British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

azda

Your thoughts on this please

Was taking a few pictures of some coins. When i was cropping etc came across this, what looks like O for C in CAROLVS 1st picture is the normal C 2nd is the possible O

P1090017.jpg

P1090021.jpg

Edited by azda

Was taking a few pictures of some coins. When i was cropping etc came across this, what looks like O for C in CAROLVS 1st picture is the normal C 2nd is the possible O

Looks like it to me, nice catch Azda

Edited by Gollum

Looks like a damaged C to me. If you look at the O it thins top and bottom whereas the broken C only thins were the gap between the upper and lower jaws should be.

Hang in there Dave

That looks like a corker.

Love it. :)

On the face of it, it looks a clear error. I'm not sure how a damaged C could put extra metal into the mix?

Looks like a damaged C to me. If you look at the O it thins top and bottom whereas the broken C only thins were the gap between the upper and lower jaws should be.

I agree it certainly looks like a die flaw/crack has extended between the curves of the C to form an "O" shape. This is based on the assumption that the style of the O is different.

However having said that it could be argued to be an "O" if you can prove the C on a same denomination without the overstrike is also a different shape which it appears to be on the comparison. Are the photos of two coins that are the same denomination? or are they different denominations from the same maundy set?

I agree it certainly looks like a die flaw/crack has extended between the curves of the C to form an "O" shape. This is based on the assumption that the style of the O is different.

However having said that it could be argued to be an "O" if you can prove the C on a same denomination without the overstrike is also a different shape which it appears to be on the comparison. Are the photos of two coins that are the same denomination? or are they different denominations from the same maundy set?

The possible error is a 3d 1680 the other a 2d 1678. I've scoped the possible error. Sideways O? IE, the fatter sides of a normal O being top and bottom other than left and right (if you get what i mean lol)

post-5057-038092200 1326116142_thumb.jpg

From my scoped picture Gary, you can clearly see that it does'nt thin top and bottom, it's clearly fatter

On the face of it, it looks a clear error. I'm not sure how a damaged C could put extra metal into the mix?

This was also my thought Peck, how would it add metal?

Something would have to cut into the die at that precise point - seems too much of a coincidence.

It wouldn't add metal, it would be incuse on the die. Therefore a die crack that is incuse would result in a raised link between the curves of the C. I agree it could well be a sideways O but you would need to look at the letter styles on a coin of the same denomination to be more certain.

I have seen die cracks in all shapes and sizes and that have made all manner of things look like they have appeared, but you need to be certain.

It wouldn't add metal, it would be incuse on the die. Therefore a die crack that is incuse would result in a raised link between the curves of the C. I agree it could well be a sideways O but you would need to look at the letter styles on a coin of the same denomination to be more certain.

I have seen die cracks in all shapes and sizes and that have made all manner of things look like they have appeared, but you need to be certain.

You need look no further than the O in CAROLVS on the same coin Colin

To me it looks like C on O (or perhaps an inverted C). If the error were discovered after the first strike it would probably explain why the line is thin.

Here a similar example of a danish error coin - K over misplaced N in Skilling:

post-6657-081210100 1326131188_thumb.jpg

You need look no further than the O in CAROLVS on the same coin Colin

Sorry Dave I mean you could do with another 3d so that you can see what a normal C should look like. It may help determine whether it is a rotated C or whether we could discount a C altogether

I think C over inverted or rotated C. The Os are more oval rather than round.

Which would explain no gap in the letter C.

Which would explain no gap in the letter C.

Quite a blade, that King Oar :D

:lol: But he hasn't got an oar, he's Oaralus times 2.

A very interesting coin, Azda.

:lol: But he hasn't got an oar, he's Oaralus times 2.

A very interesting coin, Azda.

Sorry, that's total rollocks :D

Sorry, that's total rollocks

B over R i think :D

C over another C rotated about 120 degrees. I had a better one on the site for about 3 years @ £45 without any takers until a year ago. Either no interest or no viewers - take your pick.

Sorry, that's total rollocks

B over R i think :D

:lol:

Bowlocks

Edited by Peckris

Bowlocks

so b over r, w over l etc etc etc :)