pedal thing ... :D

Yeah their even better when they don't have wifey dings in the wings etc aren't they

I dinged the wife's car on the driveway because she had left me a knats C**** width to get out of...I still get boll*cked 2 years later...However she gets invited to the repair shops Xmas party.

Good news on the car Tom. :)

Talking of dings, my wife had an accident whilst driving my car in 2010 which was her fault so the claim went on my insurance. Come renewal last year and I dutifully fill in the details when applying online. 1 claim for me, 1 accident for her. A price is quoted which sounds ok so I accept. The insurance company rings up and says is it 2 accidents? I clarify and say no, only the one, but named driver had the prang, so my claim. They say, ok we'll knock one of them off and requote. 10 minutes later after consulting the underwriters the premium has increased by 37%. :blink: Anyone on here involved with insurance and who would like to venture a possible explanation? It's a pity I hadn't had half a dozen accidents, as by extrapolation my premium should have reduced to the point where they were paying me to drive.

Or maybe it was just that I wasn't a valued customer because I didn't use their facilities as much as expected. Plain stupid.

Talking of dings, my wife had an accident whilst driving my car in 2010 which was her fault so the claim went on my insurance. Come renewal last year and I dutifully fill in the details when applying online. 1 claim for me, 1 accident for her. A price is quoted which sounds ok so I accept. The insurance company rings up and says is it 2 accidents? I clarify and say no, only the one, but named driver had the prang, so my claim. They say, ok we'll knock one of them off and requote. 10 minutes later after consulting the underwriters the premium has increased by 37%. :blink: Anyone on here involved with insurance and who would like to venture a possible explanation? It's a pity I hadn't had half a dozen accidents, as by extrapolation my premium should have reduced to the point where they were paying me to drive.

Or maybe it was just that I wasn't a valued customer because I didn't use their facilities as much as expected. Plain stupid.

Oh well, I had a vauxhall astra. It got stolen from my driveway, when found and written off, the insurance compnay offered me £80 for it as it had no M.O.T on it at the time, I took it, come renewal, guess how much my premium went up..... yep £80. Thank you A-Plan.

Edited by Gollum

Go compare...as the ditty goes.

My latest requote from direct line was a bit of a jump...Go compare....and I use Privilege who are part of direct line but £150 cheaper.

Work that one out.

My latest requote from direct line was a bit of a jump...Go compare....and I use Privilege who are part of direct line but £150 cheaper.

Work that one out.

There's no rhyme or reason to any of it. I'm pretty sure that their quotes computer software is little more than a fixed number plus a random number.

Work that one out.

There's no rhyme or reason to any of it. I'm pretty sure that their quotes computer software is little more than a fixed number plus a random number.

Nah, their all conected to a crystal ball and the ethereal world

Work that one out.

Nope - no fixed number involved at any stage! Just a spotty teenager being paid minimum wage on a weekly contract tapping the details in to the magic-maker...

There is a field called 'competitive quote' (ie - a quote received from another insurer) - pop £0 in there, and the premium drops about 80%!

A guy in my department got done for fraud for putting all his friends' policies through at virtually free! Good old Norwich Union!