British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DAVID O

GB TEN PENCE VARITIES

Hello. I have just purchased CHECK YOUR CHANGE, latest edition, and on page 28 reference is made to the many varities of the TEN PENCE couin. Apparently Ron Stafford wrote some papers on the subjest. Does anyone know of web pages that include these? I have checked the website given by Chris in the book but cannot find reference to it. Many thanks

Hello. I have just purchased CHECK YOUR CHANGE, latest edition, and on page 28 reference is made to the many varities of the TEN PENCE couin. Apparently Ron Stafford wrote some papers on the subjest. Does anyone know of web pages that include these? I have checked the website given by Chris in the book but cannot find reference to it. Many thanks

These were published in various editions of Coin Monthly magazine. There are people in this forum who probably have copies of these and could upload them. There is a good case for Chris to find space in CHECK YOUR CHANGE for them, even though they are not legal tender anymore. Otherwise we're left with the risible notion that 1992 was the only year for 10p varieties. There were several much more rare before then.

and after them ;)

i wouldn't mind seeing these either.

I have now discovered that I have the article published in Coin Monthly February 1979 - "Survey of 20,000 Florins" by Ron Stafford. It runs to around 8 pages which I could scan and upload here one-by-one, if you're interested. All the 10p varieties known up to 1978 were included in his results, with illustrated examples of each type.

Hopefully there are no copyright issues with doing this, as CM ceased to exist nearly 20 years ago?

I have now discovered that I have the article published in Coin Monthly February 1979 - "Survey of 20,000 Florins" by Ron Stafford. It runs to around 8 pages which I could scan and upload here one-by-one, if you're interested. All the 10p varieties known up to 1978 were included in his results, with illustrated examples of each type.

Hopefully there are no copyright issues with doing this, as CM ceased to exist nearly 20 years ago?

I'd quite like to know exactly what the copyright situation is for this publication. Somebody on here, a few months back, suggested that it would be useful if the entire series of CMs could be digitised as a resource. I have pretty much all of them right up to early 1992 and have a scanner plus the software and skills, plus time to do it, but it's a huge task and I ain't going to if I immediately fall foul of copyright. Does anybody know? My understanding is that copyright lasts at least 70 or 80 years, and presumably when CM went out of business it was sold to another publisher. If so then they and their descendent companies now own the copyright. However, if it just ceased trading then I don't know what the situation is.

I'd quite like to know exactly what the copyright situation is for this publication. Somebody on here, a few months back, suggested that it would be useful if the entire series of CMs could be digitised as a resource. I have pretty much all of them right up to early 1992 and have a scanner plus the software and skills, plus time to do it, but it's a huge task and I ain't going to if I immediately fall foul of copyright. Does anybody know? My understanding is that copyright lasts at least 70 or 80 years, and presumably when CM went out of business it was sold to another publisher. If so then they and their descendent companies now own the copyright. However, if it just ceased trading then I don't know what the situation is.

CM was published by the Numismatic Publishing Company - Googling it doesn't come up with anything. My thought is that Token Publishing (who publish Coin News) might be the best people to ask? I did scan and upload an article on varieties published in the Coin And Medals Annual 1970. That hasn't brought any comeback. I don't think people care that much in this particular field, but to upload the entire magazine contents over its run - that would be a different matter possibly.

CM was published by the Numismatic Publishing Company - Googling it doesn't come up with anything. My thought is that Token Publishing (who publish Coin News) might be the best people to ask? I did scan and upload an article on varieties published in the Coin And Medals Annual 1970. That hasn't brought any comeback. I don't think people care that much in this particular field, but to upload the entire magazine contents over its run - that would be a different matter possibly.

If someone tried it for financial gain I think notice would soon be taken.

OK, so the company is dissolved and not sold. I wonder who owns the copyright - presumably whoever the owner of the company was?

Edited by DaveG38

OK, so the company is dissolved and not sold. I wonder who owns the copyright - presumably whoever the owner of the company was?

I believe the title was offered to Token Publishing, who turned it down? This would have been mid-1990s. That's why I suggest they might be the best people to ask.

So far I have only been able to trace the following staff of the old company.

Margaret and Peter linton.

Peter Williams.

David Coultridge.

From what i can make out peter and Margaret are deceased according to google. However it may be that the copyright went to either of the big two, spink or Krause. Companies house seems to hold no information on their dissolvment either.

Thank you all very much for your replies. I wonder if Ron Stafford is still alive. Does anyone know? He would be the best contact in this situation.

I have received an email from spink. They do not own any copyright from that old firm.

Dear Mr Williams,

In response to your request for information regarding "Numismatic Publishing Company", we know nothing of their heirs or successors so can not help you in this regard.

Sincerely

Philip Skingley

I believe the title was offered to Token Publishing, who turned it down? This would have been mid-1990s. That's why I suggest they might be the best people to ask.

Peckris,

I did ask them about this title some 18 months ago and they rather loftily claimed that it was nothing to do with them.

Edited by DaveG38

So far I have only been able to trace the following staff of the old company.

Margaret and Peter linton.

Peter Williams.

David Coultridge.

From what i can make out peter and Margaret are deceased according to google. However it may be that the copyright went to either of the big two, spink or Krause. Companies house seems to hold no information on their dissolvment either.

I know a lady named Nicky Diamond, who worked for them as a proof reader in the 1980s, but she doesn't know what happened to the company after she left.

Peckris,

I did ask them about this title some 18 months ago and they rather loftily claimed that it was nothing to do with them.

Yes, they are rather sniffy about the good old CM. I wonder if that's to do with the enduring affection people have for it compared to their own title! However, I do believe the title was offered to them when it ceased publication. (They also claim that their COIN YEARBOOK with blue pages of values, has no connection at all with the COIN YEARBOOK published annually by CM also with blue pages for values!!!) There's more here than meets the eye, I'd love to know all the goss B)

Just bought these Coin Monthlys on Ebay, £17 including postage seems a good buy, considering what current magazines cost.

did coin monthly go broke???

if they did....then the copyright could be held with the receiver that handled the case.

I'm not even sure when exactly they ceased publishing. The last copy I have is February 1992, by which time the pre-decimal gloss had rather worn off and there was little of interest or much original research being done. Decimal hadn't really thrown up much in the way of varieties or other matters of interest so the volume shrank down to I recall around 80 pages from 120-140 in its heyday. Circulation was probably a good deal lower because interestingly its more difficult to get hold of the later issues than it is the late 60s and 1970s.

I have been told that it ceased around June/July time in 1992, but I can't verify that myself. Might be hard to figure out who the receivers were and where the copyright now lies, although if the Lintons owned it and are now deceased then it will reside with their heirs - presumably, but not definitely their children. If others owned it, then clearly it is more tricky. I'm not sure I know where to start to try and find out, but if anybody can suggest anything then I'm willing to give it a go. As I said earlier, I am happy to try and digitise everything I have, which is all dates up to Feb 1992, except May 1980, when it went from bi-monthly back to monthly, but its a big task and I'm not going to even start unless I am certain not to fall foul of copyright law.

I'm not even sure when exactly they ceased publishing. The last copy I have is February 1992, by which time the pre-decimal gloss had rather worn off and there was little of interest or much original research being done. Decimal hadn't really thrown up much in the way of varieties or other matters of interest so the volume shrank down to I recall around 80 pages from 120-140 in its heyday. Circulation was probably a good deal lower because interestingly its more difficult to get hold of the later issues than it is the late 60s and 1970s.

I have been told that it ceased around June/July time in 1992, but I can't verify that myself. Might be hard to figure out who the receivers were and where the copyright now lies, although if the Lintons owned it and are now deceased then it will reside with their heirs - presumably, but not definitely their children. If others owned it, then clearly it is more tricky. I'm not sure I know where to start to try and find out, but if anybody can suggest anything then I'm willing to give it a go. As I said earlier, I am happy to try and digitise everything I have, which is all dates up to Feb 1992, except May 1980, when it went from bi-monthly back to monthly, but its a big task and I'm not going to even start unless I am certain not to fall foul of copyright law.

In fact, the bi-monthly experiment (when it was just called "COIN") only lasted a few months, which is kind of odd when you think May 1980 was when the crazy prices were at their height and the Bunker Hunt cornering of silver was going on.

This was the response of the editor of Coin News when I approached him for information re. writing a Wikipedia entry on coin periodicals and annuals : "Further to your enquiries I can confirm that the current COIN YEARBOOK is in no way connected to Coin Monthly – we started the COIN NEWS YEARBOOK in 1994 and dropped the word NEWS and adopted the blue pages in 1997 – after the demise of COIN MONTHLY and the other YEARBOOK. We have never been connected to COIN MONTHLY although were approached with a view to us purchasing the title, we declined." This seems to imply that Coin Monthly ceased between 1994 and 1997?

In fact, the bi-monthly experiment (when it was just called "COIN") only lasted a few months, which is kind of odd when you think May 1980 was when the crazy prices were at their height and the Bunker Hunt cornering of silver was going on.

This was the response of the editor of Coin News when I approached him for information re. writing a Wikipedia entry on coin periodicals and annuals : "Further to your enquiries I can confirm that the current COIN YEARBOOK is in no way connected to Coin Monthly – we started the COIN NEWS YEARBOOK in 1994 and dropped the word NEWS and adopted the blue pages in 1997 – after the demise of COIN MONTHLY and the other YEARBOOK. We have never been connected to COIN MONTHLY although were approached with a view to us purchasing the title, we declined." This seems to imply that Coin Monthly ceased between 1994 and 1997?

That's interesting, as I have never come across any issues post Feb 1992 - has anybody on here got any? Could it be that the Coin Monthly business stopped producing the monthly magazines, but continued to produce the annual 'book' for some years later? And that had then ceased in by 1997. If so, again does anybody have any copies of the 'book' over this period and if so can they indentify the publishers?

Edited by DaveG38

[

That's interesting, as I have never come across any issues post Feb 1992 - has anybody on here got any? Could it be that the Coin News business stopped producing the monthly magazines, but continued to produce the annual 'book' for some years later? And that had then ceased in by 1997. If so, again does anybody have any copies of the 'book' over this period and if so can they indentify the publishers?

Argus Books was apparently the publisher of the 1992 Year Book whereas the 1988 was published by Numismatic Publishing

[

That's interesting, as I have never come across any issues post Feb 1992 - has anybody on here got any? Could it be that the Coin News business stopped producing the monthly magazines, but continued to produce the annual 'book' for some years later? And that had then ceased in by 1997. If so, again does anybody have any copies of the 'book' over this period and if so can they indentify the publishers?

Argus Books was apparently the publisher of the 1992 Year Book whereas the 1988 was published by Numismatic Publishing

I think you mean Coin Monthly not Coin News, but yes, that sounds like a reasonable case. After all, people can currently buy the Coin News YEARBOOK without buying a single issue of Coin News.

[

I think you mean Coin Monthly not Coin News, but yes, that sounds like a reasonable case. After all, people can currently buy the Coin News YEARBOOK without buying a single issue of Coin News.

I do mean Coin Monthly and have amended the post above to avoid further confusion.