50 Years of RotographicPredecimal.com. British Numismatic Trade Association Member - One of the most popular websites on British coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Collectors' Coins Great Britain 2014 Standard Guide to Grading British Coins British and Empire Campaign Medals 1793 to 1902British and Irish Campaign Medals 1902 to 2010England's Striking History Roman Base Metal Coins - A Price Guide Roman Silver Coins - A Price Guide  Available for Kindle Available as .epub
The Current Rotographic printed book titles on Amazon. Click the Kindle icon above to see the Rotographic range for Kindle. Click the .epub icon to purchase as .epub direct from Rotographic.

50 Years of RotographicRotographic.com Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals.

Photo

BRITANNIA?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peckris

Peckris

Former God (now redundant)

• Numismatic Research Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,527 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

What do you make of the last R in BRITANNIAR on this 1821 sixpence? It seems a right mess, but I can't make it out at all.

Attached File  1821 sixpence obv detail.jpg   71.62KB   69 downloads

This isn't just a forum - Purchase British coins, collecting accessories and books on www.predecimal.com

#2 Peckris

Peckris

• 8,527 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

Attached File  1821 sixpence obv.jpg   107.8KB   24 downloads

#3 Nick

Nick

Forum God

• 1,289 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

What do you make of the last R in BRITANNIAR on this 1821 sixpence? It seems a right mess, but I can't make it out at all.

It looks like a die crack (or several close together).

#4 Peckris

Peckris

• 8,527 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

Could be - but what's coming down through the middle of upper loop is what looks like a vertical downstroke at a slight slant, with raised edges on either side. And at the base of the proper downstroke there appears to be something curving to the right and up, like the bottom of a B. What do you think?

#5 Nick

Nick

Forum God

• 1,289 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Could be - but what's coming down through the middle of upper loop is what looks like a vertical downstroke at a slight slant, with raised edges on either side. And at the base of the proper downstroke there appears to be something curving to the right and up, like the bottom of a B. What do you think?

I think that the slanted vertical downstroke is connected to the "branches" of die cracking emanating from the rim, but I do see what you mean about the line curving upwards from the base of the R. Could be the remnants of another letter.

Edited by Nick, 09 January 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#6 Colin G.

Colin G.

Just a man god!!!

• 1,618 posts
  • Interests:Farthings, farthings and more farthings!!! Oh and British Colonial coins

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

I can see what you are pointing out but it does not follow the shape of the other B. Does the slanted vertical have the same beaded infil as the other letters or am I seeing things?

I think it is another case of a cluster of die cracks...but........

Thanks
Colin G.

For information about farthing varieties visit - http://www.aboutfarthings.co.uk

Farthings and coins for sale at - http://aboutfarthing.../cart/index.php

#7 ski

ski

Important part of the furniture

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Interests:sixpences, florins and double florins.

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

hi peckris......nice coin, the r looks a bit of a mess for whatever reason, im sure you experts will know for sure, my question....is the "B" of BRITANNIAR out of step with the rest of BRITANNIAR, if so is this normal?
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that cant.

#8 Peckris

Peckris

• 8,527 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

hi peckris......nice coin, the r looks a bit of a mess for whatever reason, im sure you experts will know for sure, my question....is the "B" of BRITANNIAR out of step with the rest of BRITANNIAR, if so is this normal?

That's possible? But possibly quite normal for the period?

Thanks for the compliment - as it's a scan, the shimmering mirror fields have been totally killed; it's a far far better coin than it looks there.

#9 ski

ski

Important part of the furniture

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Interests:sixpences, florins and double florins.

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

But possibly quite normal for the period?

ah okay :)
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that cant.