British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

In my recent trip to Orlando, Florida, and the FUN (Florida United Numismatic) Convention, I found a new variety for me. I have since found out there are a few others out there, but very few. I have a F192, 1922 Penny, with a prominent "dot" on the middle tine of the Trident. It is a pretty nice penny, but does have a few stains. Below is a pic of the coin.

Does anyone out there have any information about this one?

post-509-014946600 1326325649_thumb.jpg

post-509-008696600 1326325682_thumb.jpg

In my recent trip to Orlando, Florida, and the FUN (Florida United Numismatic) Convention, I found a new variety for me. I have since found out there are a few others out there, but very few. I have a F192, 1922 Penny, with a prominent "dot" on the middle tine of the Trident. It is a pretty nice penny, but does have a few stains. Below is a pic of the coin.

Nice find Bob! Did you pay a premium or was it sold as a standard 1922? The one in the James Workman Sale made £350

I assume it's a speck flaw like the 1897 O*NE

smile.gif

David

You are probably right David, although it really looks like it was an intentional "Dot" because it is a very sharp. I did buy it for a standard 1922...once in a while you get lucky! <gggg>. I traded email's with Michael Gouby, and Bernie Workman regarding the coin, and they both referred me to the Workman sale. Bernie said he new of one other example (besides the Workman example), so I thought I would ask around, if there were any others known, here on the Forum. Thanks for the reply.

I have one (I'll post in a few days when I get home)..

I know of maybe 3-4 others, probably a few more out there....

Is that a dot in the middle of the trident shaft to Bob? I heard of a dot being on a penny there, can't remember if it was the 1922 or not, but never seen one on the prong before.It needs a bath of olive oil

Interesting. When I posted my 1821 sixpence the other day, I didn't think it worth also mentioning the presence of a similar "dot" in the date on the reverse. It's not listed in Davies, but you can see it quite clearly after the figure 2 in the date.

post-4737-099314400 1326369041_thumb.jpg

Is that a dot in the middle of the trident shaft to Bob? I heard of a dot being on a penny there, can't remember if it was the 1922 or not, but never seen one on the prong before.It needs a bath of olive oil

Dave, What you see on the trident shaft is a light contact mark. I do need to somehow contain the staining...it is also on the reverse. The last time I used olive oil, it darkened the coin, which I don't want to do. Any other ideas?.....

Dave, What you see on the trident shaft is a light contact mark. I do need to somehow contain the staining...it is also on the reverse. The last time I used olive oil, it darkened the coin, which I don't want to do. Any other ideas?.....

Try a different brand of olive oil, something slightly more acidic.

Well done Bob, always good to grab something unexpected!! :)

as promised...

images of my 1922 dot on trident

Think this one will always be rare as the spot will almost certainly be the first thing to wear away, so it will only be found in a small subset of high grade 1922 pennies.

David

as promised...

Nice copy Gary. Adding your coin to those known already, makes four (4) total! I am sure there are more out there though. Davidrj may have a point about the available quantity of 1922 "Dots", due to that part of the coin wearing first!

as promised...

Nice copy Gary. Adding your coin to those known already, makes four (4) total! I am sure there are more out there though. Davidrj may have a point about the available quantity of 1922 "Dots", due to that part of the coin wearing first!

Thanks Bob,

I'm sure there are a few more that we don't know about yet.....

as promised...

Thanks Bob,

I'm sure there are a few more that we don't know about yet.....

I don't have one in my collection but was made aware of it by Bernie Workman (I believe). I do have a large number of 1922 coins to go through when I have time, so it's possible though unlikely I'll find something.

i have a VF 1922 penny, it could be a dot, all that is left a slightly differant coloured mark there, so it is either just one of those things, or it does indeed wear very quickly

i have a VF 1922 penny, it could be a dot, all that is left a slightly differant coloured mark there, so it is either just one of those things, or it does indeed wear very quickly

Picture?

i cant see it on the picture, it is very very hard to spot even with a magnifier. requires particular angles to see the slight change in brown.

On 1/11/2012 at 7:55 AM, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

I have one (I'll post in a few days when I get home)..

I know of maybe 3-4 others, probably a few more out there....

I have just noticed this thread and have one also.

As the thread is a few years old wondered if the numbers have increased alot ?.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

I have just noticed this thread and have one also.

As the thread is a few years old wondered if the numbers have increased alot ?.

I have not heard of any new copys, how about anyone else? I still have mine. :-)

This 1922 trident dot variety is both interesting and unusual. However, it should be pointed out that the likely origin of the raised dot on this coin is rust on the die. Such rust can lead to a circular pit in the hardened steel die, resulting in a round dot when the coin is struck. This has recently been studied in some detail, and below is a link to this article in the Journal of the Numismatic Association of Australia.

http://www.numismatics.org.au/pdfjournal/Vol27/vol-27-article-1.pdf

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

• Like 2

I have a 1917 penny with a raised dot at the left of the date .Will need to dig it out and try and get a pic up.

I have a 1922 with the dot also. If a study was done you should be able to see the dot gradually form. I had a 1946 with a minor spiders webb crack where the dot was to form, I sold it before I realised what it was.

Somewhere I have a '22 with a die crack forming twixt tines of the trident....

If I had an unxplained dot on my shaft I would be more worried:o than anything else

On 16 August 2017 at 1:50 PM, copper123 said:

If I had an unxplained dot on my shaft I would be more worried:o than anything else

:lol: