British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

I would value members' grading opinions

I am in the process of preparing many of my coins for sale to fund my 1540-1946 silver 'type' collection, would anyone mind venturing an opinion as to how I should grade this coin for sale?

1915_Half_Crown_Rev1.png

1915_Half_Crown_Obv1.png

Any opinions appreciated :D

I am in the process of preparing many of my coins for sale to fund my 1540-1946 silver 'type' collection, would anyone mind venturing an opinion as to how I should grade this coin for sale?

I would say EF/gEF.

I would say EF/gEF.

I want it in my collection so I will say "poor" and hope you are blind and I get a cheap price :lol: :lol: . Seriously, i have no idea but it is pretty and shiny, Gollum likes.

I would say EF/gEF.

I'd agree with Nick, i'd go with the EF mark. Have you thought about offering some of your coins on the forum Paulus? Anything less than 100 quid can be offered here in the items for sale thread. It will save a few quid ebay fees as well.

Maybe put it in for a week, and if no offers or takers on your price then list it on the bay.Maybe list what you're selling and then send the pictures onto anyone who's interested and maybe your opinion of grade against each coin.

Just a thought.

Edited by azda

The reverse has no discernible wear and what looks like full lustre - I'd give that UNC. The obverse has a few light flattened points - I'd give that GEF. So, GEF/UNC. (The reverse is always better than the obverse on that series, right up until 1926 - unless the coin is truly UNC of course!)

good ef with lots of eye appeal......nice coin

daves idea of offering coins for sale here is a good un, i would join gollum in the que.

ski

i have no idea but it is pretty and shiny, Gollum likes.

magpie may have been a better name, they like shiny objects too :D

I actually like magpie better but it was a late thought, so if Peck wants to change it AGAIN go for it Peck

I actually like magpie better but it was a late thought, so if Peck wants to change it AGAIN go for it Peck

were gonna have to have a christening party.......whoooo drinks are on momo33/gollum/magpie. :D:D:D

post-5911-009779500 1326203548_thumb.jpg

Edited by ski

The reverse has no discernible wear and what looks like full lustre - I'd give that UNC. The obverse has a few light flattened points - I'd give that GEF. So, GEF/UNC. (The reverse is always better than the obverse on that series, right up until 1926 - unless the coin is truly UNC of course!)

There are many grading expert in this forum not me.

Experts here can make a physical authentication and grading coins approve or mark by Red Riely and others.just a comment.

I would say EF/gEF.

I'd agree with Nick, i'd go with the EF mark. Have you thought about offering some of your coins on the forum Paulus? Anything less than 100 quid can be offered here in the items for sale thread. It will save a few quid ebay fees as well.

Maybe put it in for a week, and if no offers or takers on your price then list it on the bay.Maybe list what you're selling and then send the pictures onto anyone who's interested and maybe your opinion of grade against each coin.

Just a thought.

Good idea Azda thanks, I will, those eBay fees sure are a killer!

Unfortunately powers to me have don't I, ascribing to me you are :P Chris changing your username able to he is :D Jedi merely I am

Yes, Chris NameMaster is. Rest of us, Padawan only. Force is not strong enough in these ones.

:huh: Do the two posts above have any relevant content? If so, please translate -thanks.

:huh: Do the two posts above have any relevant content? If so, please translate -thanks.

Jedi knight not you are. :D

Bloody good job. You're weird.

Thats rich coming from a coin collector!

Thats rich coming from a coin collector!

I think Rob may suffer from AstraBellophobia!

there are special 2p toilet seats that help you get over that!!!

Edited by ski

:lol:

:lol:

I think the correct malady is AstroBelloignoramia. :lol:

1915_Half_Crown_Rev1.png

1915_Half_Crown_Obv1.png

I will now attempt to return this thread to sanity, which is rich coming from me. OK it's at least EF, whether it goes any higher is very difficult to assess on screen. Inspect the king's upper ear and the lions' faces on the reverse. Do they show any sign of flatness? If so, you have fallen to GEF, a little more and it's EF. High grade coins really need inspecting in the hand.

1915_Half_Crown_Rev1.png

1915_Half_Crown_Obv1.png

I will now attempt to return this thread to sanity, which is rich coming from me. OK it's at least EF, whether it goes any higher is very difficult to assess on screen. Inspect the king's upper ear and the lions' faces on the reverse. Do they show any sign of flatness? If so, you have fallen to GEF, a little more and it's EF. High grade coins really need inspecting in the hand.

Thanks Red, they are very valuable observations and underlines to me that it is a real lottery buying high grade coins on-line as you can't see them in the hand ... my ignorance is also embarrassing, I thought GEF was better than EF! What is in between EF and aUNC then, EF+ or something? GUNC?? Sorry, still a novice, I will buy the book!

Thanks Red, they are very valuable observations and underlines to me that it is a real lottery buying high grade coins on-line as you can't see them in the hand ... my ignorance is also embarrassing, I thought GEF was better than EF! What is in between EF and aUNC then, EF+ or something? GUNC?? Sorry, still a novice, I will buy the book!

There is no officially laid down grading nomenclature but most people go with (in ascending order);

Poor

Fair

F

GF

NVF

VF

GVF

NEF

EF

GEF

AU

Unc.

'+' and '?' are often thrown in just to indicate that it is (in the grader's opinion) better than or not quite as good as the stated grade. You will also come across 'Good' and 'Very Good' which are only semi-official in the UK although the norm in America and an attrocious mis-use of the English language actually being less than 'fine'! However, don't let me put you off from buying the book...

If you like it put it in your trouser.There are Unc which I would not want and some EF that I would AHHHH.

Each to our own...we don't drive the same car or live in one house.That coin is a beauty...don't give it a grade.I still like Linda Lusardi but she wouldn't sit in my tray of Uncs...although I would shed my white gloves. ;)