British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Peckris

BRITANNIA?

What do you make of the last R in BRITANNIAR on this 1821 sixpence? It seems a right mess, but I can't make it out at all.

post-4737-059555500 1326126767_thumb.jpg

post-4737-069695500 1326126892_thumb.jpg

What do you make of the last R in BRITANNIAR on this 1821 sixpence? It seems a right mess, but I can't make it out at all.

It looks like a die crack (or several close together).

Could be - but what's coming down through the middle of upper loop is what looks like a vertical downstroke at a slight slant, with raised edges on either side. And at the base of the proper downstroke there appears to be something curving to the right and up, like the bottom of a B. What do you think?

Could be - but what's coming down through the middle of upper loop is what looks like a vertical downstroke at a slight slant, with raised edges on either side. And at the base of the proper downstroke there appears to be something curving to the right and up, like the bottom of a B. What do you think?

I think that the slanted vertical downstroke is connected to the "branches" of die cracking emanating from the rim, but I do see what you mean about the line curving upwards from the base of the R. Could be the remnants of another letter.

Edited by Nick

I can see what you are pointing out but it does not follow the shape of the other B. Does the slanted vertical have the same beaded infil as the other letters or am I seeing things?

I think it is another case of a cluster of die cracks...but........

hi peckris......nice coin, the r looks a bit of a mess for whatever reason, im sure you experts will know for sure, my question....is the "B" of BRITANNIAR out of step with the rest of BRITANNIAR, if so is this normal?

hi peckris......nice coin, the r looks a bit of a mess for whatever reason, im sure you experts will know for sure, my question....is the "B" of BRITANNIAR out of step with the rest of BRITANNIAR, if so is this normal?

That's possible? But possibly quite normal for the period?

Thanks for the compliment - as it's a scan, the shimmering mirror fields have been totally killed; it's a far far better coin than it looks there.

But possibly quite normal for the period?

ah okay :)