British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

I would value members' grading opinions

Two things occur to me:

Is there a resource anyone knows of where you can see high res photos of various grades to compare your prize possessions against? If for example the dies on small coins like this didn't produce anything better than my example then there wouldn't be anything better out there I guess (rim knocks and bag marks aside!)

When selling I like to be completely open and honest, the last thing I want is a disgruntled buyer ... but would it really make sense to supply very high res photos that magnify tiny imperfections that would not otherwise be detected? After all, as some have observed, you wouldn't expect to examine 400mm pictures of a crown (or would you?), and if you did all sorts of things might show up!

Just a comment.

Grading companies US and GB may have photo preservation of graded coins and there pop report???

Pictures from members here who sold coins or dealers and members and their coin collection.

The smaller denominations issue definitely needs to be taken into account, for two reasons:

As has been mentioned as we magnify to standard image sizes to fit our monitors, the imperfections on a smaller coin will magnify further than larger denominations because the factor magnification is increased. When looking through a lens obviously the magnification is the same and therefore the imperfections etc will be the same, but as a proportion of the coin size they will also magnify. Additionally if you took at a small rim knock on a farthing, because of the dimension of the coin it mayl look like a substantial issue, but if the same size fault was transferred to a penny, it would not be as noticeable, because as a proportion of the coin's surface/edge it becomes smaller. The same occurs with carbon/verdigris spots.

Secondly the die detail has to be finer with smaller denominations and therefore does not always fully reproduce when struck. Whilst finer details such as the lighthouse brickwork/windows, Britannia's face etc clearly strike on many pennies, I would suggest the same percentage of coins do not share this feature across the farthing range because the features are smaller as a result of the design being reduced and are therefore not always visible. I am not too familiar with silver coinage but would expect the same differences to occur between sixpences/halfcrowns etc.

Also, just to further clarify...when I said 'tarnish' it was very much tongue in cheek, I wouldn't have followed the statement with a cash offer of £60 (which I of course knew would not be accepted for such a lovely coin) if I truly thought the toning was best described that way. I guess this thread moved at a million miles an hour, easy to forget who said what when!

So that's no to 60 quid then Paulus? 'joke...right!'

A very interesting thread, like a numismatic soap!

Also, just to further clarify...when I said 'tarnish' it was very much tongue in cheek, I wouldn't have followed the statement with a cash offer of £60 (which I of course knew would not be accepted for such a lovely coin) if I truly thought the toning was best described that way. I guess this thread moved at a million miles an hour, easy to forget who said what when!

It has been a great thread, does anyone know if we can access the grading companies photographs at all?

60 quid is an aUNC price for my 6d so it's a fair price, but I think I will be hanging on to it as my best example of an Eddie 7 6d type, thanks all the same!

It has been a great thread, does anyone know if we can access the grading companies photographs at all?

60 quid is an aUNC price for my 6d so it's a fair price, but I think I will be hanging on to it as my best example of an Eddie 7 6d type, thanks all the same!

Create an account at CGS and if the members have requested photos at the time of order then there will be photos, but they are not that large on the website, you may be better looking at some US auction results for the better pictures, but then you get the US grading.

[

I'd do the same TBH Paul, i'd also hang onto the1915 Halfcrown to

Create an account at CGS and if the members have requested photos at the time of order then there will be photos, but they are not that large on the website, you may be better looking at some US auction results for the better pictures, but then you get the US grading.

In most cases, the CGS photos are not of sufficient size/quality to be able to discern the finer details.